Hot Dog

Guest Duke

How lethargic is your greyhound in the hot weather? Duke sleeps non-stop, he is inside with ac and goes out for a minimal walk. Is this normal? I am on Long Island with temps up to 90s today.

Guest Jubilee251

Molly is definitely lazier in the mornings and has less energy with the heat. Anything beyond two blocks, and it's like dragging a pony behind me. If we step foot in grass, she immediately flops down because it's cooler. :P

On the hottest days, mine barely move.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's been in the high nineties here, above 90 for a few weeks now, they don't want to go outside, we don't go for walks in this heat, just a quick dash in the yard. Even then, I have to push them out the door, and they head for the woods into the shade, at playgroup I catch them after a few runs up and down the fence, they would run more there if I let them though. But otherwise, indoors, on the dog beds, under the ceiling fan :) Bought a little pool today, but they didn't know what to do with it...sigh.....

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest TeddysMom

Not just the GH's, none of my dogs wants to do much except lay around. When they do go out, they get their business done, find the shade and lay in the grass for a few minutes before heading back to the AC. I can't blame them, I feel the same way. :rolleyes:

Ok, just making sure. Although I forgot to add, he isn't dumb; if I take him out, he wont go to the right or the left for his usual walks. However, he will walk to the car, as he prefers to be driven to the park to do his business. He loves car rides.

Guest Energy11

SLEEPING MORE???????????????? That is ALL Mine do!

We are supposed .... (*I will believe it when I see it ... have a cool down this week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

God, it will be NICE to be able to WALK MY DOGS!! Nope...being more sleepy is part of this HEck... we call SUMMER! angryfire.gif

Totally normal.

Try moving walks and activities to earlier in the day before it gets too hot. If possible.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest tinams8

Anything beyond two blocks, and it's like dragging a pony behind me.

:rofl I took Lucy for her first leash walk this morning and that is exactly what it felt like after about 6 houses! And it was only 6:30 am!

Lucy's from Phoenix, yet she is hating the heat here in New England. She gives me this look, "but it's a DRY heat!" :lol

Guest Fluffy

I have been surprised to find that Badger (who raced in Alabama) is totally fine with the heat. Far, far more "fine" with it than I am. When I get home from work and it's 90 degrees out, I just want to turn the air conditioner on high and sit still. He, however, keeps bouncing around and begging to play, then tugging me toward the front door and toward the stairs that lead to the street if I take him outside - he wants to walk, and he wants it bad! Whereas I am like "I've been sweating enough already today, thanks. Can we compromise and just go to the top of the driveway?"

I've been savoring having an air conditioner (just got it this weekend, before which my apartment was hovering at about 80-83 degrees) and I've been keeping the temp a wonderfully pleasant 72-74 inside. His Majesty, however, keeps giving me dirty looks and covering his nose with his paws, presumably because he thinks its too cold. I think I might have to get this guy some pajamas! Because apparently he isn't clear on the fact that he can use his four layers of blankets for warmth and not just to exercising his digging skills. :youcrazy

Guest Samantha

We don't usually get hot weather here in the UK, but for the past 2 weeks we have been having a "heat wave". I have been unable to coax Maddison out unless its to potty (and even then she is reluctant) she prefers being on the sofa near the window with the breeze blowing in, and i mean she does this for hourssssssssssssss at a time. She is also off her food alittle, which i think is the heat, as my son is exactly the same.

Guest Stripeyfan

Yep, it's been ridiculously hot here in the UK... and humid where we are too! Right now I have a hound who's zonked out in front of an open window with a fan on him. He'll happily stay like that for HOURS. I have to bribe him to get him to go out to potty!

Guest jaws4evr

Twix does fine in the heat as long as she doesnt have to move in it... I can't take her for walks if it's more than 20-25C, or she doesn't cool down properly. Luckily the kiddie-pool keeps her happy during the days when she wants out, but it's too hot to walk :)

INterestingly we have a Pitty mix who's a superstar at heat... and cold, he's a tough tough guy, Twix will be panting up a storm and needing to stop, and the Pitty could walk forever regardless of heat.

Guest NJgrey

I think Ellie is sleeping a bit more than normal, but she seems relatively OK with the heat. She walks just fine in the morning without protest. When we get home in the evening she does her crazy-girl zoomies inside for a few minutes like normal so she still has some energy. I do notice that she doesn't like to sit on the balcony with us in the evenings, presumably because it's too hot out. She prefers to lay right on the couch next to the balcony door, still inside with the AC. And if I come home and walk her at lunch she doesn't even want to pee. She lays right down on the grass to resume the nap that I rudely interrupted, apparently :) And drinking more water than she had been, but I suppose that's normal too.

Guest FreddyGirl

Also on LI. My dogs always want to go out, regardless of the heat. HOWEVWR, once out there, will lay on the deck like the living dead, or potty and immediatley come to the door to be let in. WIth walks, they are always up for it, even if too hot. When it gets over 85 and humid, I don't walk them.

I can only dream that George was EVER "lethargic."

Nothing slows him down, from 20 below zero to 95. Although his tongue does drag on the ground when it's hot!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

My Diana, and the foster, both raised in warm climates, have apparently adapted to PA weather - meaning - when the temp hits 90 - they LOVE the air conditioning indoors. Mornings and evenigs are big outside time - the have NO INTEREST in being outside in the heat of the day for very long.

On the flip side - winter is the same thing. When it's 15 degrees ouside - it's "do your business and get back in".

It doesn't get really hot here very often - or for very long. Last weekend it was 90 degrees and muggy - today it was nice, and tonight it's 40 degrees. We don't get "HOT" very much. The dogs - like me - don't like HOT or COLD. :)