Amputation For My Grey

Guest tiffysmith

Guest azlorenz

She looks greyt and RELAXED! Look at that girly roach!!!!

We have two girlie greys plus Flash. We let the girls come into Flash's make-shift hospital 2 days after he got home from the hospital. It was just too pitiful watching them hold vigil outside the x-pen and our vet encouraged it to continue life as normal as possible for everyone. We still seperated them most of the day to give him enough space to relax and feel comfortable. We slept with him and would allow the girls to sleep with him as well since we were there to supervise. Then we stopped seperating them after his staples were out. He was terribly cautious around them for the next couple weeks but beginning last week "Katie Bar the Door" it was back to their old tricks. He uses the dog door like a champ and is roaching on the sofe 99% of the time.

I will tell you we have had some jealously issues. Nothing major but I know there have been some hurt feelings over all the attention Flash is getting. I've gotten the stink-eye multiple times so beware.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Annie does look good! I agree that muzzles and re-introduce them one at a time. Annie is likely feeling very cautious and is warning them.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest tiffysmith

Well, Chewie my little rescue schnoodle (jumpy guy ;-) busted through the gate and ran up to Annie. Amazingly enough, he did not jump on her. I was in shock because he is the most jumpy yappy dog you will ever meet. He sniffed her and then jumped up on the couch and laid down. Annie never flinched. Today after she gets her stitches out I will try to let all three dogs hang out (supervised). At night I will continue to keep her in the living room... I think the peace is better for her.

We are going to get her stitches out at 11am. She has one staple. I am so worried it is going to hurt her getting these all out :-( She is also scheduled for all of her shots...anyone see anything wrong with getting her shots today? The appt. was scheduled months ago.

Thanks!!

If she seems stressed to you, I would wait on the shots. Getting the staples out shouldn't hurt -- just a funny little tug feeling for each one.

How many shots does she need? Our vet does everything except leptospirosis and bordetella (kennel cough) on 3-year rotation now. We live in a lepto area so we get that one every year. We do bordetella only if we'll be out and about at dog gatherings. So generally only 1-2 shots at one time. Some owners choose to vaccinate only as required by law after the dog is @ 1-2 years old and has had the full puppy series + 1 set of boosters.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tiffysmith

Hi everyone. Just wanted to update you on Annie. She had the rest of her stitches out on Tuesday and finished up all of her meds. Today I opened up the door to let her out and before I could get next to her she went running down the steps. My heart nearly stopped. Up until today I have been helping her down one step at a time. There are only 5-6 cement steps...but it seemed like 100 to me. Well I thought it was a fluke (like she had just totally forgotten she was missing a leg), but low and behold she has done it three more times since. Her hair is all growing back in and she is acting completely normal. I have to admit the first couple of weeks were pretty brutal (all the way around). And I swear I did not think she would ever master going down the steps again. Thank you guys for all of your advice and support !!!

That is greyt news! Annie will really surprise you on what she can do on three legs. I still tell Charlie to "slow down" or "be careful" when he runs full tilt after Shelby or Jack - he doesn't pay me any attention though.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Way to go Annie!!!! She's a beautiful girl, and she has a wonderful family for standing by her & helping her through such a traumatic time.

Good on ALL of ya!!! Thanks for keeping us all updated. Kathy, Central Ohio

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Many prayers....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

• 1 month later...
Guest tiffysmith

Thanks to the folks who suggested I build this chip-in page for Annie. The bills for her surgery totaled $6500. I took out a Care Credit Card (with crazy interest) to get the surgery done. Needless to say I was desperate. Quite frankly I was and am not in a position to take on such a bill. However I wasn't in the position to put my beautiful 6 year old greyhound to sleep. If you guys would look at my link and possibly pass it on I would be so thankful. My hope had been if I could move to Florida and sell my house here, I could use part of the money to help with the bill. My Realtor just told me with the housing market being so bad I am never going to get what my house is worth Anyway here is the link if you could help out and/or pass if forward.

http://nothernann.chipin.com/annie-my-three-legged-greyhound