Settling In = Some Bad Behaviors

Guest pichick712

Guest pichick712

I am in my 2nd week with my Greyhound Indy. I have 5 cats and so far he has not given them a 2nd thought even though one of them is still growling and hissing at him. He was never interested. He was also VERY quiet, not a peep out of him, very accepting of people comin into the house, people petting him, etc.

Yesterday he started barking when someone came to the door. I let the person in (Indy had met him before) but he still barked. Today one of the cats came to sit near me and he growled at her. He showing some aggressive tendencies and I want to nip them in the bud. I have a 3 year old granddaughter and I do not want to have to muzzle him everytime she is here. Indy seems to be settling in and showing his true colors which are colors I was not anticipating nor do I find them the sort of qualities I was looking for.

HELP! I don't want to have to take him back.

Guest buttonwillow

i am no expert. i have had josie for just over 2 months. they say when they start to get comfortable with you they test your boundaries, so i'd think of it as a compliment. :colgate just let him know what's not acceptable and he should learn. josie growled at one of my cats once and i put her right off the bed - she never did it again. she also started to be stubborn about going back inside after walks and i have instituted a little routine with treats, which she gets for good behavior and not for behavior i don't want, and she's doing very well with it. have you started any sort of training - "wait", maybe?

Edited by buttonwillow

Guest PhillyPups

I don't feel barking at someone coming to the door is an "aggressive trait" I think it is more a "dog trait". Dogs bark, dogs growl, it is their way of communicating. Indy is a dog. What was he doing and what was the cat doing when he growled? If he wanted to be "aggressive" he is big and fast and could have eaten the cat. Are you allowing the cat to hiss and snarl at him? If so, he may be responding in dog.

Good luck and I would suggest working on training Indy and the cats.

Guest Swifthounds

I don't feel barking at someone coming to the door is an "aggressive trait" I think it is more a "dog trait". Dogs bark, dogs growl, it is their way of communicating. Indy is a dog. What was he doing and what was the cat doing when he growled? If he wanted to be "aggressive" he is big and fast and could have eaten the cat. Are you allowing the cat to hiss and snarl at him? If so, he may be responding in dog.

:nod

The OP's situation is typical with a lot of new greyhound owners. You bring the dog home. He's quiet, reserved, etc. and that somehow = well behaved. Then as time passes and the dog exhibits dog behaviors, dog behaviors = bad dog.

A dog is just a dog. They only know how to live by dog rules in a dog world. If your hound came from a racing background then he has lots of experience with routine and other dogs and little to none with cats, doorbells, visitors, and the variety of people and things he will encounter in the human world of an adoptive home. Everything is new. He can only use what he knows to navigate the world around him. If you don't give him the tools to make the choices you want him to make, you can't expect him to make the choices you would like all the time.

For my hounds, training begins from day one. We start with a routine. A potty routine, a food routine, and bedtime routine. The more predictable those things are, the easier it will be for him to handle the unpredictable things. Start by rewarding the good behaviors. If he's near the car and not growling, reward. Pair it with a key word so he associates the behavior with the food. Two weeks in he should be muzzled at all times except while eating or going outside. He should not have the opportunity to interact with the cat without supervision.

PhillyPups and Swifthounds are right. These aren't necessarily bad or aggressive tendencies at all. What typically happens with a greyhound who is newly adopted is that it gets so overwhelmed with its new world that it withdraws which looks to us like an extremely stoic and quiet dog. Sounds like your guy is starting to get a little less overwhelmed with things as he's there a little longer and is now getting to the point where he's comfortable enough to express his displeasure with certain things (growling at the cat). However, things are still very new to him and things are going to be scary so he may react by barking more than normal, growling, etc. The best thing you can do is to remove all the uncertainty and unknowns for him. The way to do this, as Swifthounds noted, is to get him into a routine. Dogs thrive when they know what to expect and know what is expected of them. Make sure he's on a very consistent schedule, especially early on. Training is a very effective and important tool too. And it's not that hard. It can be as simple as rewarding him when he does what he's supposed to. Most importantly, give it time. Remember, these dogs have come to adulthood in a VERY different world than what they end up in as adoptees. Give him a chance to figure things out.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest pichick712

Thank you all!!!!!!!!

I am very comforted that to hear that this is not necessarily Indy being bad. I know that Indy has never lived in a house surrounded by people, cats, and lots of love so EVERYTHING is new to him.

I want him to alert me when someone comes to the door but I also want him to accept them when I let them in. I don't want him to "protect" once the guest has arrived.

One of my cats has not accepted him as yet and she is the one he ignores. The one he growled at is actually one who has no problem accepting him. I want to make sure the cats are safe as YES, he could eat them in a flash. I am hoping for a peaceful coexistence.

