Our Dog Is A Cat

Guest cwholsin

I think a good way to describe why it can take a long time for the dog to show it's personality is this:

Imagine if you got kidnapped by dark-clothed, masked men in the middle of the night. They tossed you into the back of a truck and took you for a ride. A long ride. You had no idea who they were or where they were taking you. You probably can't sleep for the truck jostling around. After a couple days in the dark truck, they open the doors and let you out. Other strangers come and lead you into a strange house. They don't speak or understand your language. There are things in the house you don't recognize or understand the use of. The people show you the acceptable place to relieve yourself but otherwise leave you alone to figure things out on your own. They also talk at you a lot, in the language you don't understand. How long do you think it would take for you to learn to trust and have affection for these strangers?

The statuing in the house sounds familiar, too. Both my dogs have done that when they were new. I think it's because they wanted to be told what to do. Remember that racers live a very regimented life in the racing kennels. Like a military school, they are told when to sleep, when to eat, when to go potty, when to race. But the life of a house pet is really pretty unstructured. Pets have lots of free time and can make their own choices about where to sleep and what to do to entertain themselves. It can take a while for someone raised in a regimented lifestyle to learn to feel comfortable with casual freedom.

One good way to deal with that as a doggie owner, is when your new dog seems a bit lost, to give him something to do. Lead him to his bed or couch and make him lay down. If he's trained, make him do a couple tricks for treats. Not because you want him to especially, but just to make him feel more comfortable by being told what he's supposed to do at that moment. Over time, he'll relax and be more comfortable with the lack of constant direction.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cwholsin

I think a good way to describe why it can take a long time for the dog to show it's personality is this:

Imagine if you got kidnapped by dark-clothed, masked men in the middle of the night. They tossed you into the back of a truck and took you for a ride. A long ride. You had no idea who they were or where they were taking you. You probably can't sleep for the truck jostling around. After a couple days in the dark truck, they open the doors and let you out. Other strangers come and lead you into a strange house. They don't speak or understand your language. There are things in the house you don't recognize or understand the use of. The people show you the acceptable place to relieve yourself but otherwise leave you alone to figure things out on your own. They also talk at you a lot, in the language you don't understand. How long do you think it would take for you to learn to trust and have affection for these strangers?

The statuing in the house sounds familiar, too. Both my dogs have done that when they were new. I think it's because they wanted to be told what to do. Remember that racers live a very regimented life in the racing kennels. Like a military school, they are told when to sleep, when to eat, when to go potty, when to race. But the life of a house pet is really pretty unstructured. Pets have lots of free time and can make their own choices about where to sleep and what to do to entertain themselves. It can take a while for someone raised in a regimented lifestyle to learn to feel comfortable with casual freedom.

One good way to deal with that as a doggie owner, is when your new dog seems a bit lost, to give him something to do. Lead him to his bed or couch and make him lay down. If he's trained, make him do a couple tricks for treats. Not because you want him to especially, but just to make him feel more comfortable by being told what he's supposed to do at that moment. Over time, he'll relax and be more comfortable with the lack of constant direction.

That makes a lot of sense. I've noticed that Hermes doesn't interact with the environment very much, and that could be why. The training works really well to get him to relax a bit since he really likes doing his tricks and he will come over when called and settle down from there.

This is something that RobinM often posts. It's well worth reading :)

Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen.

ETA- by K.L. Gilley

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

She prefers men to women.

So did Cody! ALWAYS!! She'd go wiggling up to ANY man, giving them the greyhound smile! (I was very jealous for awhile, then just decided she was a man-slut!! :lol

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I dunno, Hermes sounds like a real sweetheart to me. I'm actually jealous. :)

Wanna trade? You can have the 3 year old girl who seeks out rolls of paper towels to destroy like a missile, who finds only the most expensive shoes in the house to use as toys and who happily runs up to the couch after dinner to burp in my face. I'll take the mellow boy who minds his own business. Sound good? :lol

Guest kiana325

Definitely going to make a lure toy for Hermes, day 2 and he's still bouncing after our homemade one! It's awesome to have something that gets his attention and encourages him to play

Glad to hear he likes it!!

• 2 months later...
Guest vezzerina

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread. I have had Lyca for a year and a half and I was surprised to see that she is not a cuddler. She loves affection but on her terms only. I sit next to her bed for her "spa time" (massage and brushing), which she loves. When I stop she will often pat my leg with her front paws to ask for more. So she loves affection, but will NEVER climb onto the bed or couch with us. She has been changing lately though. She loves her stuffies and plays "music" with the squeakers when we come home (in celebration).

I often wonder if she would behave differently if we didn't have our 3 cats (who she tolerates and is even curious about). One day I will get a second dog, grey or otherwise.

I have learned to accept my sweet Lyca's demure and princess-like personality. Not just accept- I adore it! She is the perfect dog. Like you said- we never have to worry about her. She is OVERLY obedient!

