Hurley's Got Something

It's like the good, the bad and the ugly. But I'll concentrate on the good with a thank goodness it wasn't an obstruction! Wonder why the Vet didn't try to gently coax the dislocated segment back into place? Could it pop back into place on its own? Will continue to pray for everything to come out in the end. lol.gif Sorry. Another failed attempt at humor. Poor Hurley. Can't imagine the pain while "assuming the position"! Hope you feel better big guy!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Hope your poor boy is feeling better soon.

IIRC, bloodwork should be done to determine if the Rimadyl or other NSAID is having an advers effect on the dog's organs. NSAID-savvy folks: how long can a pup be on Rimadyl without bloodwork, and how long do you have to wait to do bloodwork if the pup is on it long term?

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Energy11

Glad you went to the vet too. Without the medications, it would have been even harder to for him to poop and relax. I'd give the meds time to work, and go from there.

Sending you all a big HUG!

Guest mountain4greys

Another vote for being glad you went to the vet. I'm glad he wasn't obstructed, but I do feel bad for his tail pain. Please keep us updated!

Hope your poor boy is feeling better soon.

IIRC, bloodwork should be done to determine if the Rimadyl or other NSAID is having an advers effect on the dog's organs. NSAID-savvy folks: how long can a pup be on Rimadyl without bloodwork, and how long do you have to wait to do bloodwork if the pup is on it long term?

Usually, an NSAID can be given for pain without blood work if it's just very short term(7 days) but of course that's with a vet who knows the dog's history.

Many of mine have been on Rimadyl and blood work is done every 6 months and results are in the next morning

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Poor Baby... We are happy you went to the vet too.. We will pray for a quick recovery and no surgery needed! :hope:kiss2

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

oh your poor Hurley!!! :( :( :( :(

I hope he is doing better this morning!!!!

sending hugs from Rainey and Nubers :):hope:bighug:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

We had a pretty uneventful night...woke up about 2 hours ago since we all slept in. He did poo at 4 am in the backyard and at 11am in the backyard, it's not even diarrhea yet. He doesn't poop in the front yard. I think we will be staying home today instead of joining Jim's family for a cookout and fireworks (it's my MIL's birthday, too :( ).

He has not cried out in pain since returning home!! He has been picky about where to lie down though and we finally found a bed he liked that I put next to the couch, where I slept, so I could watch him. He is really spread out now, looking completely relaxed. It's time for his Tramadol though, so I'll have to disturb him.

The vet did bloodwork prior to prescribing the meds: she was the SAME E-vet who was his primary for his bloat/gastropexy in November so I know she cares about giving him the right drugs....he was really depressed on the Fentanyl patch, for example. She is pretty nice but all the vets there suggest extreme measures first and then back down upon seeing the reactions of the owners. I've heard that from other people and heard clients talking amongst themselves in the waiting room, too. I hope I don't go to unnecessary extremes. X-rays made sense, as did giving mild anesthetic to facilitate that and she was able to do the full rectal exam with that in play. Without my husband, it's hard to make the decisions, although he tends to tell me to make the final decision even when we are together so I feel a little better about that.

Finally, he ate pretty well last night....I gave him 3/4 of his normal amount of kibble and he threw up 2 tiny pieces afterward because he had been drinking so much water...so it was just water and the 2 kibbles. He has been extremely thirsty so I have been letting the bowls gets emptied and refilling after a short wait. He has not been peeing extra.

Time to remedicate my patient!! Have a good 4th for you fellow Americans and a good weekend to the rest of you!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

What a scary thing to happen. Glad he seems to be feeling better today.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gosh, poor Hurley! His tale (sorry!) does have similarities to Sid's, but I don't think it's his tail hurting Sid. And he certainly does have 'butt' issues!

Sounds like he's been through the wars, one way or another. I hope he feels better soon! Scritches to Hurley!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Just an update (we were offline for a few days since our router died after a fuse blew):

The regular vet said to keep giving the Rimadyl until it's gone (so we have Tramadol in the house now with no expiration date) and monitor his activity for a week to 10 days. He has been very good. The tail still is in pain if he gets bumped by another hound but he is recovering well. We have not resorted to the e-collar since he has not been chewing at it. He chews the Rimadyl when they are served with sardines and soaked in the juice! He is pooping fine.

Our regular vet seemed amused since he has never heard of a dislocated tail....Hurley told him it's very real...and they hugged it out. He said not to worry about nerve damage, that could be an issue with a fracture but this is much milder and less likely to pinch a nerve.

:colgate:colgate

Here he is, taken a few minutes ago:

d727e70d2ccd.jpg

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

So he's got his tail out of joint :P Poor little guy...get better soon :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Happy to hear the poor baby is improving! :wub:

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter