Not A Grey But...

Guest Lgyure85

Guest Lgyure85

Initially I posted in "Scariest thing that has ever happened" but I figured starting my own thread would be more appropriate. So here's what happened.

Thursday at about 3 am Eli and I woke up to Bruce puking in our bed. When I got up and went into the living room, I discovered he had gotten into my purse and chewed up three bottles of pills. We immediately took him to the E-vet where they started IV fluids, and gave him some charcoal, until our regular vet opened at 7:30. He spent all of Thursday and almost all of Friday at our vet, when, although his liver and kidney values were elevated, our vet said he could spend the night at home, as long as he came back for more fluids the following day. The following day (Saturday) I took him with me to work (since I work at PetSmart and Banfield is there) to get his fluids, and more blood testing. All seemed like it was going well, until they got the blood results- WAY higher than the previous day. We took him home to do the IV at home by ourselves (since it would be about 800$ to take him to the E-vet for fluids from Saturday night to Monday morning, since the CareCard is maxed and I don't get the money I'm borrowing from my mom until Monday. I hate to let money decide his medical treatment, but we simply can't afford it- especially with the 600$ up-front fee just to leave him there over--night). IV fluids went fine last night (Saturday) but the vein blew this morning, so we had to take the IV catheter out and do Sub-cutaneous fluids as much as we can. He gets more blood tests done tomorrow (Monday morning). We are hoping that the high values were either the peak of the values, and they will go down, or that the difference in the two machines made a huge difference, and everything will look better on the original vet's machine.

The good news, is that his appetite is fine, he is no longer puking, is peeing a TON, and he is acting fine (though a bit tired, likely from all the time at the vet).

I don't really know why I'm posting all of this except that I could use some positive stories. FYI- He ate Ibuprofen, and Tylenol, and we don't know how much. He is on drugs to lower stomach acidity, to help protect his liver, and to help keep his stomach coated.

That, and I feel absolutely horrible for leaving my purse down with pills in it. I don't know how I could have anticipated him chewing the bottles up, but I feel like I should have.

Thanks for reading.

Oh no! How scary. Sending good thoughts to Boston Bruce for a full recovery.

My s/o's Boston, Captain, went after a bottle of Advil, too. What is it with those little guys and pill bottles? He went to the vet, charcoal, vomiting and years later he's still going strong.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Lgyure85

Oh no! How scary. Sending good thoughts to Boston Bruce for a full recovery.

My s/o's Boston, Captain, went after a bottle of Advil, too. What is it with those little guys and pill bottles? He went to the vet, charcoal, vomiting and years later he's still going strong.

According to one of my good friends, who happens to be a dog behaviorist, pill bottles are toys that rattle and roll to dogs. They look and sound fun, and chew up nicely. Lesson learned on my part, hopefully it won't be too late. He's only 3.

Guest Energy11

My Mom has a "Boston Terriorist" ... :) and they are known to eat thing they aren't supposed to! You have done all you can, by the sound of it.

Tylenol is liver toxic. Ibuprophen can effect the stomach.

It is more of a wait and see situation right now. I am sure your Boston will be ok! Sending love and prayers your way!

My Sugar (greyhound) did the same thing about 2 days before we were leaving Ohio to move to Arizona. She lived through it and has no residual effects from it. She ate approx. 50-75 advil and about 20 tylenol. I gave her H202 to make her puke (peroxide)and she did throw up much of it. She began vomiting blood that night, and the Evet had me put her on prilosec. She was fine and we left for Arizona 2 days later. (we HAD to travel, most of our belongings were already gone!) She remained on the prilosec for about 2 weeks. Her lab values were up for a while, but normal 1 year later.

I don't know why these dogs eat pills. My Lulu ate a bunch of thyroid pills once. But then there are those dogs who will eat poop, so obviously their taste is quite different than humans!

Good luck to Bruce, I hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

I hope Bruce is doing well today! Please keep us updated.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Lgyure85

UPDATE:

Bruce is still going to the vet during the day for fluids. We did them Saturday night and Sunday, and brought him back this morning. 3 out of 4 of his values have either gone down or stayed the same, unfortunately, the one that went up indicates that his liver still has cells dying and being damaged. We added another liver protectant to his meds, so hopefully that will help. The vet has told us it's simply "wait and see" from here on out. He'll continue to get fluids and all of the meds until his last number starts going down.

I'll update when we know more. Hopefully it'll be soon, and all of the damage will be reversible...

Sending healing thoughts for your Bruce. The good thing is that the liver is an organ that regenerates, so it may just be a matter of time before his body clears all the toxins and his liver can complete its healing.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Many thoughts for your Bruce. My bridge kitty, Sebastian, once ate half of the dog's Rimadyl - which is highly toxic to cats. We had him at the e-vet for a three days with 24 hour fluids - and the little guy ended up pulling through....I know you wanted good stories....and ours was one! Again, we will be saying lots of prayers for your boy.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest Lgyure85

UPDATE! Three of Bruce's values are normal and the 3rd is down!!! He's off IV fluids and just needs his blood checked Saturday. If all is well, he will have a clean bill of health! YAY!!! Thanks to everyone SO much for the good thoughts, he isn't completely out of the woods yet, but getting close!

UPDATE! Three of Bruce's values are normal and the 3rd is down!!! He's off IV fluids and just needs his blood checked Saturday. If all is well, he will have a clean bill of health! YAY!!! Thanks to everyone SO much for the good thoughts, he isn't completely out of the woods yet, but getting close!

:thumbs-up