Bald Butt

Guest needlenosemom

Guest Swifthounds

Flax isn't going to help. It's too high in Omega 6s, which are already high in the average canine diet. You would want to add an omega 3 source, like fish body oil or salmon oil.

My dogs have been on fish oil for a long time. While their coats are nice and shiny, I did not see any new hair growth from it. For Dessie and Disco, it is the Melatonin that is making they fuzzy. I did not see any decrease in their level of activity either. Of course with Disco, it's pretty hard to tell extremely laze from incredibly lazy. :lol :lol

But I love the new soft and fuzzy fur they are growing. So even if I am messing with their hormones :rolleyes: just to grow coat, :rolleyes: they will continue it. :P I personally don't think there is enough of the actual hormone in most OCT products to really call it a hormone anymore. But than again, what do I know anyway. We have only had 7 greyhounds, far from the level that would make us experts or hero'es.B)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest johnandheidi

We have been curious about the bald bum, too. I had assumed it was pretty common in greyhounds.

Jeff's bum and belly were totally bald when he joined us back in November. Walter, who we got at the same time, has always had super fuzzy bum & belly. I just noticed about a week ago that Jeff is growing new fuzzy hair on both his bum & belly. Not sure why. We were curious if the hair growth is due to his diet, lower stress levels, or just plain age. They've been eating the same diet for months, Holistic Select Fish Medley, and this did help with his dandruff. I'm wondering if it's just age, he turned 6 in July. Because I don't know either of the dogs' histories, I don't really have a point of reference for the change.

I'd understand if people suggested weather, but we live in Phoenix. Our weather is still 100+ every day.

Would love some insight!

Kind regards,

heidi + john

jeff + walter

• 1 month later...

We've been giving Bella the 3mg/day almost since we adopted her and have noticed a little difference but not much. I'm about ready to give up because I really don't care if she has a bald butt, but DH is sort of obsessed with getting her hair regrown :rolleyes: She does have a pretty thin coat all over anyway.

I'm wondering if it's worth it to raise the dose for a few weeks to see if there is a change - but then, if we stop, does any regrown hair go away? Hadn't thought that one through, really.

Edited by sarabz

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

It would raise the dose to 10 mg a day.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Wendy's coat was not in bad shape to begin with. She had two, silver-dollar sized bald spots on her neck and one on one butt-cheek. I began giving her 5 mgs. Melatonin with dinner and told myself that if I didn't see any noticeable improvement within 3 months, I'd call it quits. Let me tell you gang, this stuff is amazing! Wendy's previously nice coat is now superb. Full and fluffy and mega-watt shiny. If only Melatonin worked as well for my thinning hair! Oh, and no sleepiness nor (additional :lol ) dopeyness.

I would raise the dose to 10 mg a day.
I agree with this.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Just tell your hubby that vanity is one of the seven deadly sins and leave it alone.

:rofl :rofl

*whisper* I think it's because he's a little sensitive about his thinning spot.....

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Just tell your hubby that vanity is one of the seven deadly sins and leave it alone.

*whisper* I think it's because he's a little sensitive about his thinning spot.....

Perhaps he needs melatonin too. ;):lol

Perhaps he needs melatonin too. ;):lol

:rofl I dunno. He delivered to me one of the hairiest greyhounds I've yet encountered, except possibly for Cully's hounds. Y'all who want hairier hounds might ask her how she does it -- thick, lush, complete coats on all her dogs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.