Pineapple And Poo.

Guest StarsMama

Guest StarsMama

I wasn't sure to put this in Food/Dietary or in the Behavior forum. Holly, our 6 month old Springer is eating poo. I'm pretty sure she's eating Star's, so I'd like to throw some pineapple in with Star's kibble. I really would like to try pineapple before trying the Deter or some other tab. For those of you that have tried this, I have some questions. Did your Grey experience any GI issues with the pineapple. Should I be concerned of the sugars in the pineapple and Star's teeth. And how much did you use, and for how long, did it work. I know it's recommended that you maintain with a dose of deter when you use that, do you do the same with pineapple. Or should I just get rid of the Springer? :colgate I am sooo kidding about that. Who couldn't love that face?

Thank you.

Hope

IMG_0983.jpg

Guest BlueCrab

No advice here, just the observation that poo-eating must be a Springer thing! :lol We had a Springer mix who was a champ-een poo eater. Not his most endearing trait. Never heard of the pineapple thing. I'll be watching this post closely to see what others have to say about it. Good luck!

I, also, have never heard of the pineapple thing. And our lab/pointer/springer cross ALSO was a poo eater! Nasty. But only for the first year that I had him. I adopted him as a lost and starved senior (10 years old) from the local shelter. I'm guessing he was eating the poo either because he'd been starved or because he was missing something in his diet. If you just adopted the Springer, perhaps he just needs time to adjust to his diet? I also NEVER let my dogs out alone, so I'm pretty quick at the whole poo thing. Good luck! -- eating poo is disgusting and so much worse than eating their own puke.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Pineapple juice works here when Gracie gets her periodic urge to recycle her poop. I just use the juice instead of water mixed in to her kibble.

Our new iggy totally grossed us out by eating his poop as it was coming out. Very flexible, that one! Since I've been adding pineapple juice to his kibble he has not done that nearly as often.

Doesn't affect their innards. Does something to change to taste/acidity on the way out.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest KennelMom

There's only two "sure fired" ways to stop poop eating: make sure it's never in the yard or make sure the dog who eats poop doesn't have access to it whether it's because you stool guard them or monitor turnouts. I would not recommend leaving a dog unattended with a stool guard on, so since you have a dog door this presents a problem.

A third might be a raw diet. I don't recall ever seeing one of our dogs eat poop from a raw fed dog. Most commercial kibbles are fairly indigestible so it pretty much goes in one end and out the other fairly unchanged, so the poop still smells like food (to the dog). The more digestible the food, the less desirable the output because there's just not much left in there to tempt other dogs.

The common additive most "stop poop eating" supplements/additives have is the enzyme papain (pineapple juice, pinepple, papapya, Adolphs's meat tenderizer)...in theory, it can help make food more digestible which would mean the output would be less appealing. Results definitely vary, but it's an inexpensive thing to try. The other one I've heard is green beans, though I can't think of why that would work. Maybe the extra fiber would slow down digestion, giving their body more time to absorb nutrients.

I think you have to just play around with the amounts. As for the sugar...hopefully you don't have to give enough that it would make a difference one way or the other.

Guest lynne893

we're going through the same issues with our Greta right now. she seems to prefer Swiftie's poop. we began putting canned pineapple in their food, but Greta puked it up. maybe we should just put it in Swiftie's food since Greta is eating Swiftie's poo, not her own.

Thank you for the tip on the pineapple. Kyle started eating my foster's poop. I thought it was because she was on a different food. But it continued after I switched her to the same food everyone else was eating. I tried the stool guard, but he would just smoosh it through the little holes in the guard. I ended up using duct tape and running after the foster to clean up right away. She thought I was crazy :rolleyes:

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG