9 Yrs Ago Today, My Heart Broke

MP_the4pack

Brindle left me 9 yrs ago today.

She seemed fine that morning when we got up. I went to bed alone that night.

She went to the vets to get a small black spot on her skin removed because I didn't like the looks of it. The vets called me later that day and said she wasn't waking up. I rushed down to her and her belly was huge. They tapped it and it was blood. So I rushed her to U of Penn where they did emergency surgery at 1 AM. When they opened her up, she was loaded with cancer. Hemangiosarcoma.

It was such a shock, I felt like I got kicked in the gut.

I have had more dreams of her than any of my other Bridge kids.

I don't have many online photos of her, they're mostly negatives and paper.

brindletable2.jpg

-Brindle had the brightest eyes I have ever seen, so expressive

-She would hold conversations with me. She would just have to look at me and I would answer "what?". Her responses would start off almost silent then procede to get louder.

-She was fun to tease, she understood it.

-She would always sleep with me. On cold nights, she would end up cuddling close.

She always waited for an invite onto the bed.

-She was a big moaner/groaner.

-She was always there for me.

-She would come running to me when guests came over to make sure I knew there was someone at the door. She was always so excited to have company.

-She loved to play yoo-hoo with me.(canine version of hide and go seek) Topaz would join her, but Brindle generally won.

-Sometimes while driving (more in the early years) she would stand over my shoulder watching intently where we were going. A classic back seat driver.

-She would always bark excitedly when it was time for a walk or bye bye.

-She often thumped her tail while sleeping. I always enjoyed that knowing she was having a good dream.

-She fell off the bed on Topaz one night, I only hear a soft 'thud'

-She had fantastic gorgeous thick fur, no bald spots.

-She always followed me with her eyes if I needed to walk away from her.

-She loved the outdoors. She would sunbath frequently in nice weather.

-Many times I would wake up in the morning and be facing her. Her head was on the other pillow and she would be facing me.

-In the early days I used to call her Snoozy Suzy because she slept so much. Most of her life I called her Demandodog, because she was very demanding in wanting stuff. Of course I usually caved in and gave her what she asked for.

-She loved the ocean.

- She played tug of war one day with Topaz using the human teddy bear the game resulted in both girls having a piece of the toy and the small foam innards went flying all over like snow.

-She would have spontaneous/unpredictable puppy uppers where she would just get an explosion of energy and act like a puppy.

-At M&Gs when people would ask me if greyhounds bark, I would turn to Brindle and say "did you hear that, you don't bark" at which she would bark. A self taught trick.

She was my lady.

So many great memories to treasure. As I was reading this it brought a tear to my eye - all the little things they bring to our lives :) Hope all your memories bring you some compfort today.

Thank you for sharing her wonderful personality and antics and especially her lovebug nature! Very touching laying on the pillow looking at you at night! And such a smart little girl too- love the barking trick! She may not be here in body right now but her love surely is and she is obviouly still a great blessing-as she always will be.

:f_pink:f_white:f_pink

Time marches on, doesn't it? 2001 was the year my first greyhound, Joe, died, too. And the year I found GT. Can't believe it's been so long. I don't know if you had dogs before Brindle, but Joe was my first dog, too. I never knew that it could hurt so much...or for so long.

Nine years later, and here we are, still missing them, remembering them, loving them... Perhaps that is really the best tribute to their lives after all. I will be missing my dogs for more years than they were even here on the earth.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Time marches on, doesn't it? 2001 was the year my first greyhound, Joe, died, too. And the year I found GT. Can't believe it's been so long. I don't know if you had dogs before Brindle, but Joe was my first dog, too. I never knew that it could hurt so much...or for so long.

Nine years later, and here we are, still missing them, remembering them, loving them... Perhaps that is really the best tribute to their lives after all. I will be missing my dogs for more years than they were even here on the earth.

Brindle was my first greyhound, but her sister Topaz that I adopted a year after I adopted Brindle, died first at age 5. Brindle was 8.