I walk him everyday and he loves that. Our meal time is fairly routine (yes I like to sleep in a little on the weekends). I stand by the food bowl and make him WAIT until I say "ok" then let him eat. I pick up the bowl and put it back several times. He needs to understand I am the pack leader.

I am trying to socialize him as much as possible, take him with me to meet as many people as possible and generally show him that life is good. He's not a puppy experiencing things for the first time. He's a 3 year old who has spent most of his life in a crate which breaks my heart. I want him to be happy and calm and content.

Guest PhillyPups

When I bring in a new hound, especially one from the racing kennel or farm, I give them time to adjust to the home environment first. I find too much information too fast is hard to mentally adjust to. Just like a baby learning to eat solid foods, a little at a time. Each new situation is scarey for him. I feel each new situation should be gradual. This is just my personal experience. When I am unable to be there with I do muzzle for their safety.

Indy has had a lot of changes.

Have you ever seen the sizes of the crates in the racing kennels? They are much larger than most crates in the homes. When I first saw my DonnieDude (a big boy who raced at 80 lbs) he was roached across his crate in the racing kennel. When I think of them being in a crate, I think of a home crate, which are much smaller.

Try introducing new things slowly. Remember, before he came to you he never lived in a home environment, never had cats before, never had people come to his door, and this is the first time in his life he has ever lived without another greyhound. Scarey stuff for him.

None of my 5 have ever spent one night in their life without another greyound, and that includes 12-1/2 year old Gremlin.

Good luck, easy does it.

Guest Swifthounds

I want him to alert me when someone comes to the door but I also want him to accept them when I let them in. I don't want him to "protect" once the guest has arrived.

I taught my crew the "It's OK" command, which means when they start barking or fussing and I say that, I have determined it's nothing to fuss about and they are relieved of duty and can go back to what they were doing. It functions as both an acknowlegemnt of the work they've done (alerting me) and a release to stop the barking. In the beginning I paired it with a hand clap or other interrupting sound to get their attention, gave the command and treated when they stopped barking.

One of my cats has not accepted him as yet and she is the one he ignores. The one he growled at is actually one who has no problem accepting him. I want to make sure the cats are safe as YES, he could eat them in a flash. I am hoping for a peaceful coexistence.

Muzzle, muzzle, muzzle. Especially in the beginning. It isn't always the dog that is aggressive, it's often the cats who instigate. Though cats should be trained, especially if you want them to live with kids, dogs, or other cats - most people find cat raining difficult and abandon it unless the cat is burning down the house (also a parenting style for waay too many people, but I digress). That means in most homes the cat doesn't know the rules for living with a dog and vice versa.

The cat that is accepting him is also probably a bit too comfortable for his taste. after all, he doesn't know what cats are, let alone whether they pose a threat. You reinforce that the cat is a good thing by, treating him everytime the cat is in sight and he's being calm.

I walk him everyday and he loves that. Our meal time is fairly routine (yes I like to sleep in a little on the weekends). I stand by the food bowl and make him WAIT until I say "ok" then let him eat. I pick up the bowl and put it back several times. He needs to understand I am the pack leader.

Walks are good. Not only do they provide exercise for fitness and an outlet for energy, they also provide time for the two of you to bond. If you want to teach him to give up his food (not reinforcement of you as a pack leader, because in a dog or wolf pack, the alpha would not take for from another dog, nor would others), pair it with a command, and immediately offer a tasty reward (something waaay better than his food). Taking food items away is an important skill for a dog living in a human world (and can be life saving), but it isn't a natural skill for a dog, so you want to make it as pleasant as possible.

I am trying to socialize him as much as possible, take him with me to meet as many people as possible and generally show him that life is good. He's not a puppy experiencing things for the first time. He's a 3 year old who has spent most of his life in a crate which breaks my heart. I want him to be happy and calm and content.

I'll second that a racing kennel crate is usually much larger than the crates in homes. On top of that, they get several long periods of turnout each day. Then there's the all out running they get to do, which so many hounds in adoptive homes don't get. There's also the fact that at the kennel they are surrounded by their own kind and have plenty of company. In a home, especially where they're the only greyhound, it can be a truly scary and lonely place, especially in the beginning.

Oh, and he likely wasn't housed in crates in a kennel complex until he was 16 to 18 months old. Until that time he had spent a long while running and playing with his litter mates, and then in smaller groups.

I taught my crew the "It's OK" command, which means when they start barking or fussing and I say that, I have determined it's nothing to fuss about and they are relieved of duty and can go back to what they were doing. It functions as both an acknowlegemnt of the work they've done (alerting me) and a release to stop the barking. In the beginning I paired it with a hand clap or other interrupting sound to get their attention, gave the command and treated when they stopped barking.

Yes, I was going to write this about the door issue. Lots of greys don't bark at the door, but some do. For those who do, it's great to train them that only one or two barks is enough to warn the family that someone is here.

