Raw Feeding In The Dmv?

Guest scarnshan

Guest scarnshan

So I wrote that knowing people would think I was talking about the department of motor vehicles, but actually I'm referring to the DC/Maryland/Virginia area.

My pup Scarlett and I just moved from NJ to DC. (You may remember us from such adventures as Scarlett spending three days out in a blizzard, but I had to sign up for a new user acct.) she's been on kibble for about six weeks and now that we're settled I'd like to get her back to raw. I don't like how her teeth are looking, nor how voluminous her poop is.

But I worry I won't be able to find a place as awesome as our beloved Bringhurst Meats in south Jersey. Does anyone have ideas about where I can get good raw supplier in the DC area? I have a car and I don't mind traveling a bit.

Thanks!

Shani & Scarlett

I do. :wave If you're willing to drive all the way to the M part of the DMV (side bar - i hate that term for this area, as do most of the people hwo live here ;) ). I have a meat supplier who does drop offs in various locations - don't know how close he gets to DC but I've picked up from him in Greenbelt and Silver Spring, the latter right on GA just off of the beltway. I think the website is www.topqualitymeats.com or maybe topqualitydogmeats. His name is Peter. His meat is almost all meat that is supplied to Whole Foods (Niman Ranch beef, B&E chk, etc.) but a few things are sourced from a local farm in PA that raises grass fed cows (the tripe and trachea are for sure). His prices are more than reasonable if you ask me. He can be little scatterbrained, but he's a genuinely good guy and knows a lot about agriculture/raising meat and raw feeding.

If you contact him, tell him Jen w/the greyhounds in Laurel referred you, just don't pass on teh scatterbrained comment. ;)

And welcome to the area! You might want to check out a yahoo group called RounningHounds - it's individuals from various groups who get together for walks and hikes occasionally. Or come volunteer with Greyhound Welfare. :colgate

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Try this: www.topqualitydogfood.com. I also purchase the bulk of my raw meaty bones from Peter. I pick up from his Silver Spring pick-up spot. Just send him an email and let him know what you want. You can also ask if he has any specials. He usually carries duck feet, too. I also agree that he is scatter-brained. Make sure you get his cell phone number. I got it after he forgot that we were to meet. I am Cindy and I have the greyhounds and antique whippet.

Welcome to the area! Where are you living? I am in Montgomery County in Maryland, way up 270.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

A growing number of us use:

Hare Today

If you would rather do your own shopping, check out local Asian markets, grocery stores that sell poultry products with little preservatives, and local poultry and duck farms in your area. Do a Google search.

Edited by RWM

I do. :wave If you're willing to drive all the way to the M part of the DMV (side bar - i hate that term for this area, as do most of the people hwo live here ;) ).

Damn the post for that article. :lol

back on topic

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

I do. greenwave.gif If you're willing to drive all the way to the M part of the DMV (side bar - i hate that term for this area, as do most of the people hwo live here wink.gif ).

Damn the post for that article. lol.gif

back on topic

Not so fast! What article? (I'm from that area originally, so I wanna know! And I admit I'm finding the term jarring.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

We buy and have it shipped from http://www.hare-today.com/

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I do. greenwave.gif If you're willing to drive all the way to the M part of the DMV (side bar - i hate that term for this area, as do most of the people hwo live here wink.gif ).

Damn the post for that article. lol.gif

back on topic

Not so fast! What article? (I'm from that area originally, so I wanna know! And I admit I'm finding the term jarring.)

Washington Post article try as they might locals will never use it. A friend suggested we call DC Okraville is we were coming up with other ridiculous nicknames besides you know "DC". :rofl

I feed kibble so I have really just been a distraction in this thread.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Heh. So when I saw this thread title I thought someone was raw feeding at the Department of Motor Vehicles and I was wondering why in the world anyone would be doing that :lol . I've never heard us referred to as DMV, only as "DelMarVa" (but that seems to exclude DC, doesn't it? Hm. )

Oh, and yes, welcome to our lovely tri-state/uni-district area. :):wave

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire