What Do You Think This Is On Her Tail (See Picture)?

Guest 3greysforme

Some of mine have spots like that on their tail. There are glands there. The only difference is mine aren't red like that, but my boys are black and their skin isn't pink.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

If it's the gland spot, it's normal... on my white dog it's pink'ish, but not irritated or inflamed :) both the males and females, spayed or neutered or intact, can have it.

Edited by FastDogsOwnMe

Guest 3greysforme

oh yay. Her skin is pink and the spot is about about 4-5 inches from where her tail meets her body. I would never have figured out the gland thing! Thank you. Seems like something I could wait until the next vet visit to check out.

not to hijack, but.....

I must FINALLY be a good greyhound mom! I knew EXACTLY what it was just by the title of the thread! And I was always the one asking what I thought silly questions!!!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

If it is what it I think it is, it is colloquially referred to as "Stud tail" common in both make and female dogs and cats. The proper medical term is, Tail Gland Hyperplasia. From what I understand, unless it is painful or infected, it is no problem for the dog. It seems to come and go on my two.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Robin has this, but his spot is much bigger. It's probably about an inch wide, but it is about 3 inches long! He's had it for at least a year, I think, though I'm not positive when it appeared. Has anyone ever seen it that big? The bald skin is grey and scaley, but otherwise it just looks like a bald spot.

:huh

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Robin has this, but his spot is much bigger. It's probably about an inch wide, but it is about 3 inches long! He's had it for at least a year, I think, though I'm not positive when it appeared. Has anyone ever seen it that big? The bald skin is grey and scaley, but otherwise it just looks like a bald spot.

:huh

Sam's got one that's dark brown, dry, at least three inches long. Jacey doesn't have it at all--hasn't in the 4+ years she's lived here. Sam's spot has been there constantly for 7 years or so.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest bluefawn

Penny had this exact same bald spot on her tail for years. I started feeding her chicken feet (raw and frozen) about a year ago, and the spot filled in with hair again in about 3 months time! I have not changed anything else, and she still gets the chicken paws and her coat is so soft! I took her out visiting for her 13th birthday yesterday, and everyone who touched her remarked on how soft her coat is!

Yup, just stud tail. In most of our crew it comes and goes, usually with the shedding seasons.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest BlueCrab

Well people, I learn something new on here every day! Trixie has it, too. I figured it was where she had rubbed it while roaching. Vet looked at it once and didn't seem concerned about it. But I'm kinda wondering if it wasn't something my vet should have known about...? ^_^

Well people, I learn something new on here every day! Trixie has it, too. I figured it was where she had rubbed it while roaching. Vet looked at it once and didn't seem concerned about it. But I'm kinda wondering if it wasn't something my vet should have known about...? ^_^

I was wondering the same thing. I read about this a while ago on GT, knew his "spot" was probably nothing to be concerned about, and didn't think anything more about it. I mentioned it to my vet last time I was there, but I couldn't remember what it was. I think I told him I read about it being "some gland thing", and he was curious about what I was referring to. I thought he would know!

Rereading this post confirms that wondering--I'm surprised he didn't know right away what I was referring to. GT'ers did!

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).