Please Help

Guest Latch

Guest Latch

Hi everyone,

My greyhound is 6 years old. Last night and this morning he has been having some very strage symptoms. He will lay down and start shaking very badly and breathing really hard. He is alert with his head up (so no like a seizure), but like he is very, very nervous. I thought this may have been from the fireworks last night, but this morning, he would only eat half his breakfast and is doing the shaking again. He won't get up from the floor in the bathroom either. His gums are pink and look healthy. He's not whining in pain or anything either. I just have no idea because this is completely not like him. He is usually very friendly, outgoing, and doesn''t scare easily. I'm just trying to decide if this needs a trip to the e-vert or not?? I hate to take him in and they charge me a bunch and can't tell me what's wrong. Anyone have any similar experiences?? We've had him for 3 years and he's never acted like this! :( Im so worried.

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about this!

Could still be a seizure. Dogs and people can have what are called "focal" seizures, where just certain parts of their bodies react and shake. Could also be pain. Panting and shaking indicate pain as well.

I know it is a holiday weekend and all, but if this were my dog, I'd see the Evet. Good Luck!

Sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers, too!

If he's never reacted to fireworks before and you're really concerned, I see a vet. Some dogs react to pain differently and won't whine but will shake and pant.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Please write down exactly what is happening for your vet. Even better, video him during one of these spells. :grouphug

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Please write down exactly what is happening for your vet. Even better, video him during one of these spells. grouphug.gif

EXCELLENT idea, Ducky ... getting a video of these episodes!

Guest Latch

Thanks guys! He seems to have calmed down now...I spoke to the e-vet and he said to keep an eye on him, but most likely he is just really freaked out from all the fireworks last night and he should be ok. I just hate it because he's not his usual happy go lucky self :( The e-vet said I could come in, but likely what he would do is just give him some medicine to calm him down. Im still planning to make an appt. for him this week though. Thanks again!!

If you can get him up, palpate him from head to toe. Notice if his expression changes or if he reacts in any way to what you are doing. Reach up into his tuck and press gently on his stomach area. Get him to lie down and move limbs and toes gently. If you get a reaction to any of this, then you might have the source of your problem.

Also, check his urine to see how it looks; check poop too.

When you got him up, could he stand? Did he wobble, circle or lean to one side, have a head tilt? Are the eyes making funny movements? How are his gums, pink, red, white, yellowish?

I'd also make sure he stays inside as much today as possible, both for temperature and to avoid more fireworks.

Hope it's just anxiety. If that's all it is, you might want to ask your vet about Benedryl for the day. A nice little nap on a hot and noisy 4th wouldn't be a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

It's always worth being vigilant, but some dogs are so freaked out by fireworks that it affects them for days. Renie would start to pant and tremble every night when it got dark for days after fireworks had finished here. We get them in November for Guy Fawkes day/bonfire night, so the dusk would come quite early. She'd often be off her food during that time too, and unwilling to go out after dark for a walk or to pee.

Hoping that's all it is! :goodluck

Edited for clarity!

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Latch

Thanks again everyone. Latch seems to be doing much better. He hasn't had any more shaking or panting today and he ate his dinner. I just had no idea that he would be affected that much from the loud noises. Hopefully it doesn't happen anymore - he will see the vet later this week to make sure though!

Please write down exactly what is happening for your vet. Even better, video him during one of these spells. grouphug.gif

EXCELLENT idea, Ducky ... getting a video of these episodes!

Back in the late 80s I videotaped Tabba exhibiting some very dramatic seizure-like events. With the video of an event we were able to tell that she had a heart problem, not epilepsy. It was a big deal b/c we'd been treating her for epilepsy instead of heart disease (racing heart sometimes, up to 180 BPM!). Of course her heart was always perfectly normal when she was at the vet's. :headwall She was A-OK once she was on the correct meds. :)