Cooling Bands

Is it OK to use those little cooling bands with the pellets in them around the dog's neck? If so, do you wet then and freeze them before using them? I used them when I p;ayed golf and they seemed to work about 2 minutes, but I do not know what the little pellets are made from.

It is okay but I find them useless. I used it on Enza and it was warm/unfrozen by the time we walked outside. I've been told that a frozen washcloth/bandanna works better but I haven't tried it yet on the dog. I did use it once when running and it lasted a LOT longer.

Guest DoofBert

We use them (the black pack ttracts heat) and have found them to be a help int eh car and on extremely hot days.

As always, montior the hounds to make sure no one decides to chew the coll collars.

Always used them in the desert. But don't put them in the freezer, that will ruin them.

Just soak them in water for about 15-20 minutes.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

The ones we have are awesome, a 10 minute soak and they stay cold for the day. We use them and the greys do too. I suspect the brand makes a difference.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

Guest Dragonmom

some one on here send me one for Winnie once and it was great for her. Sadly i lost it one day :( i found a place to buy more but they only had 2 :(

This is what I use at Meet & Greets when it's warm Frogg Toggs

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I prefer evaproative cooling. If you have ever put a cooling blanket or other such device on a dog, then slipped your hand under it, it's rather warm, meaning these things don't really do any good.

Instead, just use plain water, and soak him down, allowing the water to evaporate. it's the same principle as human sweat. Just make sure NOT to use cold water - that could cool too fast, and cause other problems. Use tepid to lukewarm water.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

If it's just a band around the neck, I guess it can't hurt. Not sure it would really help very much. Definitely don't use "cooling coat" type things...dangerous.