Hookworms Won't Go Away - What Next?

Guest earlkattangrey

Guest earlkattangrey

I know there's a lot on here about hookworms, and I have done a lot of reading. But we have hit a wall...

I got Kattan Feb. 14. Here's a timeline of his parasitic troubles:

-March 1: pos. for hookworms - a '1' infestation on the scale of 1-5 (so that's low); 1st dose strongid

-March 15: 2nd dose strongid

-March 29: recheck fecal: pos. for hookworms, a '5' infestation (heavily infested); treat with drontal

-April 20: recheck fecal; NEG. for hookworms, positive for giardia. Treated accordingly.

-May 13: recheck fecal; neg. for giardia, POS. for hookworms (don't know number but vet does not think he's re-infecting himself); treat with three days of Panacur

-May 27: 2nd dose of three days of Panacur

So that was yesterday. Will recheck fecal on June 10. He has been on Iverhart Plus since getting his neg. heartworm test results March 1. He poops in a fenced yard. I pick up the poop as soon as he goes, but at time through this he has had soft stool or diarrhea and it's impossible to not contaminate the yard. My other dog has never has any internal parasites and was tested at one point during this to make sure.

During all this, he has totally bloomed. I put him on TOTW and Grizzly Oil. His coat looks amazing. He came to me 13lbs below his racing weight and really showing it - his weight is now PERFECT. He has plenty of energy. His poops look great, except sometimes a little mucus-y.

What happens next if he's STILL positive at the next fecal? What other treatment options are even left??

My understanding is that you need to do at least 3 rounds of Panacur, 3 days each, 3 weeks part, regardless of whether the fecals are negative or positive. Honestly, I might skip the next fecal, do the 3rd round of panacur and then do a fecal after that 3rd dose has had time to have an effect.

I also think you need to be very careful of keeping areas where he could recontaminate himself clean. You might consider leash walks only and no yard time if you have a yard until the larvae die, which could take a couple of months:

The good news is that unlike roundworms which are extremely hardly in the environment, hookworm eggs deplete their energy reserves in a few months and die. Further, hookworm eggs do not survive freezing temperatures.

If one uses bleach to clean an area, the protective coating is removed from the hookworm egg and the egg will become dehydrated and will die. Borates raked into the soil will also kill hookworm eggs but will kill grass and vegetation as well.

(That info is from this site).

BTW, you can order Panacur online w/o a Rx and it will probably cost you much less than what your vet charges. EntirelyPets has a good price.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest earlkattangrey

THANK YOU for the info about the third dose of Panacur - and you read my mind about getting it w/o and Rx! Why would I NOT try that at this point before paying for another fecal? At $35 a pop I am draining my bank account paying for fecals over and over again!

What about the fact it's been only 2 weeks between dose 1 and 2? I guess I'll just have to see.

I may start working on pooping outside the yard. It will be tricky, as he doesn't poop on leash right now and I've been training him that walks are NOT for potty time.

Thanks for the info about treating the yard as well.

Guest TeddysMom

My vet told me that they have changed the protocol for Panacur to 1cc per 6bls bodyweight for 5 days instead of the 3 days before. Repeat once a month for 3 months. Good luck, hope you get it cleared up soon.

Guest earlkattangrey

Looking at the Entirely Pets site, I'm starting to wonder if he's even getting the proper dosage. He's 75lbs. I'll have to check at home to see if the gram amount is listed on my invoice or the product, but I know he's been getting one packet/day for the three days. The chart on the site above says for an 80lb dog - two 4 gram packets/day for three days.

This is enough of an expense and problem without also having to second guess the vet. (Even if not on this, then on the dosing schedule she gave me.) So frustrated!

Guest TeddysMom

Looking at the Entirely Pets site, I'm starting to wonder if he's even getting the proper dosage. He's 75lbs. I'll have to check at home to see if the gram amount is listed on my invoice or the product, but I know he's been getting one packet/day for the three days. The chart on the site above says for an 80lb dog - two 4 gram packets/day for three days.

This is enough of an expense and problem without also having to second guess the vet. (Even if not on this, then on the dosing schedule she gave me.) So frustrated!

I have always used the liquid Panacur so I really know nothing about the powder dosing. I'm someone else here will know though.

Guest MyCody

Leah just started on Panacur and metronidazole for giardia and the vet said to wipe her feet and butt with an anti bacterial wet wipe and I spray the turn out area which is saind with anti bacterial Dawn, don't know if it's working yet, this is the first week. JJ tested negative for it, fingers crossed. I'm also washing her bowls with hot water and anti bacterial Dawn twice a day.

Guest earlkattangrey

Re: dosage - all the information I'm finding states that you dose them for three days, can find no mention of the five day protocol.

Dosing Table

Dog Weight Packet Size

10 pounds 1 gram

20 pounds 2 gram

30 pounds 1 gram + 2 gram

40 pounds 4 gram

50 pounds 1 gram + 4 gram

60 pounds 2 gram + 4 gram

80 pounds Two 4 gram

*packet size is the daily dose. The dog must be treated with this dose for 3 days in a row.

I looked on the manufacturer's website and the info is the same.

Leah just started on Panacur and metronidazole for giardia and the vet said to wipe her feet and butt with an anti bacterial wet wipe and I spray the turn out area which is saind with anti bacterial Dawn, don't know if it's working yet, this is the first week. JJ tested negative for it, fingers crossed. I'm also washing her bowls with hot water and anti bacterial Dawn twice a day.

Does antibacterial Dawn really work for killing hook eggs in the yard, or was that just for giardia?

