Melatonin Question

Guest mom2hounds

Guest mom2hounds

Our GH Forti, has bald thighs and a bare belly. I saw that some people use melatonin to help grow fur. What dose should I use? How long does it take to start working?

Thanks

Someone posted recently that their holistic Vet said the dosage is about 9 to 10 mg a day.

I give about 10 mg. a day with about 2 months or so to see a difference in their ovetall coat condition. It may take longer for bald spots to fill it.

My dogs get one 5 mg. pill two times a day, a.m. and p.m. Their coats are amazingly soft, full and shiny now.

Sometimes lethargy can be a side effect of melatonin. I saw no issues in any of my dogs. Of course, it's kind of hard to tell the difference between "ZZZZZZ" and "ZZZZZZZZ." :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Most people seem to give 3mg a day. Does it work? I don't know, a lot of people swear by it. FYI -- note that some dogs get lethargic on it. My Summer was one of those so I won't give it to her any more. Instead, I now give her human-grade fish oil, 1 tsp. a day. Her coat is beautiful!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

3 mg a day. If you are going to see changes, you will see them in 6-8 weeks.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest jettcricket

3 mg a day. If you are going to see changes, you will see them in 6-8 weeks.

It does work!! I've had my kids on it a little over 2 months....the hair growth is amazing. I give mine what Robin recommended...3 mgs once a day. I just started backing off a bit.

Guest mom2hounds

Thanks everyone. I'm going to start with 3mg a day and see what happens. I'm not sure how to tell if she is lethargic, she sleeps most of the time already. :sleepy

Diamond gets 2 pills a day (AM & PM) and I think they are 3mg each but I'll have to double check.

His coat is getting fuzzy and he's growing some fur on his a$$ :)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I started Wendy on 5 mg. with dinner nightly almost three months ago. It took two months for the results to be noticeable. Astounding results - fuller,softer, shinier fur with no negative side effects.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Thanks everyone. I'm going to start with 3mg a day and see what happens. I'm not sure how to tell if she is lethargic, she sleeps most of the time already. :sleepy

Yeah, I know, I wondered the same thing. But if she IS one of the affected ones, you WILL be able to tell.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance