Good Moisturizer?

Guest NJgrey

Guest NJgrey

Ellie has a pretty big scar on her lower back, near her hip bones. Never measured it exactly but I'd guess it's about 4" long and 2" wide. It's always been a bit flaky, but lately it's been especially dry, flaky and cracking, and the other day I noticed it's even bled in one small area. I know it can't be comfortable for her, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a topical moisturizer to put on it. She already gets grizzly salmon oil with her food and her coat and skin are good otherwise. It's just this one area.

Will post a pic later today to show what it looks like.

Thanks!

Guest scfilby

We got turned on to bag balm here by GTers. You can buy it off the shelf at Walgreens. We use it on the pups, and on the humans..

Guest NJgrey

Was mildly surprised to find bag balm at the walgreen's in times square, but there it was. Will try it out on Ellie's scar tonight. Thanks for the replies!

original BAG BALM- in the GREEN TIN

Ditto!

It's the real thing--there are imitation bag balms, but this stuff is actually meant for cow teats and it contains lanoline and a very mild antiseptic ingredient. Great stuff, and it won't hurt your hound if he/she licks it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BooandCalisMom

We also use Bag Balm in the green tin. Aquaphor baby is also very good - very thick and gentle enough to use on my one year old skin kid and my furbabies

Guest NJgrey

Well, one application of bag balm and her scar looks 100x better. No cracking or flaking. Going to continue to apply daily during these hot months when she's getting a good amount of sun.