Keeping Grey Off The Bed?

Guest Jeffbucc

Guest Jeffbucc

I recently adopted a new Greyhound a couple days ago named Hobbes.

4715252341_b2cb50333c_b.jpg

He is a really quiet grey but loves his walks, haven't heard him bark at all, and he still doesn't know what a toy is even though he is 5 years old.

I noticed lately that he really really really wants to be on my bed. While I normally don't have a problem with that, I am a light sleeper and he tends to kick and quiver in his sleep. I set up an old memory foam mattress topper to the side of my bed with his dog bed cushion on top of that and then a blanket on that to make it as comfy as possible yet he still does not want to sleep on it. I catch him about to get on my bed and tell him sternly no and then pat his bed next to mine and give him a treat when he reluctantly lays down on it. Yet when I look away or leave the room for a while he sneakily gets back on mine!

Any advice on how to get this to stick?

Here are some more pictures of the guy.

4715253369_eef4199751_b.jpg

4713681904_7c6d28c8b2_b.jpg

Guest Samantha

No advice sorry :rolleyes:

They don't usually bark a lot, but you will eventually hear him when he wants something :lol: and as for the toys, well they arent ever given any in kennels as they will fight, but they do eventually "get" they can play with them, then its hide the shoes and anything else that could possibly be a toy :lol:

Extremely handsome boy :wub: looks like he is settled well in his roaching picture!

Good luck with the bed :lol:

ETA Maddison hasn't mastered stairs yet, but when she does and she will :lol: she will most definately be a bed sleeper, probably on my sons as she loves to get on "her" sofa with him for cuddles :)

Edited by Samantha

Patience and consistency. If you don't want him on the bed then he needs to get off everytime you catch him. Either lure him off with a treat or snap his leash on - don't grab him by the collar as that could cause him to snap at you. I've taught all our dogs the command "off" and use it with all four from time to time. This could take quite a while to get the point across so you will need to eb in this for the long term.

He's likely never seen a toy before in his life and so won't know what to do with it. Give him some time to settle in and get used to things. He may become a toy dog and he may not - there's all kinds!

He's a really good looking greyhound! Congrats!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

He's adorable! (And welcome to GT!) No new advice, just try to always catch and correct him until he gets the message.

BTW, those photos are SO sharp! What camera are you using?

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Welcome to GT.

I don't have suggestions for keeping him off at night, but if he wakes you up when he gets up there, tell him no and back to his bed like you have been.

I keep my pillows spread on my bed when I'm not in it to keep Jet from hopping up there and snoozing. Any time I forget to put the pillows on the bed, she's up there snoozing away. You can also try some of the plastic carpet runners with the pokey nubs on the back - put that nub side up on the bed when you aren't in it.

Guest Jeffbucc

He's adorable! (And welcome to GT!) No new advice, just try to always catch and correct him until he gets the message.

BTW, those photos are SO sharp! What camera are you using?

Yeah I'll keep at it, I have been thinking about putting these wire grates from his crate(it isn't set up) across my bed when I leave so that he doesn't have the option.

I am using a Canon T1i, which is a great camera! I need a better lens though!

The real test of separation anxiety will be tomorrow when I go to work, hope all goes well, I left him for 2-3 hours today and nothing was wrecked or destroyed. He did give me kind of a nervous look when I came back and took a little bit for him to come up to me for a scratches ;)

Guest TeddysMom

No advise except keep doing what your already doing and maybe closing your bedroom door when your not home.

He is a handsome boy and I love the markings across his back.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Good luck with the bed issue.

My girl had very little interest in toys until one day I took her to visit a friend who has a very toy loving dog. Jayne watched the other dog playing with the toys and the idea clicked. She's played happily with toys ever since.

Guest sheila

I noticed lately that he really really really wants to be on my bed. While I normally don't have a problem with that, I am a light sleeper and he tends to kick and quiver in his sleep.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you want Hobbes to stay off the bed when you are in it, or stay off the bed all the time?

If it's the former than I would just be very firm with him when he climbs up there, use the VOG (voice of God) tone and be consistent about it and he will figure it out. If it is the latter then I would close the door to your bedroom anytime you are not there.

I had great success with just placing a large, flattened out cardboard box across the bed. Didn't want to put a baby gate on top for fear that their feet would get tangled up in it but the flattened box worked perfectly well for us. I did have to remember to use it though. :lol

Mom to BridgeGreys~~STORM 07/99-02/08/11, VICKI 12/15/00-01/12/11, BAY 02/00-10/25/10 and CASHEW 10/99-2/23/10

and cats ~~ IRISH, MUMBLES, MUFFIN, TJ, PUNKIN and Bridge cats SARAH (07/29/97-07/07/06) and BRIE (04/11/96-01/22/12)

a very lively Whippet, OLIVIA and JAKE, the Iggy

Guest Jeffbucc

I had great success with just placing a large, flattened out cardboard box across the bed. Didn't want to put a baby gate on top for fear that their feet would get tangled up in it but the flattened box worked perfectly well for us. I did have to remember to use it though. :lol

What I started doing, just grabbed a huge cardboard box from work and draped it across the bed. Doesn't help my willpower when he gives me the chagrined look equal to I just slapped him across the face!

He luckily slept all through the night with out me waking up to a snout draped across my chest drooling.:)