Anyway, thanks again. I will be trying the lure toy today and perhaps keeping little treats near the couch to reward her for coming to visit me.

I have learned to accept my sweet Lyca's demure and princess-like personality. Not just accept- I adore it! She is the perfect dog. Like you said- we never have to worry about her. She is OVERLY obedient!

You have described my own first Grey quite well. Like you I learned to accept it & then so. She's wonderful. Couldn't ask for better. Sometimes we don't get what we wished for but do get exactly what we need!

Guest katethegreyt

Oh man, I just got my first greyhound, and I find them to be such a treat, though super different. I really needed/wanted a dog that could be pretty independent for the most part and that also didn't need loads of exercise. I live in a loft, work full time, and also have a horse. I have enough time for an easy dog but nowhere near the time for a dog that needs a job. It might help to think about all the dogs out there who are clearly unhappy and in need of a job - think of all the terriers and working dogs out there that get stuck in a home with no outlet for their need to work. Think of the border collie moving from home to home because he doesn't get the right owner who understands his brain needs a LOT of stimulation, so he keeps destroying the houses. Think of the terrier that lives in a crate 15 hours a day because his owner didn't realize he'd need 4 hours of exercise a day...

Then think about your dog who just seems a teensy bit aloof and reserved for now, haha. He's probably WAY happier than most of the dogs out there = )

No, but really, my lady is just like the one someone else described - maaaybe 5 minutes of excitement, then sleepy time, haha. My girl did live in a home for a year before I got her though, so she was pretty acclimated. But still, she is fairly aloof as a rule. I think another dog would be good for her, and we're planning to get one as soon as we have a bit more space. I also know we've only had her for 2 months, and she's continued to change. She retired probably 1.5 years ago, and she definitely is affectionate. I can usually get her to come when called, and she'll come get a pat, then go lay down on her bed. Squeaky toys almost always get a response, but again, it's about 3 minutes and she's beat. She often does the stand and stare, and people are always certain she doesn't want her to pet them because she just stares them down. They don't notice she's leaning on the leash to get closer and chattering her teeth and slightly wagging the end of her tail. Plus, her ears are almost always back unless a squeaky toy enters the equation.

Also, just wanted to add that we are doing an obedience class: it MAY not be quite the panacea you're hoping for, haha. I'm having fun with it, but you must go in with the right attitude. You may be lucky, but you may also have a girl like mine that thinks those labs and goldens are SO gauche for allowing their owners to put them in a sit, down, stay 20 times in a row. Mine will do the task a few times, and then you must do something new or give her a break or she zones out completely. So just be prepared that the full hour classes are likely not going to be the place your dog shines at first = ) My fiance was a bit frustrated with that realization, though the trainer is fine with us being the lame-os chilling at the other end of the room while the rest of the class obediently repeats sit and stay for the whole hour, haha. We are REALLY good at heeling, and at the "stand, stay" = ) No way will my girl sit her naked butt on that cold floor while we're working on "heel" "halt" "sit" "stay."

Anyway, as everyone else has said, it sounds like you have a perfect greyhound, haha. From what I've read on here, it's likely his personality will continue to change. And hey, you can always get another dog so your new boy has a buddy and you have a slightly better snuggle pup, haha. Since greyhounds tend to be so easy, it's way simpler to get another one as long as you can afford the extra food and vet bills = )

Edited by katethegreyt

In dealing with greyhounds versus other dogs, I wonder if part of the reserved behavior/lack of behavior offering is simply because they have both been bred and raised to *not* offer behaviors. There is a limited number of behaviors that this dog has been bred for, and in a farm/track environment they may never be rewarded for the kinds of behaviors that your average house puppy/dog is automatically rewarded for because these greys are living in a business environment. There's tasks to complete for the people that handle them daily, and while there are probably times where a trainer or someone could work with a dog to reward other offered behaviors, how often does it actually happen?

Go into a play bow? Good dog and it's playtime! Bring me a stuffed toy? Good dog and it's playtime! Look at me and sit? What a great dog, here's a treat and we'll train you to sit from now on! Do something cute at any time I'm in the room? Good dog, here's a treat!

Elephants in the circus are initially trained that they cannot break their chains when they are young enough that they cannot break away - and when they are fully strong enough to be able to break their leg chains, there are months and years of training that says it isn't possible so don't even try. Is this potentially something that could go on here? Months or years of not being rewarded for behaviors means they suffer extinction. I would think that if offered behaviors of all types go without being rewarded for long enough, no more offering of any behavior happens.

to the OP and others with reserved dogs: Maybe you could encourage offered behaviors by always (for a while) carrying some of the absolute best treats in the universe (to your dog) and whenever the dog does offer you any positive behavior you treat. Want your dog to come for pets? Have treats on you and reward it first for even *looking* at you, then later for walking even close to you (without any prompting, just on their own!).

