Back From Boarding - Swollen Eye

Guest mdc

Hi,

We just got our 8 year old girl (Mickie) back from the vet where she was boarded (regrettably) and came home today with a watery discharge and a swollen eye. The discharge seems to have stopped but the swelling seems to have gotten worse and the inside corner of her eye looks bloodshot. It is not swollen to the point of closing, it's just very puffy on the underside of the eye. We called the vet, and shocker of shockers, their response was 'well, we didn't notice anything when you picked her up', as if I'm making this up and calling because it's fun for me. God I hate this vet but that's beside the point. They're really our only option being as remote as we are. So I turn to you, faithful and knowledgeable greyhound aficionados. I trust your input a great deal more than I do theirs. Any help or advice would be massively appreciated.

Vet's response when I asked if they'd at least tell me if it's anything to worry about was 'unless some trauma to the eye was experienced, it's not an emergency'. They must think I'm an idiot. Or they're idiots. One or the other. Anyhow, they said they couldn't (which to me means 'wouldn't') help me today. They set up an appointment for 10:30 tomorrow.

A million thanks.

-M

Wow. Sounds like a bit of an infection which can likely be cleared up with antibiotics. Your pup will probably be fine soon, but what irks me most is the response should have been "Oh, we didn't notice anything but if you are seeing discharge and a bit of swelling, bring her back in so we can check it out" (but not make you wait).

And if it is an eye infection, depending on how long she was there (anything more than 2 days), the treatment should be free.

Good luck.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

:kiss2 for Mickie,, i hope it isn't anything serious!

it looks swollen, but i'm not sure what to do for her. maybe a saline wash? and time ~

good luck

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

It may be a corneal abrasion. That's what Valentino's eye looked like when he had one. The vet should put some blue dye in the eye and check it with a light, if it is, it's drops administered twice a day into the eye until it heals. BTW we have no idea how Valentino got it.

My second guess would be an infection.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'd get her in somewhere today. Hope it's nothing serious.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It may be a corneal abrasion. That's what Valentino's eye looked like when he had one. The vet should put some blue dye in the eye and check it with a light, if it is, it's drops administered twice a day into the eye until it heals. BTW we have no idea how Valentino got it.

My second guess would be an infection.

Forgot about that! I've seen that done on TV on Animal Cops. Yes, the vet should definitely check that!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I agree your vets office doesn't sound to patient friendly. At the same time though, if you didn't notice the eye problem when you picked her up it is understandable that they didn't either.

If it was me I would march right back to the vets today whether I had an appt or not and demand that she be seen.

Well, several hours have passed and there has been no additional discharge. The swelling hasn't gotten any worse (it may have gone down ever so slightly). She seems no worse for wear. The swelling is soft and she didn't seem terribly bothered when we touched it. Her mood is fine (as fine as it could be after two days in boarding, I guess).

When we finally talked to the actual vet (rather than a reception or assistant) he seemed a little more willing to talk to us. Because we are some distance from our vet and Mickie is paralyzingly neurotic (likely abused at the track is our guess), we didn't want to rush her back there and cause additional trauma to her if it wasn't absolutely critical. A few high res images were sent to the vet who responded quickly saying his initial impression is that it's a bruise. Maybe, but the bloodshot eye has me concerned. If it's no better in the morning then off to the vet we go.

Thanks for all of your feedback. You all have created a wonderful and helpful community here. This is our first stop when we need grey help.

well if it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and she is not distressed about it then I think you're OK to wait until tomorrow. If the issue was not noticeable when she left the vets then perhaps it is caused by something that happened on the way home. Perhaps she bumped her head or got something in her eye during the drive.

One thing I feel compelled to comment on is this

Mickie is paralyzingly neurotic (likely abused at the track is our guess

There are many folks on GT that have shy/spooky dogs. I wouldn't automatically assume it was caused by abuse at the tracks unless I had some evidence to back it up. I came into the world of retired racers knowing nothing about the industry and was ripe to believe all the propaganda about abuse, but I still had to see it to believe it. I have visited a few tracks and puppy farms (albeit just a few) and my experience is that the dogs are healthy, happy and reasonably well cared for. While it's true they are not being treated as pets, the places I visited and the ppl I met there would not tolerate any abuse of the dogs in their care. It just wouldn't make sense for them to abuse the very animal that they need to go out and make the money.

well if it doesn't seem to be getting any worse and she is not distressed about it then I think you're OK to wait until tomorrow. If the issue was not noticeable when she left the vets then perhaps it is caused by something that happened on the way home. Perhaps she bumped her head or got something in her eye during the drive.

There are many folks on GT that have shy/spooky dogs. I wouldn't automatically assume it was caused by abuse at the tracks unless I had some evidence to back it up. I came into the world of retired racers knowing nothing about the industry and was ripe to believe all the propaganda about abuse, but I still had to see it to believe it. I have visited a few tracks and puppy farms (albeit just a few) and my experience is that the dogs are healthy, happy and reasonably well cared for. While it's true they are not being treated as pets, the places I visited and the ppl I met there would not tolerate any abuse of the dogs in their care. It just wouldn't make sense for them to abuse the very animal that they need to go out and make the money.

Phew. You said it before I could.

Thanks Sheila.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Phew. You said it before I could.

Thanks Sheila.

Yup - you both got it before I could. But I wanted to add that I concur with Sheila's statements! I also want to add that spooky dogs are often just spooky. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I believe someone suggested once that the dog Tumble Bug, an known spook, in the pedigree can contribute. But IMO, he's so far back now, that it's unlikely his genes will contribute much anymore.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.