Is White Chocolate Safe For Greys?

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

I read that its ok, but i want to give little buscuits dipped in white 'bark' as gifts to our bark park buddies. Its used for candy making. :) thanks!

If you have the package you might read the ingredients. I thought that white chocolate didn't have any "chocolate" in it, an so should be safe for dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest widowcali

My dogs have eaten soo much chocolate (dark, white, milk) that I'm not sure what is safe and what isn't. :lol:lol

All the instances were totally unintentional though. I swear, Brighid the Wonder Puppy has been known to eat everything in site. :lol:lol

Can you get carob at the speciality store? They might like that better.

White chocolate contains Theobromine, but in such small amounts that Theobromine poisoning is unlikely.

From The Merck Veterinary Manual, here are approximate Theobromine levels of different types of chocolate:

* Dry cocoa powder = 800 mg/oz

* Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 450 mg/oz

* Cocoa bean mulch = 255 mg/oz

* semisweet chocolate and sweet dark chocolate is = 150-160 mg/oz

* Milk chocolate = 44-64 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate

* White chocolate contains an insignificant source of methylxanthines.

Guest chaucersmom

My dogs have eaten soo much chocolate (dark, white, milk) that I'm not sure what is safe and what isn't. :lol:lol

All the instances were totally unintentional though. I swear, Brighid the Wonder Puppy has been known to eat everything in site. :lol:lol

Can you get carob at the speciality store? They might like that better.

Chaucer has gotten into his fair share of chocolate of all degrees in his 11 years... The first few times I paniced, but after discussions with my vet, was made to believe that it is Dark and Semi-sweet that are the danger because of their high levels theobrimine... I have been told white has only trace amounts and is generally not a danger. many of the dog treats I see at our local dog bakery have white and even milk chocolate on them.

In making your decision, use discretion!

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive

Check here (I don't have Flash on this computer, so it won't let me check). What you need to be concerned about is the theobromine, and I think white chocolate does have some, though not very much.

According to this chart a 65 lb dog would need to eat over 30lbs of white chocolate to even get the runs from it. Eating twice her body weight in white chocolate might cause death :lol

Whatever you do, next time you buy a 50 lb block of white chocolate, don't leave it sitting in the middle of your living room while you're away. Other than that, I think you're safe ;)

Whatever you do, next time you buy a 50 lb block of white chocolate, don't leave it sitting in the middle of your living room while you're away. Other than that, I think you're safe ;)

:spoot Absolutely right. :nod Leave it in mine, instead! I will promise not to let Sid eat it. :lol :lol :lol

Seriously, I wouldn't have any qualms letting my dogs eat white chocolate as a treat. I wouldn't give it to them as a regular thing because there's too much fat and sugar in it to be good for them, but ... funny, isn't it? The way we protect our dogs from eating the wrong stuff and then eat it in large quantities ourselves? :angel:P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop