Does Metacam Cause Upset Stomachs?

Wally was playing really hard outside on Saturday but he appeared fine when he came inside. That afternoon he was pretty much MIA around the house which is unusual for him as he is usually my shadow. When I called him for dinner that evening he couldn't make it down the stairs and just cried at the top of the steps. My DH helped him down but he stood there with his back arched and was panting heavily. When he did move he was walking very short on his right hind leg and sort of swinging it out as he stepped. We got him back upstairs and he settled down on his bed and slept through the night without incident.

On Sunday he still was in pain so we brought him to the E vets, he palpated his leg and Wally showed resistance but never cried out when he tried to move his right hip forward. The vet believes he just pulled/stretched something as he doesn't think the hip is dislocated but we never did x-rays or blood work or anything like that at the time. He was given oral metacam to take for 3 days, and by Sunday afternoon appeared to be doing much better walking and didn't seem to be in pain. This morning he refused breakfast (but it's not uncommon for him to skip a meal) and this afternoon he has thrown up yellow bile twice, one of the times being quite a large amount. He is moving around well though and doesn't show any sign of a limp today, we even had to stop him from running around the house as not to re injure himself.

I'm just concerned now that something else might be going on because I remember when Hobbes was sick with lepto (not that I think Wally has lepto) he also arched his back and walked really short due to kidney pain. Wally is acting normal every other way, but in all the time I've had dogs I've never had one that was sick from metacam. I'm going to be giving him his evening meal soon and he should be getting another dose of metacam with it but I'm afraid it will make him sick if that's whats causing the upset stomach.

So has anyone else had a dog get an upset stomach on metacam?

Sorry about the long post, I think it's better to give to much info rather then not enough.

Edited by greytluck

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

I've also never had a dog get ill on Metacam. Here's the side effect thing from Wikipedia:

Meloxicam use can result in gastrointestinal toxicity and bleeding, tinnitus, blinding headaches, rash, very dark or black stool (sign of intestinal bleeding). It has fewer gastrointestinal side effects than diclofenac,[4] piroxicam,[5] naproxen,[6] and perhaps all other NSAIDs which are not COX-2 selective.[4] Although meloxicam does inhibit thromboxane A, it does not appear to do so at levels that would interfere with platelet function.

As for the bile... I had a dog who had a tender tummy and, if it was empty, she'd throw up the yellow bile. I had to always make sure she ate breakfast and dinner or sure enough, here came the bile. As long as there was no blood in it, we didn't worry about it when it happened. Since Wally didn't eat his breakfast and then threw up the bile in the afternoon... perhaps he's somewhat the same way?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I've also never had a dog get ill on Metacam. Here's the side effect thing from Wikipedia:

Meloxicam use can result in gastrointestinal toxicity and bleeding, tinnitus, blinding headaches, rash, very dark or black stool (sign of intestinal bleeding). It has fewer gastrointestinal side effects than diclofenac,[4] piroxicam,[5] naproxen,[6] and perhaps all other NSAIDs which are not COX-2 selective.[4] Although meloxicam does inhibit thromboxane A, it does not appear to do so at levels that would interfere with platelet function.

As for the bile... I had a dog who had a tender tummy and, if it was empty, she'd throw up the yellow bile. I had to always make sure she ate breakfast and dinner or sure enough, here came the bile. As long as there was no blood in it, we didn't worry about it when it happened. Since Wally didn't eat his breakfast and then threw up the bile in the afternoon... perhaps he's somewhat the same way?

I hope that's all it is but Wally skips meals frequently (mainly because he is finicky with food and not sick) but has never in all the time I've had him thrown up. He ate a large meal yesterday so he shouldn't be to empty yet.

Hobbes-Ricard Hatch09/23/99-12/21/09 Always loved, never forgotten. Wally TNJ Boy Howdy, GLS Genuinerisk Corinna

It can cause tummy upset. If you have some Pepcid, you could give him one (10mg famotidine is the generic).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It wouldn't be at all suprising for Meloxicam to upset his stomach. Any drug in the NSAID class can have that effect. You could try another drug, he might do better, although since he's sensitive any of them are still likely to do the same thing.

Have you tried tramadol?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I used Metacam on my last dog for between 8 and 9 years and sometimes it caused digestive upset but never so far as getting black tarry stools.

However all dogs are different and in some it can be really irritating and you might need to give Antepsin (Sucralfate) or Slippery Elm Bark as a home remedy. In very long term use it can compromise the blood flow to and around the kidneys. Refer back to your vet and stop the drug immediately if your dog vomits blood or has black tarry stools.

My last dog couldn't tolerate Tramadol (which is better for the stomach) as it caused dangerous heart arrythmias (likely because kidney disease stopped it from being cleared rapidly enough.)

Well I just feed him and he ate all his food up like he was starved. I didn't give him the metacam as he isn't acting in pain at all anymore. If he appears in pain again I will give him the metacam then, but if it's causing upset stomach I just feel like it's best not to give him it unless it's truly needed.

You should mention the upset stomach to your vet. NSAIDs can cause more serious problems with the stomach, so she might want him off it altogether.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

It can cause tummy upset. If you have some Pepcid, you could give him one (10mg famotidine is the generic).

Yes this. About 30 minutes before you give the metacam. It should help!!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren