Hurley's Got Something

I am not quite sure what to do with Hurley. He is yelping with pain upon sitting down, then he pretends to need to lick his butt but stops. I can touch his back end with no reaction but if I lift the tail, he winces noisily. I got enough of a look at his bumhole to see that nothing is terribly wrong but I have no idea how to find out what is painful. It could be a sliver or a pimple or some awful thing that is making his inner rectum hurt. But he is panting now from having me follow him around to inspect him and he won't sit down or lie down. He refused his treat because of this.

My drama boy. Maybe he has to poop but the beef riblet bone is ready to come out undigested. Actually, I wonder if this could be the issue. I decided to trr a little package of beef riblets and maybe they were too hard to chew so he swallowed it whole. If this is the problem, how in the world do I get him to poop?

He is now upstairs so I put the a/c on for his comfort but I can still hear him crying. I'll go see if he can sit yet.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest BooBooMama

If he is in that much pain it could be blockage. I am not a vet but intestinal blockage is very serious. I think he needs a vet ASAP.

I've felt every part of his tail but the only thing that elicits a response is lifting it so it could be sprained somehow?

I called my husband at work and he said to hose him down and see if he poops but I didn't have a chance to say lifting his tail hurts him, I just wanted him to give me an opinion about rushing him to the e-vet. I really don't want to have to go there, especially if it's just a sprain or something I would overreact about.

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Guest koolaidnconner

We just had a dog at the clinic I work at last week with a rib bone stuck in his rectum. He had to be sedated and the vet had ti remove it...Get to the vet. This can be very dangerous!

Edited by koolaidnconner

Something is obviously hurting him. I'de get him to the vet

ETA: Why does your DH want you to hose him down?

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Samantha

I've felt every part of his tail but the only thing that elicits a response is lifting it so it could be sprained somehow?

I called my husband at work and he said to hose him down and see if he poops but I didn't have a chance to say lifting his tail hurts him, I just wanted him to give me an opinion about rushing him to the e-vet. I really don't want to have to go there, especially if it's just a sprain or something I would overreact about.

They can hurt their tails yes, but if you cant specifically say its his tail I would be inclined to take him to the vet. If its a obstruction it could be serious.

Good luck xx

I too would opt for the vet ASAP.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest BooBooMama

I HATE this waiting to find out if he is OK! I sent Johanna an email but it looks as if she has logged off. Deeni wants her evening walk so I must dash. Here is hoping we hear an update on Hurley soon.

candle.gifhope.gifcandle.gif Me, three.candle.gifhope.gifcandle.gif

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We went to the vet. It does not appear to be an obstruction (which I really did not think it was) but he has hurt his tail somehow. One of the tail vertebra nearest his body has dislocated (luxated is what she said and I had to look it up just now....it means dislocated...she DID draw me a picture though) and is causing the pain. Nerve damage is still a possibility, so is surgery to correct. But he is home. They used a tiny bit of anesthesia to get the xrays so she said he would be acting drunk. To prove her right, I have not been able to get him out of the car, which is in the garage. So I have the door between the house and garage open and blocked the other 2 from going out there and am listening from about 5 feet away. Jim gets home in about an hour. He will need e-collar when alone and leash pottying, no running, jumping.

Tramadol and Rimadyl for the pain. Reassess Monday or Tuesday. We are supposed to do a parade on Monday, I'm not going to count on that happening for him.

Jim said to hose because all I was able to tell him when I spoke to him is that he can't sit and hasn't pooped and I guess he thought that would cool him down and make him poop? Who knows.

I walked him for a bit before going there: he was trying to produce a poop but only got liquidy spray out so i was quite afraid he could be blocked up.

BTW, I had read that 4th of July weekend is THE busiest e-vet weekend and I was there for over 3 hours but he did get anesthesia and bloodwork so they take time anyway. But Several clients seemed to come and go while I remained! Good thing I had no plans for the evening.

Now I just hope he doesn't have any more trouble. I don't think he's going to want to eat tonight but the Rimadyl should be given with food so ??....wake up, dear snoozy Hurley!

Siggy4.jpg

Guest BooBooMama

I am so pleased to hear that it was not an obstruction. Poor boy must be in so much pain. These long tailed dogs seem to have so many tail injuries. As long as he is asleep he will feel no pain so don't worry too much about the pain meds at this time. Good thing you got him checked out. He is lucky to have a good mom!

I'm very glad to hear you got to the bottom of it, so to speak.rolleyes.gif But back to the not pooping, why is it a problem and why does your husband want to hose? (I do think, from watching them poop, that they raise and strain the tail slightly in order to lift it out of the way. Maybe the pain was keeping him from doing that, and now maybe the anesthesia residual is. Just a thought.) Still curious to hear about your husband's thinking, though.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad it wasn't an obstruction. So he needs surgery on his tail or can it resolve on its own? I can imagine it must hurt to poop because he has to move that long whip out of the way in order to take care of business. Sending healing thoughts to Hurley and his tail.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Just took him out for a short potty. He squatted as if to poop once but Jim didn't notice and he kept walking so it didn't happen.

I asked Jim why he wanted me to hose him and he thought he could have been too hot to relax and poop.

I hope he doesn't need surgery....he just had a major e-vet visit in Nov., it's too soon for him to have something else! I think nerve damage could lead to paralysis. Before the xrays, the vet said amputation is worst-case scenario but with the drugs, he was able to lift it without crying out so she said that was a good sign.

He does seem to stick his tail out funny now (she said it's kinked)....she did not mention if she moved it back into position so I don't think she did. The pain relievers are supposed to do the magical work of solving the problem but we think it will still be out of position.

At some point, his tail must have got stepped on by one of the other two, we think. I did not see anything happen but at least I was home and he wasn't pained for many hours before we got home.

Boy, my topic title is pretty nasty....I meant he has a bug up his butt about SOMETHING and I just didn't know WHAT!!! My attempt at humor has backfired. Good night, and thanks for all the concern...it was nice to rush to the vet and NOT think you are the only person that would not wait until Monday!

Siggy4.jpg

So glad you both went to the vet. Poor guy was hurting and that alone needed to be addressed. Good for you for getting him there!

As for the Rimadyl, it should be given with food. Many of mine have been on it with no stomach upset at all, but a lot of dogs don't tollerate it as well. Hopefully he's back to eating.

Keep us posted if you will how he's doing.

And Wayne wants him to know that losing a tail if that becomes necessary, is no big deal. It's like scars, the girls love it wink.gif

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless