Crate Training

I adopted my first greyhound about a month ago. She has been amazing so far! However, when she is put in her crate she bends the bars mainly on the door. She has now started to pull the door inwards. Her nose was getting raw at first but that has stopped and has healed. She has so many toys that she won't play with. I have a few in her crate with her, including a nylabone. I have started to put a kong in there with her if she is in there for longer periods. Any other suggestions???? Thanks!!!!

Image removed, not within the Greytalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 20.27 KB (20,760 bytes) file size.

If she's chewing, bending, etc., I wouldn't crate her anymore. She could hurt herself badly. Better would be to use baby gates or an exercise pen to contain her when the need arises.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks for the quick response. Well, I have 3 cats and they are still getting used to each other. I don't trust her 100% around them alone yet. I know eventually she will be able to roam when we aren't home. She is never in it for very long periods of time till this week and my partner is out of town who is normally home with her. She has done good here lately and yesterday she seem to leave the crate alone.

Image removed, not within the Greytalk signature guidelines of <15 KB file size limit. Your image was 20.27 KB (20,760 bytes) file size.

She can seriously injure herself in the crate, which she clearly hates. Some greyhounds are comfortable in their crates; yours is not. If it were me (and I have cats too) I'd close the cats in a bedroom (with food, water, and a litter box) instead.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi there-

We were really concerned about Bernie and our cat getting used to each other, too. He is used to her now, after the 2.5 months we've had him. He likes to prance right on up behind her, stick his nose on her butt, and she gives him a big hiss!!! :lol

If your Grey hates the crate and is bending the bars, I suggest you allow the Greyhound to roam only a certain area of the house. The cats can have the whole house - because they can run underneath baby gates in doorways. :)

When we didn't need Bernie in the crate (like throughout the night,) when we first got him, but we didn't want him to roam around the house, we kept him inside our bedroom with a baby gate. But, we positioned the gate about six inches off the floor, so our cat had access to the room if she wanted.

Baby gates are worth a shot :colgate

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

I've had 6 greyhounds total, all have lived with cats and I've never owned a crate. If you are concerned I would use a muzzle on the dog and baby gates until the furkids work it all out. :)

I have to agree. Put the cats where they can be safe when you're away from home. You can muzzle you hound if you think she may get into things. I had one who actually broke the welds on a crate when we would leave home and one night we got back and two of the bars were pulled down inside the crate. How he didn't impale himself on them I will never know.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Snarfums

Lupe, our greyhound we have had for about a month now hates the crate too- she hasn't done anything destructive to it yet, but she screams like she's dying when she's alone in there.We also have cats, two of them. We don't trust Tasha enough to be at home alone with them, but I think we will probably start trying to use gates as well. It's worth a try I guess! Maybe we can try this together since we are both learning :)

Thanks for all the help. I left her out of her crate, muzzled, and cats put up, for about 2 hours last night. I would not say she did well. I had her gated off to just the kitchen and living room. I came home to everything on the counters and tables on the floor and a picture in the kitchen on the floor. She wined for about 20 minutes after I got home and then settled down. I guess its the whole separation anxiety thing. I am just going to continue to work with her to get over it. Any suggestions would be helpful!!

We were Murray's third home. When we took him in for his dental we were told that three of his four canine teeth were cracked to the roots, most likely caused by crate chewing he had done in the past . One of those teeth had an abscess forming, as well. Our dog had to endure having three of those giant, deep-rooted teeth pulled.

Just another danger to be aware of when you crate a dog who absolutely does not want (and in Murray's case never needed) to be crated.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

All greyt advice. I would get rid of the crate too as she clearly is very uncomfortable in it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Snarfums

I think what I might try is setting up Skype video and bring a laptop with me in the car or something so I can check on Tasha while I'm "away", that way if she does anything stupid I will be within a short distance and I can come back in and correct her. She does the same thing as yours, she whines and cries like she's being murdered when we're not in the same room with her. I'm full of ideas so I will keep trying as well :)

Baby gates......our boy Jeff laughs at them once they are laying in a crumbled mess on the floor. I wouldn't trust baby gates for any amount of time until you know your doggie won't destroy them for freedom.

Guest LindsaySF

I would not crate a dog that is trying to escape, bending bars, etc. It's dangerous.

Sounds like separation anxiety if she still freaked out when loose. Do a search for "alone training". It will definitely help. Did you leave her with a kong and toys when loose? (They can still lick a kong and pick up soft toys with a muzzle on).

Good luck.