Trainer Coming Tomorrow

Guest Furmom

Guest Furmom

So I interviewed 5 trainers (over the last month) and finally made my decision – she referred someone else – interviewed her and thought it was a good fit. She called tonight to confirm our appointment tomorrow and I have to say I am nervous….. her and I agree on training models, got a lot of good questions off this site – but still – I am of the school of fixable – and thought I needed some help but what if she says something negative about Camp that I think is ridiculous (or Bee my other hound being a Velcro dog). My goal is to get Camp into a class by my original trainer this Sept – she said that she needs to learn stay (and be firm) before I can bring her so I thought private lessons to help me would be good …. Thoughts….

Your chances of having a good experience are increased if you can approach this in an optimistic or at least open spirit. Nervousness is not your friend! It has nothing good to contribute, it can only mess you up; so try to let it go. If the trainer says something ridiculous, it doesn't matter. She can't force you to *do* anything you don't agree with, right? Don't worry about your dogs feeling criticized; they can take it! The question is, can you. wink.gif

I really hope you have a great experience. :bighug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Furmom

Your chances of having a good experience are increased if you can approach this in an optimistic or at least open spirit. Nervousness is not your friend! It has nothing good to contribute, it can only mess you up; so try to let it go. If the trainer says something ridiculous, it doesn't matter. She can't force you to *do* anything you don't agree with, right? Don't worry about your dogs feeling criticized; they can take it! The question is, can you. wink.gif

I really hope you have a great experience. :bighug

You and my DH must have went to the same school - he is so calm - we have been so open to others opinion on GT (and it has worked) that I should at least give her a chance - if something is off - give her a chance as long as it is not strict discipline which we both don't agree to...

If she wants you to do something you don't agree with, ask questions and then make up your mind. If she wants you to change things that don't bother you, tell her, "I'd like to focus on XYZ." I hardly ever agree with anyone :lol but have managed to enjoy many training classes with my dogs. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest jaws4evr

Most trainers out there will respect your decisions to opt out of a method or an exercise, after explaining to you why they feel the way they do.

Have an open mind, walk in with a positive attitude, and it will rub off on your pup. Trust your instincts as well, and ask questions. Try to work WITH your trainer, and not just blindly follow, or out and out reject.

Im currious to hear how it goes, let us know :) and good luck

Stay is a pretty easy command, I find the mistake most people make is increasign duration/distance far too soon. IMO two things are key when teaching stay... and i eralize you didn't ask for training advice but I have "stay" related pet peves so ...

1. babysteps with duration and distance. if yoru dog breaks his stay, you pushed too far too fast and you need to decrease distance/time. set him up for success every time, and take it slow from there.

2. use a release word! if you don't tell your dog when he can move, then he will decide when! if you use a releaes word every single time you work in a stationary exercise, the dog will wait for you to give the command before moving. obviously this is the entire purpose of "stay", so is very very important :)

**edit** oh and, if she says something negative about Camp, or a part of your interaction with him, try not to think of it as criticism, think of it as merely an observation, and an opportunity for the two of you to learn someting new, and gain a stronger bond. :) even small changes in the way we interact with our dogs on a daily basis can make a world of difference in their long term behavior.

Edited by jaws4evr

Guest Furmom

Thanks Jane :) I vaccumed the floors, got Bee's drool marks off the couch and am heading into the shower!! I will wash the girls faces right before she comes at 11:30 - if anything we will make a really clean impression :)

Guest Furmom

Things went great!! She gave me a lot of different training scenarios that I can put into play around the house and outside to work with Camp's patience and attention :) Near the end I think Camp was full cause food was not really working - 1 hour is too long - she said 2 sessions of 15 minutes daily mix it up plus just little things I can do around the house when she is following me around. I am supposed to e-mail her all the things we went over and she will review and then I can use them as notes. She also said that Camp should be ready for group sessions in September - so I am super happy as that will give us something to do together that doesn't involve the other girls and we can hopefully bond :)