This May Sound Crazy But...

Guest Beachsand

Guest Beachsand

Hi all, it's been a while and our Kiowa's Beachsand has since crossed over and now we have SobeAmy. Anyway, as my topic said, is there any correlation between odd behavior and a full moon. Every now and then, Amy needs to go outside in the middle of the night. That being said, once in a while it seems like she's in her own world out there and it's hard to coax her back inside, even with a Milk Bone (which is very odd).

Guest oldNELLIE

Nellie doesn't sleep as well on or around a full moon.

My mom works in a hospital and she will vouch for the fact that humans behavior definitely changes. I would think that animals are even more in tune to shifts and less distracted by "life".

There are 6 families in our 50 house neighbourhood and our kids are all the same age (under 7). While they were babies / infants / toddlers / little people, we always talked about the roudiness that would ensue on full moon nights. It was noticed from everyone and very common.

I haven't seen a change in the dogs, though.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest burgerandfrey

Could it simply be that the brightness of the moon is playing tricks on their eyes? When there is a really bright full moon out, it's much easier to see at night...and the shadows cast by the moonlight dance around as the wind blows through the trees. While it makes it easier to see what is out there in the night, it's still not enough light to differentiate between real movement and the movement of the shadows.

The full moon doesn't seem to affect either of our greys, but they do sometimes freeze and stare out into the night if they think they see movement. I imagine the extra brightness and the strange shadows have an effect on people as well...especially those with active imaginations or a bit of paranoia.

My pups don't do anything different, but my cat goes friggin' nuts! Run, bounce off furniture and beds, run up and down the stairs and hallways! Me - I can never sleep during a full moon.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Guest Bang_o_rama

The full moon does make all the stray cats in the alley behind the tenement sit picturesquely atop the old board fence, silhouetted against the disk, yowling away until I, clad in pajamas and a nightcap with a dangling tassel, open the window, yell "SHADDUP, CATS!" at them and throw the old shoe that always seems to be handy in those situations.

Which all seems to amuse Officer Dibble.

~D~

Guest TeddysMom

When I had the rescue kennel in FL., I always noticed that the dogs were more wound up during the full moon. I always mention to DH that it is the full moon so be extra careful. They just seem crazier and more vocal. I believe it does effect them. Even the coyotes were really going at it more tonight when we were out walking than normal. Tomorrow is the night :(

Interesting--there are lots and lots of people who swear that the full moon influences behavior, but I recently read a report that talked about their being no actual evidence to support that beyond anecdotal stories.

I've never noticed it myself--my mother swears that my father, who has Alzheimer's and is almost completely "gone" mentally acts up during the full moon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest paulownedbyfour

With some there is a connection. Our hounds from the farm want to be out and bark in the house during a full moon. Our track dogs look at us as much to say make them stop. A freind who has a seziure pup with rare seziures says the only time he has his seizures is during a full moon. So I do think there is some connection.

Guest AmandaTolleson

At work (groomer) the dogs that are ALWAYS good act like idiots and the bad ones go INSANE. Seems like it to me but who knows...

Guest GreyRabbit

Well your post is understandable but THIS may sound crazy.

My lab/boxer mix actually runs in circles and barks at the moon when it is a crescent! Not full, doesn't notice it, but when it is in the first few days of a new moon. I swear, it is the creepiest thing. The first time it happenned we were walking in the dense woods together and I thought there was a racoon/animal/etc. in the tree because all of a sudden he started jumping and barking at the sky. He was going crazy, I got really scared and thought someone or something was hiding there. After a few months I realized that it happens in our very open (treeless) yard without fail each time it is a crescent. WEIRD!!!

P.S.

Thumbs up to all the nurses who posted, my mom has been a nurse for 25 years in psych and detox and absolutely agrees that things are worse around a full moon...