Help! I Think Dawn Was Stung By Something

We came in from our walk and she ate her snacks as always. She laid down on the floor and her back leg started shaking. She licked and licked it. She couldn't stand up with it either. She is now moving around but her panting has not ceased at all! I am so worried. I put an ice pack on her back leg because the only thing I could think of was that she had gotten stung by a bee outside.

What can I give her? We live in a small town and there are no e-vets in the area. With it being the 4th of July weekend, I doubt I could get hold of my vet.

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME ADVICE. :dunno

If you were sure she was stung, you could give her Benadryl, dose based on her weight.

But, if you're not sure I would call your vet and hopefully are able to reach him/her. Or, call your e-vet

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I agree with the above.

That doesn't really sound like a sting to me. If it's a sting, I think the pain should resolve somewhat relatively quickly. If she has a reaction, you would see swelling, in which case I think you could feel comfortable giving the Benadryl. Otherwise, try to reach a vet?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest Energy11

No... really doesn't sound like a sting to me either. Is there redness or swelling? If not, it could be many things. You can try (2) 50 mg Benedryl to start. Also, if you have any Rimadyl or Deramaxx for her in the house, you could give 1/2 to see if the shaking is from pain.

I KNOW ... these things always happen on holiday weekends. Ice is a good idea, too. Good Luck and keep us posted. p.s. usually, panting indicates pain.

Edited by Energy11

Depending on where you live, think snakes and spiders too.

One of mine once got a tiny little grass seed in her foot - darn things work in like barbs. A Gread Dane got a 1" sliver of wood from the forest that X-rays couldn't find. Even stinging nettles can get past a thin skinned dog.

Can't you just phone an E vet and describe it?

Give her something to drink in case she got overheated from the walk. Go out with her and check her pee. Is it a normal color? If not, it may be heat-related, which is an e-vet NOW situation.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I hope by this time you have a better idea of what could have happened to cause those symptoms. If you have a Drama Queen like my Fuzz, everything is quite, well, over-the top.rolleyes.gif If she's still exhibiting symptoms, I would get in some really good light out side or use a flashlight and magnifying glass inside and examine the area for any redness or evidence of bite marks. If you don't see anything and she's still shaking, the symptoms may need to be checked out by a Vet. I know.............holiday weekend..............why does it have to happen on a holiday weekend?

Here's a link to an E-Vet near you. http://www.nives24h.com/ or West Central Ohio Veterinary Emergency Service 2727 Saint Johns Road, Lima, OH 45804-4028(419) 221-0269‎.

Hope that helps. Please let us know how she's doing.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Me, too! Hoping she's ok.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Well, this was a scarey event! I still have no idea what happened to her. She was fine about an hour after all of the symptoms started. I guess what I was really afraid of was that she had a stroke. Would that only affect one leg? I put an ice pack on her foot and she settled down. She let me keep it on for about 15 minutes and she had enough. She left me, she always wants me when something is wrong, and laid down on her bed. She walked to her bed in the front of the living room and went to sleep. She is her normal self. I don't know what to think but she surely scared me half to death!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I have a 15 - 20 page paper due on Friday and I only have 6 pages done!

Guest Energy11

Could have been a muscle crap, too. Could have been anything. Glad she is doing well now :-)

Good Luck with that paper! smile.gif

My DH thought it could have been a cramp too. I don't know what it was but I am sure glad that she is fine now. She is only 9. She still owes me 6 more good years, I HOPE!

I don't mean that monetarily! I just want to keep her around as long as I can. She is our little Alpha dog. I don't know what the boys would do without her. They wouldn't know how far we needed to go on our walkies without her. :lol

Edited by Dawnnziggy

Guest mountain4greys

I'm happy she's back to her normal self. Unexplained things like this always worry me, especially when you don't know what the outcome will be. Maybe it was just a muscle cramp, as long as she's ok, that's what counts.

Glad to hear she's back to being her old self!colgate.gif