Howling Question

Hi everyone,

I will show my canine ignorance with this question. :blush (Bernie is my first dog ever.)

Why do dogs howl at sirens???

Last night at midnight, we heard sirens off at the distance. They were very quiet because they weren't close. Bernie then startled me with a bunch of huge, loud howls! He stopped howling when the sirens stopped.

He has heard sirens before go on the street right behind our house, and he never had this response.

I just don't know what to think of that behavior.

???

_________

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

I've not had a "roo-er" until Spirit. He roos whenever he hears sirens and sometimes when Miles, who has a Siamese cat kind of squalling voice, is yowling about something. Spirit starts up and MoMo joins in. Head up, mouths forming "O". Each Christmas the local fire department comes through the neighborhood with the sirens going and Santa waving and throwing candy from the fire truck. Spirit and MoMo had a wonderful howl that day. :lol

I can't shed any light on why other than perhaps the sound speaks to that primal part of our hounds and they think they're joining in a pack howl?

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

In my home we have nightly "singing" sessions. I start the howl, and then two of my three will throw their heads back and howl at the top of their lungs. My third kinda whines, but doesnt actually howl. My current foster boy has no clue what is going on and just sleeps through most of it. I am not sure, but my inclination would say that your hound howls as Bass said to join a pack howl.

Chad

Bernie must have liked the sound and the pitch was perfect for him, perhaps because it was a little farther away.

Our 2 roo 3x time a day almost like clockwork --> after their two feedings and when they wake up in the morning. It starts with one looking at the other, usually sideways out of the corner of their eye, then a little low grumbly growl, then the other starts with the same growl, then it's a howl fest! I let them continue for a few moments and then ask them to stop, and they comply. We have to let them get it over with otherwise they'll keep trying to get it in!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest zombrie

Yes, I believe it is the pitch of the sirens, what BrucieDad said. The only time Mira ever howls is when the phone rings.

Some howl when they are excited, some howl when sad, some howl just when others howl, and some never howl at all!

Guest TBSFlame

None of mine howl at sirens. They can be outside when a sirens sounds and all the dogs in the neighborhood starts howling and our dogs do nothing. They can howl and do but not at sirens.

Scotch roos when my alarm clock goes off. He never did before I got doug and then they would roo together. I thought that once doug died I would never hear rooing again. Actually I have come to welcome it. It reminds me of the both of them together waking me up.

Guest Samantha

We had a litter of 10 greyhound pups who used to roo when the ice cream van visited our street and played his jingling tune I believe its the pitch :dunno:

Guest HHHounds

DeeDee was my rooing hound and I miss her! She used to roo everytime I got home - I expect she will be rooing for me when I go to heaven! Miss that sweet sound!

That's pretty cute, though I'd definitely be alarmed too if my hound suddenly started making that sound! FWIW half-sister Beth is a resolute non-rooer, even during "group roos" at greyhound events -- she looks around like she's got no clue what all those silly dogs are doing.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I wouldn't call it rooing at my house...I call it howling and my five like to do it frequently (especially at night)!!! Sometimes sirens set them off but it's usually some unknown sound that gets mine going. They usually all run outside and tune up but now that it's cold, they like to congregate in the kitchen and fire it up!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)