A Small Success With Blossom

Guest TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

When Blossom first came home on 6-11, her nails were really long so I had the vet trim them but they were still too long. She is still really spooky about a lot of things so I was leary about trying to do her nails, I didn't want to be the "bad guy". Last night I couldn't stand it any longer so I got her in the bedroom with her buddy, Muncie, and just started loving on her then touching her with the clippers and turning on the Dremel. It took a long time but I got all her nail trimmed and Dremeled down to where they look good. They still need to be a little shorter but the quick is going to have to receed some first. I will start using the Dremel once a week just a little bit until they are where they should be. She was a very good little girl and at the end I think she was enjoying the attention and the dried chicken bits.

Awesome! :)

Keep up with it though. Make a point to do a little something on her nails once per week for a while. Then make a special date with yourself to do something at least every couple weeks. I started out great on nails with my first grey, and he was super with it, then I got complacent, then got another grey that I wasn't so diligent with - then they both got weird about their nails. Now my 2nd grey - I can't touch her nails without major help and drama. I posted about hiring someone to trim her for me not long ago because her nails are a MESS.

Downward spiral into now not being able to do nails myself. MY FAULT. I messed up by NOT taking advantage of the opportunity I - and you- have - to make this a normal, regular thing.

Keep up the GREAT WORK - and take heed to another well-meaning - but misguided- grey-mom's mistakes. :blush Remind yourself: "I'm off to an awesome start - and I'm NOT going to make the same mistake Sobesmom did!" :P

The GT community is all about celebrating each other's small triumphs - and learning from each other's mistakes. :)

Guest scfilby

Way to go!! I'm jealous. Our Mickey fights so hard (trying to pull her paw away) that I'm afraid she is going to hurt herself. It is way too much stress and trauma, and the end results are not good anyway because of the rush. I take them to the vet every few weeks (we will be going today) and they always report she is perfect for them.. darn crazy dog..

I have been told that a grooming table will help. Right now the vet is free and only blocks from the house, so the need is not great. Once we move I will get a table and see how that goes..

HURRAY BLOSSOM.. :thumbs-up

eta-spelling..

Edited by scfilby

Guest TeddysMom

I do have 3 dogs that I have to take to the vet for nail trims because they fight like tigers trying to get away but so far the greys have been pretty good about it. One mix that we have had since he was a puppy will no longer let us give him a bath or do anything to him. He was great up to about 2 years old then just decided that he would no longer put up with it. He weighs about 60 pounds and is 9 years old but trying to hold him is like trying to wrestle an octopus with claws. He has to be tranquilized for everything.

Edited by TeddysMom

:yay :yay :yay That's a BIG success!! :yay :yay My two used to be fine with clippers, but Merlin got progressively less tolerant with them until he refused to give me his paws and would tremble. Sagan would be okay but SCREAMED if I tried to clip his dew claws :rolleyes:

I bought a dremel. It's much easier, although they still don't like, it and of course both of them have nails that grow really fast, so I have to do them every week... So believe me, I get this! :lol

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

That so great about being able to dremel her nails. But sweet Blossom allowing you to love on her - uh - that really made me smile. You've helped her come such a long way!!!!! That's so wonderful. blush.gif

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

Guest TeddysMom

That so great about being able to dremel her nails. But sweet Blossom allowing you to love on her - uh - that really made me smile. You've helped her come such a long way!!!!! That's so wonderful. blush.gif

She really has come a long way and it makes me happy too. She still will scurry away if I walk toward her but she just goes into the bedroom and gets on her bed then she is fine with me loving on her. If I quit petting her now she will move closer to me. What I really love is that now when I leave and come back she wags her tail and is right in with the others wanting attention. :wub: I just love her to pieces.