Frontline Plus And My Dogs Have Fleas

Guest june

Hi All,

I've had greys for about 7 years now and I've always used Frontline Plus to control fleas. I've never even seen a flea on the dogs until this summer. About 6 weeks ago I found some "sick" fleas on the dogs (easy to catch and kill) and thought perhaps they had picked them up on our walks. Last night both dogs started chewing and scratching. I started looking and found healthy fleas on both dogs. They both were treated with Frontline Plus on the 10th of this month. I have been treating every month (as opposed to previous years when I treated every other month) because my vet told me fleas were really bad this year.

I read on another post about someone using Comfortis and am thinking about giving it a try. My questions are; can I use this now or is it too soon after the Frontline Plus treatment? Is this safe to use monthly with greys? I do know that it needs to be given with food to avoid stomach upset.

If possible, I'd like to do something as quickly as possible. Not only are my greys miserable itching but also I am allergic to flea bits and so they both are banned from my bed until this is resolved; a hardship for all of us!

Thanks,

LOVING GREY MOM,

june

I had the same problem with Frontline Topspot earlier this year. Switched to Advantage and they all went away. My vet suggested rotating flea meds. We generally don't need flea prevention any time except summer in my neck of the woods, so I guess I'll stick with Advantage next spring and switch if necessary.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Had the same problem with Frontline Plus. I switched to K9 Advantix and have had no fleas or ticks. I would try it if I were you. Fleas are miserable once they get in the house!!!

Been using Comfortis here for a long time with no problems. Don't think there'd be any conflict starting it now after using the Frontline. Just ask your vet when you buy it. We haven't used a topical here in years.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest PiagetsMom

I've always been afraid to use the Comfortis because of the stomach issues that some have warned about. We had a flea problem with Mirage about a month ago and he'd recently had his monthly treatment of the Frontline Plus. I've got to order more flea meds, and I'm seriously considering trying the Comfortis.

Guest wmlcml6

I just put Frontline on Grandy last weekend since the jury is out on whether Comfortis is safe for pregnant females. Frontline has proven okay with the mama girls. Zero reduction in her fleas! She doesn't have a lot, so I think it's just what she's picking up in the yard. The other dogs are treated regularly with Comfortis so that helps. I was so disappointed. Now we don't know what to use on her and I don't want fleas to get on the babies when they arrive.

For those of you who have not tried Comfortis yet, try 1/2 a pill. The tablets we use are for 60-120 lb dogs, so for the girls, they aren't much over 60 anyway (unless you are talking about Rosemary, but she'd rather I remain mum on that subject). It lasts 3-4 weeks, just like using a whole tablet does. Less chemicals in your dog, and less money out of your pocket. The only downside to using Comfortis, is it dries out my Rosemary's fur terribly. She usually has a full thick soft coat, but right now she is shedding a lot and it feels coarse instead of soft. But she's happy not to have fleas. :-)

I have always felt safe using Frontline because I never heard of any bad side effects, but it doesn't do any good to use something that isn't working. Giving anything oral makes me want to be careful because the greys can be sensitive to so many things. My vet is really good and tries to keep informed but I have two of only 3 greys locally. I really like the idea of using half a pill and of course saving money.

I do feel better knowing that it is safe to use on my greys. I know my dogs will feel better without the fleas!

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

LOVING GREY MOM,

june

The fleas here laugh at Frontline, so we switched to Advantage (advantix for the ticks version). My hounds don't have any problems with it, but I don't use it all that often, because we haven't had much of a flea problem this year.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)