Also for the comment about "protecting" once the guest has arrived. Note that it's a rare greyhound who is protective like that. It's not a greyhound trait. Most likely if he's crowding the door, it's because he just wants to see/smell who is there. Again, you can (and should) teach him door manners. Pick a spot near the door, but not so close that visitors can't step inside easily. Teach him to wait at that spot. A well-mannered dog will wait there and let the visitor come to him, or wait there until you tell him it's okay to approach. It does take training, though. The best way to start that training is to make him wait and be released before every walk - every time he goes out the door. He'll quickly learn not to rush the door. Maybe others here can give you more details about how to train that. I don't think I can explain it well. Start with a few seconds and build to a minute or two before being released to go through the door. You can treat him as a reward, but if you do it before every walk simply being allowed out the door is sometimes a good enough reward.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Welcome to GT! Some great info above and it sounds like you are doing all the right things. It just takes time. Please don't have thoughts of giving in so soon!

We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, all live peacefully and just this morning I commented to DW that the dogs see our cats as part of their pack. Aside from size, I don't think they see the difference. There is respect amongst all of them but if a cat gets too close to a sleeping dog (ie: walking across or close to the dog bed), a dog is not shy to growl. It isn't that it's a 'cat' or that the dog is aggressive or wants a snack, it is simply the dog protecting his bed (the only things they ever 'own' in a racing kennel is in fact their kennel/crate....so some of them are possessive over their 'bed'). The social dynamics are actually quite amazing...our dogs completely understand and respect pack order and know our DD's at 5 and 7 are ahead of them. Our DD's can take/give stuffies from them, things of value, etc. Not a peep from the dogs (though I wouldn't suggest this for every hound at all). The point is.....they take months to settle in - some longer / shorter than others - and they test things along the way, like any new person / pet would do. You still need to teach and train, but Indy will get it, settle in, and follow your lead.

Enjoy him - I am sure he will be a wonderful addition to your home!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest pichick712

I can't thank you all enough for your input and help. It will truly make his (and my) adjustment so much easier. I absolutely adore him. He is a wonderful dog and for years I have wanted to adopt a greyhound. Lord knows they deserve some pampering after their lives at the farms. My son is already asking for a 2nd one but I truly want to wait until he is settled in more? or should I proceed with a 2nd one?

Would just like to encourage muzzle use-especially with grand daughter- until everybody knows everybody better. It will take the pressure off everybody especially him and may protect him from mistakes that any new houndie might make. Congratulations! He sounds like a fine young houndie but as you are already learning remember you will have to protect and guide him as needed.:)

Edited by racindog

Guest Jubilee251

Some patience and understanding will go very far in helping Indy settle down. Are you a first-time dog owner? I'm asking because before Molly and Jet, I had NEVER owned a dog. If you had asked me before, I would've told you growling was aggressive and I would NEVER tolerate a dog that growls.

A few books later and reading this site, I've come to learn that growling is just a dog's way of saying, "I don't feel comfortable with this." Jet has growled and snapped at both me and my husband, and I would NEVER classify him as aggressive in the least. He is the dopiest, gentlest boy. But he just doesn't like certain things, like being moved when he is lying down. And that's perfectly fine.

I would wait a bit to get the second - you might find yourself overwhelmed.

Guest KennelMom

:nod

Do you correct your cats for their "aggressive" behvior of growling and hissing at the dog, especially if he's acting normally and appropriately at the time.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Swifthounds

I can't thank you all enough for your input and help. It will truly make his (and my) adjustment so much easier. I absolutely adore him. He is a wonderful dog and for years I have wanted to adopt a greyhound. Lord knows they deserve some pampering after their lives at the farms. My son is already asking for a 2nd one but I truly want to wait until he is settled in more? or should I proceed with a 2nd one?

I think where it's financially feasible, two hounds are better than one, both for you and for the hounds. That said, I would wait 3-6 months until your new hound is well settled and knows the ropes. That way, you'll have a routine, you'll know what you've mastered and what needs some work, and you'll have a better idea of what his personality is like. Then I would suggest using an adoption group that either has a kennel, or will let your hound meet lots of different hounds and be guided by his reaction more than your own reaction to a particular dog. It's much more important that they get along than anything else (except cat safeness :) ).

I would really muzzle him when your 3 year old granddaughter visits. I muzzle all my greyhounds when anyone smaller than them is here. Accidents happen so I like to play it safe.

Same thing with older people visiting that have thin skin. They bruise easily and do not heal as fast as young adults.

Safety and peace of mind first.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Guest lasharp1209

I just want to add that he may continue to test boundaries every so often. We have had Blade 7-8 months and he is still settling in. Most of the time he is wonderful, but every so often we have to remind him that certain things are off limits, or certain behaviors are unacceptable. There may not be a one-step fix, it will probably be a process of him learning about you and you learning about him.

