Not Eating Following Surgery.

Guest Fasave

Guest Fasave

As many of you have read (and thanks for all the encouragement), Avalanche had several different surgeries yesterday basically in his mouth & throat. He came home last night and we had a very peaceful night. He's peeing and even pooped. He's also drinking water and showing no signs of distress. The only thing is that he hasn't eaten since Tuesday night. I have managed to get him to drink some chicken broth. I've offered ground burger, eggs, canned food, yogurt (plain and frozen) but he walks away. This is also problematic because he is on Tramadol & Clavamox and he's not letting me near his mouth and without eating, I can't hide it in food if he won't eat. I have managed to make a "slurry" and use a syringe to get the meds in his mouth but it's not likely he's getting everything.

He does have an appointment in the morning to remove the drain from his neck. I'm thinking it's okay to keep offering food and if he's still not eating in the am, we can talk about it at our appointment. Does this sound reasonable or should I be more concerned?

My boys had dentals on Monday....Both ate that night - but then one vomited (vet says normal - just from anesthesia). Anyway, by next morning, the pain must have set in in his mouth and he would not eat anything. I even boiled soft pasta.....he would lick off the chicken broth and sour cream, but would not eat.....Later that night, I ground up a meatball and he finally broke down....and that was for just a dental....sounds like your baby had more invasive work......Can you call the vet? Maybe they can just ease your mind.....but I bet it's because the surgery was pretty extensive.....And...you do need to get the meds in....maybe they have a suggestion.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I wouldn't be too concerned yet, however missing the pain pills would bother me a bit.

The problem with forcing him to eat just to get his pills in him could very easily make him throw up and you don't want that

After Ekko's dental she didn't eat for 3 days and it had nothing to do with her mouth hurting her. She had a hard time with the anesthesia and took a few days to get back to normal.

Talk to the vet and see what they suggest

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest IrskasMom

ditto on talk to the Vet . I would not be to concerned . My Morty had Surgery and a Dental Tuesday and in the Evening I offered him Rice with Chicken and Water over it to make it easy to Eat. He did and yesterday ,Groundbeef with Rice and some Water and he ate it all. Of course small Amounts .

Guest Stripeyfan

You could also try warming the food a little so it smells really, really good. I hope your boy feels better soon!

Guest Fasave

I called. It's always hard to know whether you're over reacting or have a real concern. They said he is going to be very sore for these first 24-48 hours so absent of other symptoms, they're not concerned and they can further evaluate in the morning. Here's a picture of the stitches from the salivary gland removal but he also lost the two teeth in front where they removed the epulis so it's not all that surprising he's hesitating to eat. Thanks for the advice!

june20102008.jpg?t=1278610384

Guest Energy11

Yes, that looks SORE! I'd offer liquids only, even if you have to blend up something yummy, and go from there. I'd say it is the pain and maybe the anesthesia, causing this.

Poor baby! Sending lots of love and hugs!

Guest greymama002
:kiss2 to sweet Avalanche. He has been through a lot in a short time, and hopefully will soon be feeling much better and have his appetite back.

Ouch! That picture says a thousands words. No wonder he is not eating. As others have said, something liquid may be the only thing he can handle right now.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest happygrey

I called. It's always hard to know whether you're over reacting or have a real concern. They said he is going to be very sore for these first 24-48 hours so absent of other symptoms, they're not concerned and they can further evaluate in the morning. Here's a picture of the stitches from the salivary gland removal but he also lost the two teeth in front where they removed the epulis so it's not all that surprising he's hesitating to eat. Thanks for the advice!

june20102008.jpg?t=1278610384

Oh my gosh! Poor guy. I can see why he'd be reluctant to eat. I hope he's feeling much, much better soon. Best wishes from Tatam, Bentley and Phoebe!

Guest ScottH

Heal quickly Ave! I wouldn't feel like eating after something like that either. Hope he feels better and starts eating again soon.

Hope your sweet boy is starting to feel better today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Fasave

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and checking in. He's eating a little better so as long as we can see improvement, no matter how slow, I'm good.

I took him in today to have the drain removed and I was surprised to learn all his biopsy results were in. Everything removed from the mouth and neck came back benign. However, the small lumps removed from his leg are in fact re-growth of the previous soft tissue sarcoma that was removed two years ago so the cancer's back. The good news is that it is a low grade tumor and now two vets have said it's unlikely to kill him but it can become problematic at some point. Right now he just needs to heal. We've got some time to decide next steps with his leg. Now if we can keep him away from all the stitches for the next 12 days, we will be good. He's already gone after the leg and has decided to rub his neck stitches on the furniture. I'm thinking the only real solution is going to be to stare at him for the next 12 days.:lol

I'm glad half the news was good at least! Hopefully you'll be able to manage the leg bumps so he isn't bothered. Thank goodness he's so handsome -- should make staring relatively easy :lol .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ouch, that looks sore. I wouldn't eat well either. Glad you got mostly good news. Hope he heals quickly.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee