Guest Shermanator

All about feeders!  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use raised feeders?

• Yes, both water and food
    • Yes, but only food
    • Yes, but only water
    • No, they eat off the floor
  2. 2. If you do use raised feeders- what type of feeder do you use?

• A raised commerical feeder - with either 2 or 3 bowls
    • Plant stands with the bowls on them
    • A small table
    • I got creative and made my own
    • Other

Have always used a raised feeder. As a matter of fact, my DH made ours and I painted and stenciled it. Top was getting pretty dirty so he took it out to sand it down and repaint it. I only have the one so put the food bowl on the floor. Nope, Ranger was not going to eat there. So, I took out a box and put the food bowl on top of that. Nope, was not going to eat there either. So, took out a step stool and put the food bowl on top of that. Nope, wouldn't eat that way either!!!!

I finally told DH to finish that feeder or this dog was not eating. Well, it finally dried and I put it back late last night. He finally ate his breakfast about 11:00 last night!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HalfMoonGH

Actually the risk is a lot more than "extremely" small. I don't think you are correct in your assertion that these were all "show" dogs, or even that the dogs must have been stressed if they were. See below to know why this risk was verifiable.

<quote>

One traditional preventative has been to raise the height of food and water bowls, but this was found to actually *increase risk by 110 percent.* This correlation of risk was verifiable; the dogs of the breeders in this study did not have close relatives that had experienced bloat.<end quote>

<http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=TUFTSBG2003&Category=824&PID=5091&O=Generic>

Heather

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

raised feeders for everyone. The increase in the risk of bloat in the Purdue study was actually extremely small...and I think the study was somewhat flawed to begin with because they used all show dogs, which tend to have higher stress levels than your average couch ornament.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dragontearz

Correlation does not mean causation. Technically, if 1000 people slept the night before the earthquake in Japan, there would then be a correlation between those 1000 people sleeping and and all that devastation. Does not mean one causes the other.

• 2 weeks later...

For Kasey we have a Rubbermaid container that holds all the basic dogs stuff, and it's just high enough to use for feeding, fits two bowls and there is an edge so the bowls won't slide off the top.

IMG00170-20090916-0720.jpg

For Ryder we went out and bought a raised feeder. No storage under it though.

I prefer the raised feeders because IMO I feel that the floor is just way too much of a stretch for them to reach.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest zaylea

I use large dog Neater Feeders with large leg extensions. They're wonderful. I had some other elevated bowls from petsmart, but they always looked messy and there was water all over the floor, etc. My bowls have to be near this sliding glass door with white vertical blinds, and the neater feeders keeps them from splashing all over them. It also keeps most of the water off the floor, except for maybe a few drops. They're a little pricey, but I'm kind of a neat freak and I don't have time to clean up their daily mess from eating.

Edit: Rather, it keeps the water off the floor by filtering it into an easy to clean tray below the bowls. Stray kibble stays on top.

Edited by zaylea

Guest mads0100

Comfort! Our grey has a tough time eating if we don't give him raised bowls. He'll lay down to eat otherwise and looks miserable.

• 3 years later...
Guest Lillypad

Feed raw on an old sheet in the winter, feed outside in the summer. She lays down, grasps food in her front paw and away she goes. No bowls in this household tall or short. Water bowl on the floor. There are mixed opinions (like everything, I guess) whether raised or lower makes any difference in preventing bloat. I guess it would help with comfort. But I can tell you when she is tearing into her raw food, I guarantee she couldn't be any more comfortable. LOL

Guest Lillypad

We use raised feeders most times. AFAIK there's been just the one study showing that raised feeders increase the risk of bloat. I recall reading some criticism of that study but don't remember what it was so can't agree or disagree. The two dogs we've had bloat were both debilitated with age; neither ate from a raised feeder at the time. ..... I will say that any sign of distress, odd appearance, odd behavior after eating, we are at the vet. You betcha it costs, but if your dog does bloat, every minute counts. ..... Every dog owner should read up on the signs and symptoms of bloat and reread a couple times a year. Note that abdominal distension may appear in the ribcage and not in the tuck area so it can be hard to spot.

Bloat... my greatest fear. So true, knowledge is power. I remind everyone in the household of signs to watch for. I have an emergency plan in place, should it happen when I am not home. My family know exactly where the Gas-X, e-vet and cab money are. I pray I never have to act on my plan. Great reminder, thanks Batmom

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard mixed things about elevated feeders to prevent bloat. I use elevated feeders for comfort more than to prevent bloat. I have read that elevated bowls can lead to bloat or increase the risk factors. I more watch the amount of food and time before and after exercise.

Kristen mom to-

Sp FancyPants (Fanny)- 4.20.12 Adopted 3.8.14

Rico's Maggie (Maggie)- 12.3.12 Adopted 1.21.15