Poodle Back From Flipped Out Mom's Run To Vet

I came in from mowing the yard and Poodle got up and just fell over. I first thought he was having another stroke, but it was one of his front legs giving out. We got the vet to see us ASAP and I am still upset. His left front leg is hyperextended at the wrist (so it looks like his wrist is bending about 2 inches up from where it should be). The vet said he has only seen that in large breed puppies, not old Poodles. I do agree with him that the problem is in the right front. this was not Dr. Keith, but a fill in vet I hadn't seen.

Maybe I didn't notice he was favoring the right and thus hyperextended the left. He has been sort of "drifting" on walks then correcting himself at the edge of the sidewalk and I have been trying to figure out what was up. Now I guess I know something was causing that. but don't know what is up with his right leg. He has 5 days worth of Previcox .

On the bright side his glucose was a very admirable 115 about 6 hours after his shot.

Edited to fix right and left and maybe the picture will help....

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

:(

Hope that will fix him up, Pam.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poody, don't scare your mom like that! And please tell her to post more pictures of you.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest greytloves

I bet you did flip out!

I'm curious, did the hyperextension cause any pain or tenderness? or just fell over and could or would not get back up?

We all hate those emergency trips to the vet! I'm glad that Poodle is back home with you.

No, it does not appear sore at all and even on the ride to the vet he was leaning heavily on that leg sparing the right. It just looks really wierd.

He does not feel good (or maybe the previcox has knocked him out - I've never used it).

It has to have something to do with his drifting to the left on our walks for maybe the last week. I was concerned just from the walks that maybe he had something neurological going on after his one confirmed stroke and a possible second. Evidently there was something going on and he leaned on that left leg too much. Have to think about this and ask Dr. Keith.

I tried to get a good picture of Poodle but can't. This is what his left paw looks like though --

clip_image004.jpg

Edited by Hubcitypam

Not a good picture as I have no one to hold him. It's sort of a deceiving camera angle as he is trimmed the same length all over, But maybe you can see how the left (back in the photo) is sort of wonky? And that is evidently not the problem.

gallery_8149_3164_861.jpg

Edited by Hubcitypam