Any Owners With A Grey With No Teeth?

Guest susan4665

Guest susan4665

My grey is 8 years old now and is really getting picky with her food and I think it's her mouth. Each year I have done the dental and I hate doing it. 2 years ago they took out 7 teeth to my surprise. This last dental done only 2 months ago the vet marked Bad Peridontal Disease must be seen in 6 months. Now the teeth are worse than ever and the breath is bad with bleeding gums. I brush and do all what everyone else is doing. I even noticed she somehow my grey lost a front tooth. Has anyone had all the teeth removed? This is a tough option but one I would like to explore. She's a great grey and I want her to live as long as she can without doing dental every 6 months as it's not only tough on her but me as well with her being put under.

I welcome any thoughts about removing all teeth...

Guest ThunderPaws

No need to worry, dogs do very well without teeth. My Waldo only has his four canines and still eats dry kibble and small biscuits. He can't do pig ears or knuckle bones anymore, but he loves his pressed rawhide sticks that he can gum on until they get soft enought to eat. He also likes peanut butter filled kongs and femur bones.

Just wanted to add that removing canine teeth is indeed a more involved surgery since their roots sit very deep in the bone. Hopefully they don't have to be pulled.

Edited by ThunderPaws

My Sprite lost most of her teeth in one surgery at 10 {after several dentals and much antibiotic use(she had two left at the end, one a canine, the other did require two surgeries to close up the hole but she did well)} She made it to 15.

She recovered quickly from their removal and her overall health improved greatly from having so many bad teeth. We already fed soaked kibble so she made out great with that, she'd still gummed her snausages and scarfed down most anything she could, lol. She would even gum the rawhide chews I had for the younger pups.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

Guest MyBoys

One of my bridge boys had all but 5 teeth removed because of gum disease, I did all the right things in taking care of his teeth but my vet said it is the same as humans, it is something they can inherit. I would not hesitate in getting all those bad teeth removed ASAP, your girl will feel so much better, imagine how you feel with a just a tooth ach, her whole mouth is sore and sooner then later it will effect her eating, plus it can spread throughout her entire body. Believe me, she will figure out how to eat without teeth and enjoy eating much more then with the bad teeth in her mouth. In the beginning, the first week or so while the gums were healing I fed my boy soft food so he would not have to chew at all, after that he was able to eat his kibble with just warn water added to it and a little canned food or chicken. He did great and was with us to the ripe old age of 15. Please don't worry about her eating, just get those bad teeth removed.

Guest GriffinsMom

I adopted Miles when he was 8 1/2 and his mouth was green and oozing. He had a dental the first week he was home and lost 30 teeth. He is much happier and healthier now that his mouth is no longer sore and infected. The canines could be a problem as they sit so deep in the bone the dogs jaw can be fractured or broken while trying to remove them. Maybe save the canines and continue with your brushing and disinfecting routine? I brush Miles's remaining teeth every night and rub Novaldent on his gums to help prevent infection. So far his few teeth and gums are healthy.

Miles diet has changed recently as he was diagnosed with pancreatitius but I used to feed him raw. I just ground the meat and added veggie slop and he had no trouble eating. He can also eat kibble with no problems.

Guest susan4665

Thank you for the information. At this point I will be doing nothing with the teeth. Zoey started a reverse sneeze the other day and stopped eating then lost 80% of her energy. I took her to the vet to discuss this and teeth and her gums were bleeding. Blood work was done and platelet count was 6000 so no dental work will be performed. She is now on an antibiotic but the vet didn't really what was wrong just that we might want to do a bone marrow biopsy. The vet originally offered me the annual wellness plan for Zoey but then said I should do the annual plan as he wasn't sure if she would make it. She did eat last night... but we are very upset. I would rather the vet say she is dying then beat around the bush. Anyone else have such low platelet count and the dog responded? Or is it probably cancer? I just want the facts. FYI - tick tests were done and no other problems arose other than low platelet count.

My Paradise only has 2 teeth left and she does just fine

Edited to add, I saw your last response, I am so sorry. Keeping you and Zoey in my thoughts.

Edited by 2hounds

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest Grhndad

My bridge kid, Nancy, had no teeth. We adopted her from the farm at 8 1/2 yr old and she came to us with no teeth. She ate anything that didn't eat her, Kibble, medium Milk Bone biscuits. She even got a possum in the back yard one night. Her favorite treat of all time was Oreo's.

Buddy only had the bottom 2 canines left. I would barely cover his food with warm tap water, and then put it in the oven for @ 1/2 hour. I didn't turn on the heat, but because it is gas, with the pilot light on it says @ 70 degrees in there. He loved it. He was never able to eat hard treats again though.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho

My Kara isn't totally toothless, but nearly so with only seven teeth, three of which are canines. Kara's teeth were so bad she lost 29 at one time while she was still my foster. She does surprising well. It just takes her a bit longer to deal with crunchy cookies.

If your hound has actually lost a tooth, has bleeding gums and "killer" breath, those are sure signs of periodontal disease. Believe me you'll both be happier without the teeth.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

EZ is missing 17 teeth after one major dental. The rest don't look good. But he does just fine withouth those 17. Good luck.

Robin

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest KennelMom

We had Erin who came to us with only one tooth and Grandpa who came to us with only his canine teeth and the little ones in between - he eventually lost all of his teeth. When our vet did his dental at 13 to remove the rest of his teeth she said she felt awful...like a butcher, but she knew they had to come out. He was SO much happier afterwards! His teeth were just bad, bad, bad even with brushing 2 times a day (we also have his daughter and she has the same horrid teeth).

anyhoo...we called them our Toothless Wonders :lol They did great and ate kibble like all the other dogs. For treats they got PB kongs,

Frosty Paws or room temp marrow bones where they could lick the marrow out like a kong.

Guest Heehoo

Gabby is 13 and has 4 1/2 teeth. She does very well with dry food & treats. I let her food sit a lot longer with warm water & then I start their food, it doesn't slow her down at all. She's still got her "canines" so she's a force to be reckoned with if anyone even looks at her food. he he he