Time to trot this out one more time. Your dogs new life from HIS point of view.

Credit Kathleen Gilley.

Of all breeds of dogs, the ex-racing Greyhound has never had to be responsible for anything in his life. His whole existence has been a dog-centered one. This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and tail. The only prohibition in a racing

Greyhound's life is not to get into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling, at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you, without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked. The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and every thing else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge. You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood, it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual; you were always part of the "condo association?; the sorority or fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack. The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

In my "mobile abode," the Greyhounds each have several unique names, but they also have a single common name: it is Everybody. We continue to do things as a group, pack or as we are affectionately known in-house, by Kathleen's Husbandit, "The Thundering Herd."

Back to those who have not been permanently homed. Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone. There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him, isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go though walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now, especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all, what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch, kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances, sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to tell the adoptor when they had to go out? How many for jumping on people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-year old human. But with your love and help, you can make it happen.

everyone has already posted the most pertinent stuff. The only thing I will add that has always worked for me is whenever one of my dogs has exhibited some kind of behavior that I don't approve of a sharp 'EH!' almost always works.

Guest pichick712

No, I am not a first time dog owner. I had a poodle as a child, then various mutts, then an Akita and newfoundlands (which live with my ex husband). he got them in the divorce. I was a renter for 9 years and was not allowed to have a dog so now that I have a house I wanted a dog. I didnt want just any dog, it had to be a rescue, Lord knows they need homes and love. Anyone can go to a pet store and buy a dog but I would never do that. I have always loved greyhounds and wanted to help. I have had dominant dogs and then pushovers like the newfies. I wanted a dog that was sort of in the middle.

My granddaughter had very close access to Indy when he first arrived. At the time, I was not concerned about him hurting her but he was also very scared and reserved himself. I am thinking that muzzling him for a while may be a good idea as he will not have daily access to her. Never hurts to be cautious.

Indy is showing me what he wants and needs and I am showing him what I expect from him. Every day will be a learning day for the both of us. I believe that rescue dogs know they have been rescued and are even more faithful than that pet store puppy. Indy and I will have many years together. We are still getting to know each other. I am so grateful for all the input and advice. It may not be easy but it will definitelly be worth it.

Ok, you already got lots of good advice, I just want to add some here, because I am dealing with a "new" hound too, one who raced and then had a few litters of puppies, and at almost 9 years old finally has a forever home. At first, she was perfect, as in does nothing I don't want her to do, very demure, sweet hound. Then she started "exploring", and was shocked to find there are rules, she never had rules before. Just a minute ago I found she had taken my reading glasses from the bedroom, carried them to her crate, and started chewing them. This is not bad behavior, she just didn't know....she doesn't know that jumping up on people is not so good, that "tasting" everything in sight is not good, that food out in the open doesn't mean she can have it. Little by little they discover new things, and it is up to us to teach them, yes, you can do/have this, or no, you can't. The good thing is, once a behavior emerges, you can either re-enforce it, or shut it down. Not until that behavior comes up is that even an option, and they are so smart, they get it fast. These dogs don't know right from wrong, they try different things, and it is up to you to deal with it. Karma can jump on the counters, but to this day she hasn't taken anything, I know she can, if she wanted to, clear it all, and one day she will, and hopefully I catch her and can say "NO", until then it is up to me to keep harmful things out of her reach. I get what it is like, imagine being in a new work place, and not knowing the unwritten rules, and you know what the dogs go through. Until now, they had no idea there were rules....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Gazehund, thank you so much for post that. It truly puts things into perspective.

It really is a must read for new hound owners and a great refresher for those of us who have had hounds for many years. You are most welcome for the post. Credit for the wisdom goes to Kathleen Gilley of the Gilley Girls.

Guest pichick712

It does put things into perspective. Indy is like a small child who speaks a totally different language and is now for the first time in a home surrounded by noises, activities,and people who love him. Everyday is a learning day for him and I am grateful that he is a pretty smart guy. He will be fine in time. We have patience and lots oflove to give him.

When I looked at all the greyhounds up for adoption I wanted the dog to pick me instead of me picking him/her. I had no specific wishes, I was more interested in temperment and being cat friendly. Little did I know that one truly does not see their temperment on that initial visit. The temperment comes out much later. I looked at 4 (and could have looked at many more) but truly could not see much of a difference in them. They were all scared and reserved. I wish I could have adopted them all but I could only save one (for now) and I am so glad I picked Indy. I hope he is glad as well.

For those of you who have facebook - Indy has his own page - look up Indy the Greyhound and become his friend. It's really very cute. He's a very special boy and I am willing to do whatever I can to help him learn and transition into being a great member of the family.