Tongues!

Guest Swarley

Guest Swarley

Our pup has a small fork in his tongue. the cut is less than a 1/2 inch long and it's off to one side and seems to be right where his bottom canine tooth is. Anyways, we noticed it when we were picking him up at the adoption place and the guy told us that all greyhound have that. But I've yet to see a picture of another grey with a forked tongue. Maybe he was just not telling me the truth in case he was afraid we wouldn't want to adopt Swarley?

I tried to get a pic to post but of course the one time I need to document his tongue, it's not hanging out! :)

Umm.. no, Greys do not have forked tongues, although you might want to read the post about Greyhounds That Lie! Swarley undoubtedly cut his tongue on something - perhaps he had it over his canine and got hit on the head? Or, he just cut it on something. Nothing to worry about unless he begins to speak with forked tongue!!:lol

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Count the number of legs. If there are not four, the adoption agency may have given you a python, either accidentally or intentionally. If this is the case, you may wish to return it.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LindsaySF

They probably fibbed a bit so you wouldn't think your dog was a freak or something. :lol

We placed a little black female that had a forked tongue, it was cute. :P I'm sure it was an old injury and just healed that way.

Guest BorzoiMom

At some point he bit his tongue. He didn't necessarily have to be hit in the head though. :blink: It's not effecting anything, so no big deal. :) I bit my tongue all the time, lol.

Guest barkdogs

I had an aussie with a forked tongue, and one of my greys has a tiny slit in his tongue. No big deal. Tony the aussie's healed really fast when he did (I had no idea how--just saw it shortly after)

Guest Swarley

haha alright, good to know. i wasn't concerned about it at all, i had just been going around repeating what the adopter said about all greys having it and people were starting to look at me funny :D

good to know!

Guest KennelMom

We've had a few with "forked" tongues...but it's certainly not standard equipment on a greyhound. Oh, the things adoption folks pass on to new adopters!

Count the number of legs. If there are not four, the adoption agency may have given you a python, either accidentally or intentionally. If this is the case, you may wish to return it.

:spoot:rofl

Guest GunnyGirl

And you know, we always wonder how those silly rumors/statements get started!!!! We always assume its from uneducated people. In this case, the adoption group started it! :blink:

Guest Spencers_Greyt

My non-Grey has a forked tongue but what really happened is she got a taste bud that whacked out and grew very huge so she had to have surgery to remove it and it took out a bit of her tongue so it looks forked on one side. But forked tonges are not natural for dogs. That would be snakes I think.... :lol

Edited by Spencers_Greyt

Guest littlesyd85

We have had few come through GAO with a forked tongue like a snake. Chances are at some point the poor thing bit it or cut it on their crate or something... They are not born that way! It is just one of the interesting scars that retired racers sometime have.

Rex had one.

I was told it sometimes happens when they are in the starting box and panting when the boxes open. The door comes up and they clamp down as they dig in to get out of the box. I don't know if that is the truth, but I do know one year at the Abilene fun run a dog bit his tongue during his run, probably that way.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Kevin has one....since it lays perfectly over his snaggle tooth, it was probably the result of some serious playing!

100_0319.jpg

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We had a boy in our race kennel, Avago Moggie. He used to love to try and reach the dogs food pan in the crate next to him or little bits of kibble that had been knocked out of the other dogs feed pan.

Well one day when Moggie was trying to fit his tongue threw those little squares in the crate the other dog clamped down on his tongue. :blink: My gosh did it bleed like a stuck pig :eek

Then there was a hound years and years ago when I worked at Plainfield that used to lick his crate. There must have been a loose wire because he got his tongue caught on it :( By time I climbed in to try and remove his tongue from the wire he had manage to basically just split his tongue. Ya that was a mess as well.

But I would have to say that slit tongues or fork tongues are not all that common :)

greyluck's angel Hobbes had a forked tongue too. :) I've only see a small handful with that injury but I can see how, like ears, would be something easy to notch.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Kevin has one....since it lays perfectly over his snaggle tooth, it was probably the result of some serious playing!

100_0319.jpg

This is one handsome dog! His nose could rival Romi's!

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

100_0319.jpg

This is one handsome dog! His nose could rival Romi's!

I just looked at your picture of Romi...matching honkers for sure!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest FireHorse

100_0319.jpg

This is exactly what Jet's tongue looks like! Between that and his ear (that looks like ironed nylon), we think he was a tomcat in a previous life. :lol