It works for other commands, and is a very very slow but only positive method of training. Maybe this would help?

Edited by Fruitycake

Actually as far as my own girl is concerned I think it a combo of things including some of what Fruitycake is discussing. She comes from a breed used for behaviors that require independent action. She is of a more timid nature & clearly did not get the type of socialization needed to develop self confidence. Without that confidence she is not seem comfortable pushing herself on folks to request affection. She is very much a back of the pack kind of dog in that way. As time has gone by and we have worked together she has become more confident & as such more inclined to come up to me offering affection or asking for what she wants, like "Breakfast please!" :) Add in that Greyhounds are sprinters, not distance/endurance runners. Those high powered sprints use up a lot of energy which takes time to restore. Biologically they are not lazy but instead energy conserving.

That's my guess & I'm sticking with it. :P

to the OP and others with reserved dogs: Maybe you could encourage offered behaviors by always (for a while) carrying some of the absolute best treats in the universe (to your dog) and whenever the dog does offer you any positive behavior you treat. Want your dog to come for pets? Have treats on you and reward it first for even *looking* at you, then later for walking even close to you (without any prompting, just on their own!).

It works for other commands, and is a very very slow but only positive method of training. Maybe this would help?

A dog trainer with Aussie's & Silken Windhounds suggested something similar to me several years ago as a way to help my girl's confidence in relation to dealing with humans. Guess what. It worked! Plus last year I taught her to 'Nuzzle' me as an alert at particular times of day or when she heard a particular alarm. That nuzzling behavior is natural to her but only displayed when she is very very excited about my presence, such as when I came home from a work day. Next thing I knew the girl was also acting all super affectionate. Oh, how sweet. She's finally coming up & asking for affection. My reaction was, "Hi, sweetie! What's up, babydoll?" Her response was [nuzzle, nuzzle, nuzzle] look toward the kitchen. I took notice that this was most likely to happen at meal times almost like, "Hey food lady. Now that I know how to get your attention I'd like to let you know it is dinner time. Hop to woman!" :rolleyes:

Edited by kudzu

Guest vezzerina

Also, just wanted to add that we are doing an obedience class: it MAY not be quite the panacea you're hoping for, haha. I'm having fun with it, but you must go in with the right attitude. You may be lucky, but you may also have a girl like mine that thinks those labs and goldens are SO gauche for allowing their owners to put them in a sit, down, stay 20 times in a row. Mine will do the task a few times, and then you must do something new or give her a break or she zones out completely. So just be prepared that the full hour classes are likely not going to be the place your dog shines at first = ) My fiance was a bit frustrated with that realization, though the trainer is fine with us being the lame-os chilling at the other end of the room while the rest of the class obediently repeats sit and stay for the whole hour, haha. We are REALLY good at heeling, and at the "stand, stay" = ) No way will my girl sit her naked butt on that cold floor while we're working on "heel" "halt" "sit" "stay."

Oh we did that, too! Lyca did learn to sit and lie down (sphynx), which is useful. We left the class when they wanted to teach her to walk on the leash, which she does better very well! To get her to sit on the cold floor I did carry her bed in with us (we got teased- but it worked!).

And I have an update! After a year and a half, Lyca is behaving more and more like a dog! She now comes into my office and lies on the floor (rug) when I am at my computer. At first I thought she was scared (fireworks? noise?) or needed to go outside for a bathroom break, but then I realized: she is a normal dog who just wants to hang out! It was a big breakthrough!

Guest iLoveLucie

I remember so clearly the first week we had Lucie we met another greyhound in our neighborhood while out for a walk. Her "dad" told me that a year from she'll be a totally different dog. I kind of didn't believe him...

We've had her almost a year - and I have to admit, our neighbor was totally right. She still isn't a lab who will know you over and lick your face, but she is closer to that than a year ago. She has started giving people one lick hello on their hands when they reach out to meet her. Occasionally she walk up to me and lay her head in my lap for no reason. She'll play "pounce" with my husband and chase him around. After we go for a walk she will run up and lean into me and look up at me until I pet her. I suspect she'll continue to change the longer we have her...

So as everyone else has said it might take time and some effort, but greyhounds will come around, in their own way.

Guest 2dogs4cats

While the Greyhound temprament is mostly pretty lazy and laid back, I have always seen them as "blank sheets of paper" when you first get them. They go from a disciplined, regimented life to "do whatever you want", so they are unsure of what they are supposed to do. They are amongst strangers with nothing to do. If you are unfamiliar with the breed, it's a different experience. It's sort of teaching a dog how to "misbehave" rather than how to be disciplined. Just keep reinforcing the behaviors that you like and it will come in time, but it does take time. You will get plenty of support and info here. Once they bond with you though, he will be the best dog you ever had. Well, ok I guess that's just my opinion. :colgate