High-Protein, Cheaper Foods?

Guest cwholsin

Guest cwholsin

Hey folks,

Hermes is on Wellness Core right now and is doing well on that, but we may be looking to cut some bills and get more bang for our buck for his food. We're paying around $60 for about 25lbs. I saw a recommendation for Taste of the Wild and they have some high protein foods (30+%) that look good. The thing is, I seem to recall seeing some bad comments on Taste of the Wild. Is it any good? What are some other less expensive but really good quality foods? I've also heard some good things about Chicken Soup for the Soul's dog food.

Thanks guys!

Guest bluefawn

I was feeding Penny the Wellness Senior. Since I lost my job, I have also had to buy a less expensive food. On the WS, her coat had never looked better - very shiny, and soft as velvet. I don't notice any change in that yet, although I am on my second large bag of Nature's Recipe Senior. She doesn't really like it either. I just switched the little girls to Purina One (actually still in the process/mixing phase). I ordered some TOTW samples, and none of the girls like any of them (which surprised me!). I was not thinking (& was battling a 2-day migraine) when I bought the Purina One, and later checked the ingredients and it has..... ewww....... poultry by-products! But cannot take it back now, so will finish the bag. But when I go again to pick one, will just look for one with a higher protein and without the by-products. Meat meal (like chicken meal) is ok though.

We use TOTW for Gee, she needs a grain free food and does very well. For all the others it's a combination of Costco Lamb & Rice Supreme and Costco's Adult Chicken & Rice Supreme with vegetables. They all do very well on it.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest cwholsin

Thanks! I definitely like that it's 5 lbs more for about $20 less and still has the high protein and good fats that he's doing really well on right now. We may switch him over to the TOTW Fowl variety. I appreciate the input! I couldn't remember specifics of what I heard that was bad about TOTW... maybe it was about the company and not the food.

Diamond did have a recall a couple of years ago, but not TOTW. Might that be it? I can't remember seeing anything bad about TOTW. :huh

Chicken Soup is a good food, but at 24% is maybe a teeny bit shy of high protein in my book, but everyone has their guidelines.

What do you need high protein for? Agility/active/working dogs? Diabetic dogs?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest cwholsin

Diamond did have a recall a couple of years ago, but not TOTW. Might that be it? I can't remember seeing anything bad about TOTW. :huh

Chicken Soup is a good food, but at 24% is maybe a teeny bit shy of high protein in my book, but everyone has their guidelines.

He's pretty active and has super poops on high protein :)

Mine were on Chicken Soup for a while and I loved it. I only switched because the only supplier in my area can't keep it in stock.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Many here disagree, but no pet needs that much protein, nor does protein level have anything to do with poop output. That's probably the grain free effect. The extra protein won't hurt him, but he likely would do just fine on anything in the 20% range.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytloves

Another one that is happy with TOTW!

I was wary of Diamond Products but found that the TOTW was in a different plant all together and never had a recall. Also they did not have the gluten as an ingredient that was part of the recall.

Thanks! I definitely like that it's 5 lbs more for about $20 less and still has the high protein and good fats that he's doing really well on right now.

I feed TOTW, but I had to stick with Pacific Stream. He gets runny on the other, richer varieties. I was hoping to vary it up. A few TOTW fans change the type of bag every time they get a new one and the pups do great. I wish I could do that, but nonetheless, Chance gobbles WHATEVER I put in front of him :rolleyes: !

What I wanted to add was that if you're looking to same some major $$$, I'd listen to Jilly'sFullHouse: Check out Costco's food. I wish Chance did well on it b/c you're looking at getting around a 40lb bag for UNDER $30!!! :yikes It's rated over 100 on the 'food list' too.. So if you have one near by, I'd try it out. PLUS, if your pups don't do well on it, you can return it! :headbang

Good luck! I spent over a year finding the 'right' food for Chance.

What negative info have you heard about TOTW?

Bernie eats TOTW Sierra Mountain. His coat feels like cashmere, and he poops once in the morning and once at night. He has nice, firm poops.

The Sierra Mountain is all lamb protein because various chicken foods and treats seem to give him runny poops. I just bought a new bag of it last week. I paid $40 for, I believe, 30 lbs. It may have been a 35 lb. bag.

:colgate

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest RedTigerJazz

If you have a Tractor Supply Company near you try their own brand, 4 Health. My guys are all doing very well on it. I can't remember the protein content off the top of my head, though.

Many here disagree, but no pet needs that much protein, nor does protein level have anything to do with poop output. That's probably the grain free effect. The extra protein won't hurt him, but he likely would do just fine on anything in the 20% range.

I agree--why the high protein? Our couch potatoes don't require a high protein food to sleep on the couch most of the day--it's very taxing on the kidneys. I do understand the need for a grain free food (I have an allergy hound) but, I really don't think you need to feed that high a protein. JMHO

I second RedTigerJazz. Our pack's doing really well on the 4Health Large Breed from Tractor Supply. 40# for about $30.

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.