Cedar Allergy?

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Cobb has been with me for 6 months now. He's had allergies since we've had him. His eyes are red and water. His skin is pink and irritated looking. We started him on 75 mg of benedryl x 2 and he's much better. He still has some symptoms but they are greatly reduced. Over the week-end, I noticed his skin and eyes were red again. I bought a new Costco bed last week. I'm wondering if he could be allergic to cedar. Has anyone else's bound had a cedar allergy?

Edited by MorganKonaAlex

Guest buttonwillow

I understand many greyhounds are sensitive to cedar oil. I would love to have a cedar bed but have steered away from it for that reason...

I have also heard about the cedar warning and the Costco beds definitely have some cedar in them. If Summer had reacted to the Costco bed, I would have opened it up and removed the cedar. Perhaps you could try that?

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I have also heard about the cedar warning and the Costco beds definitely have some cedar in them. If Summer had reacted to the Costco bed, I would have opened it up and removed the cedar. Perhaps you could try that?

I haven't opened this one but other Costco beds' do not have zippered liners.

Interesting that others have been told greys have a cedar intolerance. I hadn't heard that before and this is my first one that has a problem.

I've heard that also. Can you put a double cover on it? That might reduce the exposure or even put a plastic cover over the bed and then the cloth cover.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mountain4greys

It's possible it could be cedar, but you did say you had Cobb for 6 months, and just got this bed recently. It's possible cedar is playing a role, but it sounds like something else is helping with the allergies to.

When I bought my first Costco bed, I only bought one to try it out on my 6 hounds. No problems. Now they all have Costco beds.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

It's possible it could be cedar, but you did say you had Cobb for 6 months, and just got this bed recently. It's possible cedar is playing a role, but it sounds like something else is helping with the allergies to.

He exhibited allergy symptoms in the kennel before coming to my home and has continued to have symptoms. I have 6+ dog beds around the house. Almost all of them are older Costco beds that no longer smell of cedar but of course, it's still in there. A cedar allergy didn't occur to me until his flare-up this last week. I've switched the new bed to a spot that he's not likely to use to see if his skin improves. I thought I would check here if others experienced it before I start replacing all our dog beds.

If he already had allergic symptoms before you got him, it's likely NOT the bed. He could have an allergy to one or more types of pollen. I know my last dog did. The got worse and worse until the ONLY time he wasn't miserable was winter.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest MorganKonaAlex

If he already had allergic symptoms before you got him, it's likely NOT the bed. He could have an allergy to one or more types of pollen. I know my last dog did. The got worse and worse until the ONLY time he wasn't miserable was winter.

Sure, that's possible. He's probably allergic to multiple things. Since the only thing that changed last week was the bed, I'm think one of them is cedar.

Reactions to cedar are not at all uncommon in many pets. Have heard of some probs with dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs & even horses. I had a dog who had a problem with both cedar & pine. She had watery, itchy eyes & a slight cough every year during pine pollen season. I have trouble with items containing pine & cedar oils, ex. pine shavings used for stall bedding & cedar shavings in some dog beds. As long as I wear gloves I am OK.

I think most of us with allergies are allergic to more than one thing. Wouldn't surprise me if cedar was making things worse.