Mandy Has Hge

Guest greytexplorer

Guest greytexplorer

This past Friday must have been Friday the 13th somewhere, cuz it was a VERY BAD DAY at my house.

My house was a murder scene when I got up. And there were buckets of foamy vomit.

I called Stanley Steemer and DD2 called the vet's office.

I put Mandy in the car, and headed fastfastfast to the vet.

They put us in an exam room, and I turned around and went back to the car for the comforter for Mandy to lie down on. I opened the exam room door and screamed O $h!t. Another murder scene. Blood dripping down the walls, off the chair legs and exam table.

Vet came running, yelling directions to the vet techs. Bloodwork asap.

15 minutes later = it's HGE.

My vet transferred Mandy to the e-vet clinic, because I had to meet with the national folks for dinner, and then the annual board meeting on Saturday.

Sunday (this morning) I was able to bring Queen Mandy home. DickCheney and Ester wanted to go to evet, too, to see her. Mandy was very happy, and licked everyone at the clinic.

When we got home, I got a call from a transporter----they are in Bham and waiting for me!

Holy moly! 45 minutes early! How often does THAT happen? So I leave Mandy on her favorite couch, and go pick up this smokin white-hot pittie boy, and take him to Montgomery. I meet Catherine and give him to her; they are headed to Dothan for rescue.

His name is Jonah, but his name should be Smokey, he is so beautiful. He licked my makeup off! Oh, and he is deaf. And he tried to climb a tree at our potty break. :huh

Anyway, that's how MY weekend went. Started off terrible, ended up pretty sweet.

And I am SOOOOOOOOO grateful to my vet. I love her.

hug your hounds,

Pat

Edited by greytexplorer

Oh my gosh! HGE can be so bad sometimes. Emmy had a bout of it that lasted 3 days also. Hope all is going well now!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytexplorer

Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis

fatal if not treated immediately

I googled it, and was amazed at the number of people that "waited it out" and their dogs died. Chihuahuas, german shepherds, labs, etc.

My vet told me that they have no idea where this comes from, but they do know how to treat it successfully. Dr S also told me that it is "seasonal". She'd already treated 4 dogs in the last 2 weeks. She was pretty sure about the diagnosis, and then the bloodwork confirmed it.

They think it's bacterial in cause. It comes on suddeny with violent vomiting and explosive bloody diarrhea.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

WOWEE! You DID have some weekend!

You should be very proud of yourself for acting as fast, and doing what you did :-)) You probably saved Mandy's life! I love the part about calling Stanley Steamer, too!

Sending love and hugs to you and Mandy!

How is she doing today?

What a monstrous scare. Yeah, not the kind of thing you want to wait out. Good that you already knew that!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm glad she's better. How is it treated?

It's treated with IV antibiotics and nausea medications. It usually takes about 3 days to see a marked improvement. The danger is the dehydration, they're losing more fluids than they are taking in so fluid support along with the medications keep the hound from getting worse.

Emmy woke up with it one morning, threw up her breakfast and 2 hours later couldn't keep down water and had bloody diarrhea. We took her immediately to the vet and she was started on fluids and antibiotics. We were able to take her home 2 days later.

Just reading this. I know that Soul has been dealing with this for a few years too. Hoping that things stay stable for you all.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yow! That's quite the day. I hope Mandy is on the mend soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest SoulsMom

Just reading this. I know that Soul has been dealing with this for a few years too. Hoping that things stay stable for you all.

That he has . . . the only thing that keeps him from relapsing is the I/D diet. Anything else and he starts bleeding again. I keep flagyl on hand at all times. Hope Mandy is doing better. Relapses with HGE are common and, as you know, immediate medical attention is key.

Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis

fatal if not treated immediately

I googled it, and was amazed at the number of people that "waited it out" and their dogs died. Chihuahuas, german shepherds, labs, etc.

My vet told me that they have no idea where this comes from, but they do know how to treat it successfully. Dr S also told me that it is "seasonal". She'd already treated 4 dogs in the last 2 weeks. She was pretty sure about the diagnosis, and then the bloodwork confirmed it.

I don't know about that, Soul was hospitalized for it in November. HGE is also an exclusionary diagnosis, when the test don't really show anything wrong yet the symptoms are present and extreme