Nutmeg?

mrsmcd7

Guest cyndiandsaoirse

Here's what I found with a quick check:

Foods NOT to feed your dog

UPDATE: Certain types of raw fish have been found to be extremely unsafe for dogs. They contain a microorganism that affects and kills dogs, but not humans or other animals. Salmon in particular is a danger but other types of fish carry the bacteria as well. DO NOT feed your dog raw fish!

While dogs can eat some of the same foods that we do, there are many they should not eat. Some common foods you may have around your house could kill your dog in the right amount.

Some foods dogs should not eat:

If your dog has ingested any of these foods, get veterinary help immediately.

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog.

Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.

Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker’s chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.

Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.

Bones: Bones can splinter and damage a dog’s internal organs.

Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants are the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.

Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart

Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death

Apples, Cherries, Peaches and similar fruit: The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them.

Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible.

Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.

I would leave it out!

Foods NOT to feed your dog

Some common foods you may have around your house could kill your dog in the right amount.

Some foods dogs should not eat:

If your dog has ingested any of these foods, get veterinary help immediately.

Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog.

Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.

Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Baker's chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.

Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis.

Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis.

Bones: Bones can splinter and damage a dog's internal organs.

Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants are the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe.

Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart

Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death

Apples, Cherries, Peaches and similar fruit: The seeds of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them.

Raw eggs: Raw eggs can cause salmonella poisoning in dogs. Dogs have a shorter digestive tract than humans and are not as likely to suffer from food poisoning, but it is still possible.

Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.

I would leave it out!

Shouldn't that say "in the wrong amount" & then tell us what the wrong amount is? lol.gif

My dogs have eaten animal fat, bones, avocados, apples & raw eggs. Often on the same day, even in the same meal. I don't think a little nutmeg will cause tremors seizures & death. But YMMV.

(I'd love to see the recipe. colgate.gif)

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Shouldn't that say "in the wrong amount" & then tell us what the wrong amount is? lol.gif

That's what I was going to say! :lol

Actually, nutmeg is toxic to people too, if you want to try eating a whole one. This is from here -

"Nutmeg contains a substance called myristicin, a narcotic with very unpleasant toxic side effects if taken in large quantities. Ingestion of small amounts of nutmeg is harmless to the body, however the consumption of 1 to 3 whole nutmegs (in excess of 1 teaspoon ground) can cause wild hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, and/or circulatory collapse within 1 to 6 hours after ingestion. Very large doses can be fatal."

So, the answer is the same as with many, many things. The correct amount is absolutely fine - in this case, a tiny fraction of one nutmeg. I don't know anyone who would put more than about 1/4 teaspoon of grated nutmeg in something. How much does the recipe call for?

And personally, I feel just the same about apple pips. Many, many people have eaten - even chewed - apple cores, but how many cases of poisoning do you hear about?

To prove how alarmist some sites can be, here's a snippet which might amuse you -

"Liver - Foods Toxic to Dogs

Believe it or not, even though dogs love liver, you'll need to limit the amount that you allow your dog to have. In small amounts, liver is a healthy treat for your dog. But make sure that you are not feeding him liver treats exclusively as liver is one of those foods poisonous to dogs in larger amounts.

Here's the reason--too much liver can cause vitamin A toxicity, which affects your pet’s muscles and bones.

Source"

And very true it is, too. Everyone knows not to eat polar bear liver, don't they? And it's because of the high concentration of Vit. A, due to the vast quantity of oily fish they eat. But who is their right mind would put liver on a 'do not feed this to your pet dog, ever, under any circumstances' list?

SO many things can be toxic in large quantities. It's even possible to kill yourself by drinking too much water. The key is in the question 'how much is too much?'

All that said, I have no idea what the toxic dose for nutmeg is, when it comes to dogs. Personally, I don't worry about feeding leftover meat dishes containing nutmeg to my dogs and have never had a problem. :dunno

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Looks yummy. chow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Giselle

Ingestion of small amounts of nutmeg is harmless to the body, however the consumption of 1 to 3 whole nutmegs (in excess of 1 teaspoon ground) can cause wild hallucinations, nausea, vomiting, and/or circulatory collapse within 1 to 6 hours after ingestion. Very large doses can be fatal."

;) Yep. Learned this one in college.

It is such a small amount in your recipes that I also doubt any damage can come from it. Better safe than sorry: don't give any at all. But if your happy, healthy, young dog ingests a cake slice into which you added 1/2 tsp of nutmeg - I wouldn't sweat it.

ETA: I just looked at the recipe. Sometimes, people copy and paste human recipes, post them on the Internet, and classify them as "Dog-friendly recipes". Use your logic and caution and realize that some of those ingredients are absolutely superfluous to dogs. Example: I saw a cake recipe "for dogs" that included about a cup of raisins. Hmm.. not very dog friendly after all!

Edited by Giselle

Guest TeddysMom

Can greyhounds have nutmeg? I read or heard somewhere dogs shouldn't have nutmeg, but I found a recipe online for pumpking dog treats that include it. I LOVE nutmeg, and he may too, but I didn't want to feed it if he can't have it. THanks!

I would just substitute cinnimon or ginger, both are safe for dogs.

• 11 months later...