E-Z Had His Ultrasound Today

EZ, our 10 year old boy, had an ultrasound last year resulting from a heart murmer heard during a regular physical. Last year it was diagnosed as "mild" and no treatment was required. I have thought lately I heard a little coughing and he has lost a pound and one-half. Also, the vet thinks it sounded louder on cursory listen. So we did another one this year. It has progressed from mild to "mild-to-moderate" with continued thickening of Mitral valve (though I don't know how much thicker). They are prescribing 15 mg of benazepril. He has a slightly elevated count on one of his kidney numbers. They said the medication could actually help that, but may lead to other aspects of kidney problems so they will recheck him in 7-10 days to determine if there is any negative kidney reaction.

Just curious if anyone has had a dog on benazepril and if their are any adverse reactions (in addition to the kidney reaction) that I should watch for?

Thanks!!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

No help, but I'm glad EZ wasn't *much* worse. Hope the new rx helps him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hi, our Jamey has been on benazapril (=Lotensin) since Sept '09. He has osteo and had his right front leg amputated in June'09. He got some kidney damage and resulting high blood pressure from the chemo they said.

Anyway, he has done well on it. He is on 15 mg twice per day. We do not notice any side effects.

Oh, and we were initially given the veterinary beefy flavored one at a huge cost (this stuff is not cheap here in Canada anyways)...he now gets the human kind in some canned food and does not notice!

PM me if you have specific questions if you want.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Thanks....we did end up at Walmart and they gave us 90 pills for $10.00. Not bad at all. The pills are only 5 mg, so he needs 3 per day.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

You have to be kidding, want to send me some? I pay around $65 for 30 pills of the lotensin (people form of benazepril I believe). I was seriously paying $260 Canadian (maybe $250 US) for 60 pills of the vet type beef flavor! Seriously!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

You have to be kidding, want to send me some? I pay around $65 for 30 pills of the lotensin (people form of benazepril I believe). I was seriously paying $260 Canadian (maybe $250 US) for 60 pills of the vet type beef flavor! Seriously!

I am not a big Walmart fan as I like smaller Mom and Pop stores, but it's hard not to go there with prices like that!!!

Thanks everyone!!!