Inconclusive Tests - Help!

Guest Longdog

Guest Longdog

I am so worried about Cushtie. He is approx 11 yrs old and has been fit until just before Christmas. He is ticking every symptom box for Cushings disease. He had a benign testicular tumor which has now been removed. He is depressed, sleeping excessively (even for a couch potato) Balding tail and flanks, blackening and thinning of the skin. Easily bruised/grazed, long time to heal abrasions, drinking a lot more and peeing a lot more, heavy panting episodes, ravenous appetite (used to be a fussy eater) pot belly appearance, weakening of the hind quarters walking in a crouched position and collapsing after short exercise. He has had two sets of Cushings tests and my vet knows that greyhounds have a different metabolism to other dogs and the tests are inconclusive, my vet doesn't want to treat for Cushings in case it brings on Addisons disease. His kidneys are slightly under-performing but that could be age related. His thyroid tests are inconclusive, he is not diabetic. I am gradually changing him over to a barf diet, have had a reverse osmosis system fitted to mains water so he is drinking pure water now. An x-ray showed a bit of arthritis in lower back. He is on meloxidyl anti-inflammatory for his back. I would rather he was on a herbal treatment as I know the medication can worsen kidney function. Does anyone know if I can use Nobute(Devils claw) as well as the meloxidyl or should I reduce it first and change? Hs anyone had similar problems with their grey that can advise please? My vet wants to do another set of bloods over 2 days for thyroid testing etc but my poor boy gets so stressed out, I am at a loss to know what to do for the best :-( Any advice greatly received.

My Misty battled Cushings, and yes, GH's are different, however the Cortisol level is what it is, GH or not GH.

My experience with this disease with a GH is the drugs used to treat Cushings. At least with the Lysodren, GH's can not tollerate the recommended dose and you have to go slowly with it or they'll go into an Addisonian crisis.

Others here have battled Cushings with their GH's, Carol(Nevadasmom) was a huge help to me when Misty was dx.

If I can offer any help at all, please feel free to email me at cbudshome@aol.com.

Try not to panic, Cushings can be controlled and the sooner treatment is started the better. Also, try to remember that there is no pain associated with Cushings, that helped me to keep that in mind.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Longdog

My Misty battled Cushings, and yes, GH's are different, however the Cortisol level is what it is, GH or not GH.

My experience with this disease with a GH is the drugs used to treat Cushings. At least with the Lysodren, GH's can not tollerate the recommended dose and you have to go slowly with it or they'll go into an Addisonian crisis.

Others here have battled Cushings with their GH's, Carol(Nevadasmom) was a huge help to me when Misty was dx.

If I can offer any help at all, please feel free to email me at cbudshome@aol.com.

Try not to panic, Cushings can be controlled and the sooner treatment is started the better. Also, try to remember that there is no pain associated with Cushings, that helped me to keep that in mind.

Thank you so much for your reply. I am comforted a little to know that Cushings is not painful. I think perhaps I should get the other blood tests done then, as we have not had a definite diagnosis he is not on any meds for it. do you think a Barf diet is a good idea? I am giving him 3 or 4 small meals staggered throughout the day. Mainly because he is always begging for food but also to help his digestion. Thank you for the email address, I will let you know how we get on.

Good idea to get that ACTH test done as soon as possible. I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by a BARF diet.

ETA: I forgot to mention that Misty's thyroid was off and I asked my vet to put her on Soloxine but that was a mistake. The Cushings played havok with the thyroid which I should have known to expect,and once we got the Cushings under control, her thyroid levels went back to normal, so she didn't need the Soloxine, and as a result of my insisting she be put on it, she dropped quite a bit of weight. She did however, regain that weight.

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Longdog

Good idea to get that ACTH test done as soon as possible. I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by a BARF diet.

ETA: I forgot to mention that Misty's thyroid was off and I asked my vet to put her on Soloxine but that was a mistake. The Cushings played havok with the thyroid which I should have known to expect,and once we got the Cushings under control, her thyroid levels went back to normal, so she didn't need the Soloxine, and as a result of my insisting she be put on it, she dropped quite a bit of weight. She did however, regain that weight.

Guest Longdog

Thanks for the warnings with that. I will leave him a week to recover from the last trip to the vets and then book him in for acth's. The Barf diet is Bones And Raw Food - going away from kibble and tinned processed dog food. I am giving him raw chicken wings/backs/legs raw beef knuckle bones, minced up various veggies mixed with cooked or raw minced up good lean meat. If I dont get time to make up a batch our local petstore sell frozen packs which you just defrost and serve "Natures Menu" It's not cheap (£3.99 per 1kg) but there is no waste, he loves it. The theory is that evolving from wolves dogs have not been domesticated long enough for their digestive systems to have changed to accept the processed diet of grains/additives etc and should get all they need nutrionally from good raw meat to bone ratio together with anti-oxidants from veggies and fruit. I was really nervous when I first fed chicken as I had always believed they were a definite no no for dogs but it is only when they are cooked that they become splintery and dangerous. Cush is a greedy eater and he has had no problems so far.

Guest blackonyx

you can ask your doctor about tramadol for pain, which could then help decrease the amount of meloxydyl needed. I do give my greyhound a very small dose (less than they recommend) of deramaxx as needed for her pain and inflammation bouts. However, I also have her on Dasuquin which has a natural anti inflammatory in it, which you might want to consider. It works very well for her. The difficulty is the fact that your pup seems to need something daily at this point, and I agree with you in wanting to keep it to a minimum and most safest remedy for their system.

The only other thing I am now considering is acupuncture. Does anyone have any pros or cons to this? I actually am a vet tech and also reiki master. So, hopefully I am able to manage her issues a bit longer without extreme measures, but she definitely has some days where I think she is at her end, and then 2 days later she bounces up like a puppy out of nowhere!!! She kills me! :-D

I do have her on soloxine as well right now, and the question of cushings triggered my thoughts with the symptoms you all listed.

It is so difficult cause as similar as greyhounds are as a race, they are all still individuals.

Another thing to always make sure is updated on testing is tick borne diseases. I am not saying this is the case with your dog, but it was with mine when she was having her panting bouts, easily bruising issues, and lameness off and on. She tested positive for Anaplasma which was treated with doxycycline. The soloxine also brought her coat back to a nice thick lustrous coat, and well, until next time, she thankfully seems stable right now.

Absolutely need an ACTH stimulation test to get a diagnosis. Sooner the better. No pain with cushings, but they are miserable being so hungry & thirsty all the time. :(

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Just a word of caution: just because something is an herb, doesn't mean it's harmless. My vet suggested some Valerian Root for George, for anxiety. She had a friend who is a vet who was trying it. Well, his liver enzymes went through the roof after a few weeks on it! She was stunned--so we took him off, and within a few weeks they were back to normal!

Clearly there is something wrong with your boy. I'd get a second opinion since your vet doesn't really sound very sure of much.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Longdog

Just a word of caution: just because something is an herb, doesn't mean it's harmless. My vet suggested some Valerian Root for George, for anxiety. She had a friend who is a vet who was trying it. Well, his liver enzymes went through the roof after a few weeks on it! She was stunned--so we took him off, and within a few weeks they were back to normal!

Clearly there is something wrong with your boy. I'd get a second opinion since your vet doesn't really sound very sure of much.

Thanks for the warning, I am doing just that as I have just found out my vet has been signed off sick for 1 month - so forced to see another next week.

Guest Longdog

Thanks for the warning, I am doing just that as I have just found out my vet has been signed off sick for 1 month - so forced to see another next week.

Guest Longdog

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you who offered help and advice but tragically my dear dear beloved Cushtie passed away last night. My God what am I going to do without him. He had a very good day, usual routine, ate loads, napped loads and told off the cats in the garden but in the evening he vomited once, went out into the garden came back had a drink and settled back down and did a huge stretch - or so I thought ....and that was it. I tried everything heart massage etc but I think it was his time to go and the only saving grace is that I didn't have to make that awful decision myself. He was such a gentleman, intelligent and stupid, graceful and clumsy and my best friend and my workmate and like velcro stuck to my side all the while and I am sure you all know how much of huge gap he is going to leave in my life. At least I know for the 9 years since we rescued him, he has had a good life and all the love in the world. Now he is running with Cass (his kennel mate from the track who we lost 2 years ago). Goodnight Cass n' Cush, you will be in my heart forever.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.Godspeed, Cushtie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Godspeed Cushtie.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so very sorry.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I am so very sorry! Godspeed, Cushtie!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest Longdog

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts. At 53, this is the first time in my life I have been without a dog, I can't stand it and its only been 2 days. I don't know how soon is too soon but I can't wait until my next best friend(s) find me.

I'm so very sorry for your loss!

When and if you feel up to it, perhaps you'll start a thread in the Remembrance forum and tell us a bit about Cushtie. Many of us find it helps us heal to do this when we lose our beloved pets, especially since the good folks of Greytalk are uniquely qualified to understand the particular bond that happens with a greyhound.

In any case, take good care of yourself. :grouphug

Run free, Cushtie! :f_yellow

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Longdog

Thank you so muchsmile.gif, It really means a lot. I will post a new thread under everything else greyhound because I have some good news...........