Guest TeddysMom

I should have been more clear, my vet is recommending the 5 day dosing because they were having so many rechecks still positive on the 3 day protocol.

You need to also check the concentration of the medication. The concentration is on the box. Zoom in on the EP photo and you will see that it's 22% or 222mg/g. If the medication she gave you is a different concentration, then the grams you would need to give would also be different. Check both and see, but if the concentration is the same, then no, he wasn't getting enough. If he wasn't getting a strong enough dose, then I might do 2 more rounds at the proper dose, one now and one in 3 weeks. I've also heard about doing 5 days instead of 3 here and there as others have mentioned, but would defer to them on that one as I don't know enough about it.

As an aside, with the no pottying on walks, have you considered what you will do if you teach him that and then you travel with him to a place where you don't have a turn out option, like a hotel or friend's house?

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest earlkattangrey

You need to also check the concentration of the medication. The concentration is on the box. Zoom in on the EP photo and you will see that it's 22% or 222mg/g. If the medication she gave you is a different concentration, then the grams you would need to give would also be different. Check both and see, but if the concentration is the same, then no, he wasn't getting enough. If he wasn't getting a strong enough dose, then I might do 2 more rounds at the proper dose, one now and one in 3 weeks. I've also heard about doing 5 days instead of 3 here and there as others have mentioned, but would defer to them on that one as I don't know enough about it.

As an aside, with the no pottying on walks, have you considered what you will do if you teach him that and then you travel with him to a place where you don't have a turn out option, like a hotel or friend's house?

She didn't give me the box :/ I got packets stuffed into a generic Rx bottle. But hopefully there will be some info there or on the invoice - thanks for noting the concentration factor though.

Re: pottying on walks, they go on a long line, but that requires a bit of expanse of ground.

I should have been more clear, my vet is recommending the 5 day dosing because they were having so many rechecks still positive on the 3 day protocol.

I see. That might be a good next step - five day dosages three weeks apart. Thank you for clarifying :)

Guest earlkattangrey

Actually according to the manufacturer's website the Panacur C granules are only available in the 22.2% (222 mg/g) concentration. I'm going to be pretty livid if after all this my vet didn't even prescribe the proper dosage as recommended by the manufacturer.

Actually according to the manufacturer's website the Panacur C granules are only available in the 22.2% (222 mg/g) concentration. I'm going to be pretty livid if after all this my vet didn't even prescribe the proper dosage as recommended by the manufacturer.

Hmm, that seems likely. I've only heard of different concentrations with the liquid. I hate to start trouble, but I am thinking your vet may have made a mistake. :dunno

Guest earlkattangrey

I checked the bottle, packets, and invoice, but no help figuring how many grams she's prescribed. The invoice charges me $23.80 for six "units" (I got six packets). I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow and confirming the dosage from them before I point fingers, but if anyone knows, does this look like a 4 gram dosage to you?

2a4py7p.jpg

$23.80? Holy petunias. If it's just hookworms, you could do Nemex or Strongid-T for a fraction of that cost.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I checked the bottle, packets, and invoice, but no help figuring how many grams she's prescribed. The invoice charges me $23.80 for six "units" (I got six packets). I'll be talking to my vet tomorrow and confirming the dosage from them before I point fingers, but if anyone knows, does this look like a 4 gram dosage to you?

2a4py7p.jpg

That looks like a good amt. I didn't realize they gave it to you in baggies, nto the sealed packets - they may have given you the right amt after all. No way to know without calling htem.

I would use Diatomaceous Earth in the back yard to kill any worms that are there. NOT the pool type DE but the human grade variety. You can get it on the internet or if you have a Natural gardening store in your area. DE will kill all kinds of buggy wugglies including fleas.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Have you got a kitchen scale you could weigh it on?

Or stop by a drug store and ask the pharmacist to weigh the bag?

(My vet does plastic bags, too.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I fought hooks with Danger. After several months of panacur and Dontral he still had them.

I ordered Drontal Plus from an AU. site. I dosed him three days in a row for two weeks, waited a week and dosed him for another three days. His monthly HeartGard Plus also fell during this time frame. He has not had an issue since.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest KreweOfRoo

I have been fighting the battle of hookworms myself. I have found that you have to be on a religious medicating regiment for 4-6 months. We dose every 10 days with Interceptor, then Panacur....but...we are switching the panacur to pyrantel. Pyrantel is less invasive to the dogs digestive system and a lot cheaper. Look at Revival Animal Health, pyrantel is pretty inexpensive. Also, instead of the expense of Flagyl, I am now using Tylan..also a lot cheaper. We have also heavily dusted the yard with Diatomaceous Earth to kill the larve....so far so good. Amy's poop's are now from soft serve pudding to almost normal other breed poops. We have been doing this so far for 4 months, but will medicate for 2 more months just to be sure. Vet says it won't hurt her, so we will keep it up.

Hookworms are a real pain in the backside...in more ways than one.

Good luck.

~CeeJay and Krewe~

Guest earlkattangrey

2a4py7p.jpg

I called and they tell me these were hand-measured packets and were 7.5 grams each, which would be about right. However, before paying for a 7th or so fecal I think I will order some more so I can do two rounds of five day treatments, three weeks apart.

Thanks all for your suggestions!

Guest arlosmom

You really want to make sure that all poop is picked up immediately and I also spray behind each poop with 50/50 water and chlorox. I do have a friend who could not get rid of hooks and she had to clorox her yard twice. If they are there reinfection will keep occurring.