Raw Feeding

Guest BradyzMommy

Guest BradyzMommy

I know of a dog (saw her for the first time just recently) who has no muscle left in her face or skull. Her head looks like a skull with skin and fur. It is said to be from her strict raw diet.

I know absolutely nothing about raw diets and was wondering how those of you who feed raw make sure you are feeding all the necessary nutrients.

As I stated, I know nothing about the raw diet so those of you wanting a confrontation, please stifle your need to get defensive or start a fight. I'm simply looking for information here.

Edited by BradyzMommy

Said to be from her raw diet by whom? And what does strict mean in this situation?

I make sure my dog gets all of the necessary nutrients by feeding a balanced diet over time, which includes a sufficient amount of meat, bone, and organ from various animals. When I decided to switch from BARF to prey model, I did a lot of research into which foods contain which nutrients (including making a spreadsheet) until I satisfied myself that all of the nutrients they needed were available in meat, bone and/or organ (which was only confirming what rationally makes sense given a wild canid diet). I don't use any supplements although I did supplement with fish oil until I switched to non-CAFO meat and I am considering adding it back into Zuri's diet to be safe since I've read so much on its ability to prevent cancer (he would already be back on it but he doesn't like the Grizzly salmon oil I got for Neyla).

For me, the assurance that I am being successful comes from the health of my animals.

To be honest, I don't believe it's all that difficult to feed a raw diet properly if you do the research and while the dog you speak of may very well be missing crucial nutrients due to her diet, it would be b/c the owner isn't doing it properly (or there is some other compounding issue). I'm assuming you've already at least considered that given your post. :)

I do find your last statement about avoiding confrontation somewhat confrontational, but I'll let that slide. ;)

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Swifthounds

Said to be from her raw diet by whom? And what does strict mean in this situation?

I make sure my dog gets all of the necessary nutrients by feeding a balanced diet over time, which includes a sufficient amount of meat, bone, and organ from various animals. When I decided to switch from BARF to prey model, I did a lot of research into which foods contain which nutrients (including making a spreadsheet) until I satisfied myself that all of the nutrients they needed were available in meat, bone and/or organ (which was only confirming what rationally makes sense given a wild canid diet). I don't use any supplements although I did supplement with fish oil until I switched to non-CAFO meat and I am considering adding it back into Zuri's diet to be safe since I've read so much on its ability to prevent cancer (he would already be back on it but he doesn't like the Grizzly salmon oil I got for Neyla).

For me, the assurance that I am being successful comes from the health of my animals.

To be honest, I don't believe it's all that difficult to feed a raw diet properly if you do the research and while the dog you speak of may very well be missing crucial nutrients due to her diet, it would be b/c the owner isn't doing it properly (or there is some other compounding issue). I'm assuming you've already at least considered that given your post. :)

I do find your last statement about avoiding confrontation somewhat confrontational, but I'll let that slide. ;)

:nod What she said.

Unless she had a grossly unbalanced diet or acquired some bizarre disease (which I've never heard of), can't see how her condition could be diet-related. Note that I'm not a huge fan of most types of raw feeding and I argue with these guys all the time :lol .

More likely to be the result of a hormonal imbalance or malabsorption syndrome involving calcium/phosphorus. I hope pup is under veterinary care?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know of a dog (saw her for the first time just recently) who has no muscle left in her face or skull. Her head looks like a skull with skin and fur. It is said to be from her strict raw diet.

Why do you say that it's due to her diet?

I feed my two dogs raw, have been for almost 6 years now and they are doing wonderfully on it. As NeylasMom said, the key is to feed a variety of meat, bone, and organs in certain proportions with fish oil to supplement for Omega 3's. The dog owner you are describing is either doing something very, very wrong in how she's feeding, or the dog has an illness that needs to be diagnosed.

Note that I'm not a huge fan of most types of raw feeding and I argue with these guys all the time :lol .

:lol She speaks the truth.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest BradyzMommy

Note that I'm not a huge fan of most types of raw feeding and I argue with these guys all the time :lol .

:lol She speaks the truth.

and yet questioned why I asked that there be no arguing? there is no right way to ask a question here anymore. a simple disclaimer is a confrontation? nevermind. i will ask the mods to close this thread. forget i even asked. its a shame that every simple question has to end out like this. if i were new here, i would too scared to post most of my questions. give me an effin' break with this crap!

I've already reported myself so that no one else has to.

Edited by BradyzMommy

I don't know that much about raw feeding but in looking into home cooked food for Poodle I think being able to do either is beyond my ability as far as including vitamins minerals etc.

There are many types of raw feeding from those that do research and do it to the Nth degree to those that toss their dogs chicken thighs and consider it raw feeding.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

and yet questioned why I asked that there be no arguing? there is no right way to ask a question here anymore. a simple disclaimer is a confrontation? nevermind. i will ask the mods to close this thread. forget i even asked. its a shame that every simple question has to end out like this. if i were new here, i would too scared to post most of my questions. give me an effin' break with this crap!

MOST people on GT know the rules. Everybody should, but I'm pretty sure not everybody actually read the TOS when they joined.

So having a member, not a moderator, say "no fighting" is going to annoy some people and make them instantly defensive. It's like giving people rules of how they are allowed to respond to your thread and that really doesn't go over well with adults.