Worrisome News For Jax

Guest OurLacyandJax

I just wanted to add that I drove from NJ to OSU for my Diamond to have her leg amputated and then to have Pearl's spleen removed. (unfortunately, Pearl's outcome wasn't good. She was gone within 2 weeks).

Anyway, Jane was my Ohio hostess, and considering the stress I was under (amputating a 12 yr old's leg), Jane was a Godsend.

I won't hesitate a nanosecond to go out to OSU again (it's a 9-10 hr drive for me).

I hope the lump is nothing, but I'm glad it's getting removed.

My Jade (I just adopted her in March has already had 3 lumps removed. The first on her chest was a hemagioma. The second on her neck was a tricoepithelioma, and the third which we just did last week from her mouth, I haven't gotten back yet.

I'm starting to call her lumpy. But everytime she gets a lump, it will get removed.

good luck!

Thanks again for the note. That is some amazing work, all of you are doing there for your greys. I am guessing our pups have been too good to us in terms of their illness/sickness so far in their lives. All minor stuff.

What you all go through, or already went through - is truly eye-opening. And all of your pups are just plain lucky to even have had known you. And if tested like how you have been tested, I am sure hoping to rise to the occasion.

A hug to Lumpy for me. :-) Is Diamond doing well?

Diamond had a wonderful pain free 6 months. But OS did return to another leg. She passed 2 months (April) after her sister (littermate) Pearl.

I miss them both dearly. But I do not regret my choice for either sister. (I just wish I started chemo sooner with Pearl)

Guest OurLacyandJax

I just wanted to add that I drove from NJ to OSU for my Diamond to have her leg amputated and then to have Pearl's spleen removed. (unfortunately, Pearl's outcome wasn't good. She was gone within 2 weeks).

Anyway, Jane was my Ohio hostess, and considering the stress I was under (amputating a 12 yr old's leg), Jane was a Godsend.

I won't hesitate a nanosecond to go out to OSU again (it's a 9-10 hr drive for me).

I hope the lump is nothing, but I'm glad it's getting removed.

My Jade (I just adopted her in March has already had 3 lumps removed. The first on her chest was a hemagioma. The second on her neck was a tricoepithelioma, and the third which we just did last week from her mouth, I haven't gotten back yet.

I'm starting to call her lumpy. But everytime she gets a lump, it will get removed.

good luck!

Thanks again for the note. That is some amazing work, all of you are doing there for your greys. I am guessing our pups have been too good to us in terms of their illness/sickness so far in their lives. All minor stuff.

What you all go through, or already went through - is truly eye-opening. And all of your pups are just plain lucky to even have had known you. And if tested like how you have been tested, I am sure hoping to rise to the occasion.

A hug to Lumpy for me. :-) Is Diamond doing well?

Diamond had a wonderful pain free 6 months. But OS did return to another leg. She passed 2 months (April) after her sister (littermate) Pearl.

I miss them both dearly. But I do not regret my choice for either sister. (I just wish I started chemo sooner with Pearl)

So very sorry to hear that. That is just insanely tough news to bear. Quite obvious to me you did everything and more for both of em, under the circumstances. As you said, it is good to have no regrets.

Another reason I drive our greyhounds to Ohio State for their chemo is they are in the State of Ohio and not limited on what chemo they can receive.

I wanted my greyhounds to have the doxorubicin and suramin following their amputation due to osteo. The suramin is only available if your hound comes to Ohio State.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest OurLacyandJax

It is well worth the drive from Memphis. I drive our greyhounds up to Ohio State for their amputation and chemo. Our local vet says even with the gas and motel we are doing the best for our greyhounds by taking them to the best place possible. And in my mind I am at peace. I know I have given them the best medical care possible.

After going through the OSU website, I can completely see your point. And if it comes to that, I think you all have convinced me to take him there.

I noticed they offer Chemo drugs for free, for members. Does that require taking the dogs over to OSU, or will they ship that to us, if we request it?

First of all, I am glad you are supporting the program by joining the website. However, you do not need to join the website to use their services. They provide free email and phone consults and also free chemo drugs (just certain ones) to any tattooed retired racer. If you are a member of their website, please submit requests via the site-- this helps them track the requests and automates their metrics. Of course, feel free to call and email if it is urgent. Once again, signing up for the website provides needed funds for this amazing program.

As to the chemo drugs. You do not need to bring your hound to OSU. They will ship directly to your vet. They do not have all possible chemo drugs available. For example, they will typically be able to provide doxorubicin for osteo but not carboplatin.

If you do bring your dog to OSU, there might be a study that you can join. This can provide cutting edge care at little cost to you. Very often, these treatments are only available if you come to OSU. There have been times that a local greyhound owner has taken someone elses hound into their home for some time so that the hound can join a study. I can't guarantee that this kind of long term care would be available, but it is sometimes possible.

For my Joe, he received both doxorubicin and suramin following his amputation due to osteo. The suramin is only available if your hound comes to OSU and can not be shipped elsewhere. I did have to pay for blood work and administration but this was on the order of $100 to $150 for each time ($500 to $750 for the whole course). I am told by others that OSU's normal charges for admin of chemo are less expensive than most places. Joe is also receiving Palladia at no charge for 6 months as part of a study. This is a savings of $300 to $400 a month. After six months, I will need to pay for it if it is still indicated. Your dog has to be seen at OSU for the Palladia study (like most if not all of their studies).

I hope this info helps.

Jane

My idea behind the membership was 90% altruistic - the rest, I was hoping I could use the information/drugs when needed. It is good to know they give these out to all folks at subsidized rates. Makes my decision to pay for the membership even better.

Jane, thanks for all the detailed explanations. You learn so much when something hits close to home. Reminds me of my mom's BC diagnosis. Within a short couple of weeks, I knew a lot more about breast cancer than I knew about my own work.

In a couple days, Jaxaroo's lump will be excised. Hoping for good news from both that and the lymph node FNA.. Still have not heard anything about the FNA cytology results.

In a couple days, Jaxaroo's lump will be excised. Hoping for good news from both that and the lymph node FNA.. Still have not heard anything about the FNA cytology results.

I hope that it is nothing. I wanted to be sure that you realized that a lot of what was discussed in this thread was treatment for bone cancer. Mast cell tumors are treated quite differently. But we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it. Hopefully that time will be never for Jaxaroo.

Jane

Guest OurLacyandJax

A quick update: Jax's lymph node cytology came back normal. No tumor cells. His blood work was normal as well - except for slight hypothyroidism. (Although, I do need to check the numbers some more with some greyt sites).

So today (well, yesterday, Friday. I am still at work, daggone it.) the Roo went to get his lump removed. Vet called and said everything went well. They managed to get fairly good & wide margins. Sent the lump to pathology. We shall see.

Went to pick him up, and he was doing good. Took him home, there was some fluid seepage, but bandaged him up some more. He's on tramadol. And seems to be managing the pain well enough, big boy..

Will post more as I know.

Sending good thoughts and love to all ailing pups out there.

Hoping the path report comes back as "nothing interesting here."

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest OurLacyandJax

Just got the results from the path in. As Batmom said: nothing of interest here. My vet said it was benign, subcutaneous granuloma. More like scar tissue. So according to her, no worries.

Obviously we are so relieved! :colgate Thank you all for the wishes and the prayers. And the information - did not feel as lonely as it would have been, with all of you.

And healing thoughts to all of the ailing puppies!

Awesome!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

:yay:confetti:yay:confetti:yay

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead