Ruptured Disk

Guest 3furkids

Guest 3furkids

We checked on him yesterday and although not what I would like to see we have decided to bring him home today. He is eating well (what he likes anyway),

he is walking assisted, with slings, and can get up on the front legs but needs help with the back. I think he will get better fasted with lots of love and one on one attention. Our house looks like a disaster hit it but it's safe! Will post tomorrow and let you know how his first night at home went.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We checked on him yesterday and although not what I would like to see we have decided to bring him home today. He is eating well (what he likes anyway),

he is walking assisted, with slings, and can get up on the front legs but needs help with the back. I think he will get better fasted with lots of love and one on one attention. Our house looks like a disaster hit it but it's safe! Will post tomorrow and let you know how his first night at home went.

THANKS so much for such happy news! I too think there is no doubt he will get better faster at home where he will be showered in love! Kisses to Casey! and prayers still going up from KY for a rapid recovery!smile.gif

Hoping Casey is doing well and making steady progress toward recovery. Thinking of you and your pupper every day.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 3furkids

Well we finally got him him but I can see it's going to be a long road to recovery. He went out at 9 to potty, cried at midnight so we took him out again.

He did nothing. Brought him back in (it's does take 2 of us each time) and he cried for over an hour. Finally gave him 1/2 an acepromazine (tranquilizer) and he still cried. My husband wound up sleeping on the floor outside the crate until 4am. He is still down as we speak. Read up on acepromazine the Dr. prescribed and it said to us other types in Greyhounds. Anybody know anything about this drug?? We had only planned on using it if he tried to do to much and we couldn't control him. I think he was crying cause he wasn't in the bed as he had been his whole like. I'm not using the tranqs anymore.

Guest ChasesMum

I was gonna say, he was probably ticked off that his warm cushy bed was right there and he was locked in the crate. You might try just a soft bed on the floor and DH beside him so he doesnt get up and try to climb the bed?

Is your bed upstairs? When our angel was dealing with neck/spine issues we actually just moved our mattress downstairs. It was better for all of us because we were right there when she needed to go out and she settled better because everything she wanted was right there.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Burpdog or Batmom or mcsheltie or Energy would know about the ace. I think I heard it was dangerous but I honestly don't know the details. I'll pm one of them and ask them to post for you since you might not have pm yet.

Edited by racindog

Guest Energy11

Well we finally got him him but I can see it's going to be a long road to recovery. He went out at 9 to potty, cried at midnight so we took him out again.

He did nothing. Brought him back in (it's does take 2 of us each time) and he cried for over an hour. Finally gave him 1/2 an acepromazine (tranquilizer) and he still cried. My husband wound up sleeping on the floor outside the crate until 4am. He is still down as we speak. Read up on acepromazine the Dr. prescribed and it said to us other types in Greyhounds. Anybody know anything about this drug?? We had only planned on using it if he tried to do to much and we couldn't control him. I think he was crying cause he wasn't in the bed as he had been his whole like. I'm not using the tranqs anymore.

Hi. I am sorry you guys are all going through this!

I do not like Acepromazine for Greyhounds! It effects them much differently. I have been told that it is almost like they are trapped within their own bodies, and cannot move, but still feel fear and pain.

If you are going to use a tranqulizer, and I actually think, in this case, it might be a good idea, I'd suggest Valium, which calms, and is also has muscle relaxing properties.

Just remember, not all vets understand greyhounds and Ace.

Good Luck and keep us posted! Dee

Ace is a funny drug -- it works well for some dogs but others have weird, unhelpful reactions to it. So as Dee above notes, it would be worth asking the vet for something different such as Valium. Hopefully he won't need anything for too many more days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest 3furkids

Oh, I think the problems have barely started. He does not like confinement of any kind. I think this must mean he is feeling better. He has been barking and carrying on and now Cooper is rooing. Good thing we live in the country. People would think we are beating out dogs. I'm not sure we'll make it. We put him on a quilt in the bedroom last night and put a mattress on the floor next to him. That was not good enough he wanted the bed. So to get some sleep we put couches, etc around the bed and he slept there with my husband. At least we got a few hours of sleep. He did a good BM this am which we were so gald. First one since home. He is eating well. He does NOT want to be in the crate unless one of us is in there with him. We take him from room to room with us and he can see us but he still cries and I know it's not from pain or discomfort because as soon as I go sit in the crate with him he settles down and sleeps. Hopefully we can outlast him but he is a stubborn cuss.

Glad he is feeling well enough to be a pest at least, even tho it is at your expense. Fingers crossed that the days get easier! Perhaps as he heals there might be some fairly sedentary games (such as http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1724) that would help to amuse him and wear him out.

From afar it sounds like he's really improving but having to nurse him so much you probably can't see it as well. I think overall that stubborness will serve him well - sounds like it will inspire him to fight to get well. Hope you have a more restful day today & tonight. Thanks so much for the updates. Still praying!smile.gif

Edited by racindog

Guest ChasesMum

is there some way to maybe tether him with a leash or something and just have him on a dog bed (I don't know what is appropriate with his surgeries, collar? harness? hmmm)

just a random thought. poor guy, he does sound very stubborn!!

Maybe he would like a big stuffed teddy wearing your dirty tshirt in his crate?

Guest 3furkids

It's been a full time job! Just wish he could talk. When he whines is he bored, frustrated or need to go out. It a real calorie burner getting him up and out. He can not get up by himself so we have a towel like thing we put under him to pull him up. No more collars for him harness only. He has to be carried outside (and my husband has a bad back) He wants to head to the river and eat grass but it's not very level. 2 steps rest 2 steps rest long process with one person on each end. Not supporting him completely but there for support. I try picking grass for him but I guess I don't get the correct blades. He is eating well and has a BM each day so far. He seems to be happiest on the bed (where he normally spends most of the day). He can look out the window. Seems to be more tired today, didn't move much last night and hasn't asked to go out yet today. Maybe we overdid it yesterday. Dr. said complete confinement for 2 weeks. Massage muscles and only 3 minutes of walking twice a day or as needed to potty. He is still on pain meds and antibotics. The staples were removed from his neck before we brought him home and I will take him to my vet Thurs or Fri to remove the staples in his hip. He has lots of bed sores on his legs I keep putting meds on. Poor guy has been to hell and back. He is getting spoiled (even more) eating chicken and steak but he needs his strength.

Thanks again for everyons support and prayers. Hopefully he is on the road to recovery!!!

For Casey:kiss1.gif

Thanks for the update. Yes it sounds like progress is painfully slow but the important thing is he is moving in the right direction getting better(and that he is getting spoiled rotten). I am sure he will progress faster as he keeps moving forward.

All the meds may be upsetting his stomach. You might want to only give his meds on a full stomach and maybe give him a pepcid 30 minutes before each meal.

Get better soon, Casey :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Che_mar_Cody

Annie gave my great comfort when Cody slipped his disc last year. He's 70% healed and no surgery was needed. I'm not going to lie to you it's a tough road to go down and keeping a grey immobile for 5 weeks was tough. My boy basically can't shake his head side to side and has some shaky legs getting up at times, but he's doing really well. He doesn't go for long walks as it's a strain on him. Cody's 11

I'm asking the Dr for pain meds this year as he's getting a touch worse, or maybe I'm just afraid and see things wrong. I have him on a great supplement that worked miracles after my incident last year.

Prayers headed your way :hope :hope

Guest 3furkids

I'm not sure what is causing all his problems. Is it the ruptured disk or the dislocated hip? He is improving and if, on level ground does a pretty good job of walking. We have to carry him our the yard and up a hill to get him on level solid ground but he walks for several minutes. I still have the leash on the harness and my husband has the belly strap loose just for safety. He still hasn't stood by himself but that's OK. He is on his bed in the den and eye balling the couch so I know he is feeling better. Cooper, his 8 yr old brother, is doing so well with him. It's like he knows something is not right and he runs to him if he whines or cries. We do not let them walk together as Cooper just might want to try and get him to play. Cooper may be 8 but acts like a 2 year old. I am still giving him pain meds but wonder if he really need them. He has a follow-up with the surgeon next Friday. Thanks for the support!

Wonderful report! Improving... walking... t won't be long now before up on the couch he'll go! Sometimes its a good thing that time flies isn't it? Thanks for the updates. Will continue to pray for continued improvement!smile.gif Considering all the poor guy has been through he is doing really great I think. He's obviously a tough ol' fella