Putting A Few Pounds On Grey...

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Hi everyone,

I thought I saw a topic somewhere, but I can't find it about what to feed Buddy to put some weight on him. He's my 10 year old guy with the soft tissue sarcoma. He'll only eat so much dog food (Taste of the Wild or Natural Balance LID)

Thanks!

Add a hamburger-sized lump of ground beef (raw or cooked, your choice) and/or an egg to each meal. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I picked up a recipe on this forum for a kibble additive. It will make him like his kibble more (i.e. eat more), plus it's yummy. Summer loves it! Here's the recipe:

Here's a recipe from another member, Becky_R. I have made this recipe for Summer and she gobbles up her kibble now, no problem. I only used half the amount of yogurt by stirring it into the full recipe, THEN divided it up and froze most of it in double servings. BTW, I use Blue Buffalo kibble.

Puppie gruel recipe

Thoroughly mix 1 pound of lean ground beef with 3 cups of water.

Bring to a boil, and add 2/3 cup brown rice.

Turn the heat back down to a simmer and cook 15 minutes.

Add 2/3 cup red lentils and cook another 15 minutes, or until the rice is soft.

Check periodically, and add more water if needed.

Let this mixture cool, then freeze half of it and use it later.

Take the other half and mix with a two pound container of plain, low fat yogurt.

Serve a dollop of this mixture tossed with your dog's kibble.

Becky_R's notes: If you can't find lean ground beef, brown it first and drain off the fat. I was surprised at how little fiber was in brown rice, so that was why I added the lintels. They are high in fiber and protein. Red lentils cook quickly, which is whay I add them toward the end. If you can't find them, use another type of lentil, but add it to the pot earlier when you add the rice. I was tired of adding hamburger and rice, plus yogurt separately to the food bowls, so this is how the gruel recipe was born. Maybe you can suggest a better name for this recipe.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

I've been looking for a way to add some weight/muscle mass to my 13yr grey, Angel. The receipe mentioned above sounds good, except she has GI issues and I'm afraid this might be too much for her system. Angel can only tolerate the "blandest" of diets.

One lower-fat idea to try is a little pasta cooked in something interesting (low sodium stock or soup) and added to the rest of a meal. For dogs who tolerate grain, pasta is usually very easy on the digestive system.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

One lower-fat idea to try is a little pasta cooked in something interesting (low sodium stock or soup) and added to the rest of a meal. For dogs who tolerate grain, pasta is usually very easy on the digestive system.

And you can buy wheat-free pasta, too!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest ChasesMum

And you can buy wheat-free pasta, too!

though rice pasta can be expensive! If you need wheat free noodles ya might as well do rice cooked in chicken stock, unless of course you are looking for a new "look" in the bowls :lol which I know all about!

for adding weight to a cancer patient I would give whatever they can tolerate. In her last weeks, Chase got Liverworst sausage, hotdogs, hamburgers, leftovers, icecream, etc. one of the cancer crew gave strawberry shortcakes every night.

How often do you feed him? Do you think he would eat more small meals of something he really liked? Though our Tess isn't sick, she is so skinny! Nothing wrong medically, so it was frustrating. She wouldn't eat bigger meals, so we started feeding her 3 times a day instead. And she's put some weight on. Maybe more small meals of the "good stuff" would do it.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Houndstown

How often do you feed him? Do you think he would eat more small meals of something he really liked? Though our Tess isn't sick, she is so skinny! Nothing wrong medically, so it was frustrating. She wouldn't eat bigger meals, so we started feeding her 3 times a day instead. And she's put some weight on. Maybe more small meals of the "good stuff" would do it.

I agree. Pre gets full easily. We noticed that he would walk away from his bowl and then Justin would swoop in to finish the rest. Pre was getting skinnier and skinnier, and Justin was getting fatter and fatter. When we reduced the portion size but increased the frequency of the feedings, it seemed to even out.

Also, pumpkin is always a good source for weight gain and this time of year it's really easy to find.