My Husband Was Bitten By Our Grey

Guest secondchance

Guest sheila

twin beds or a second bedroom so you husband doesn't have to sleep on a mattress on the floor with the dog?

Am I the only one that feels more sympathy for the husband here?

i never had any problems or difficulties teaching my daughter to respect our saluki who was 6.5 years old when she was born and never saw a baby before i brought her home. as a matter of fact my daughter's first word was GOOD-DOG she heard it soooo much.

i contained my dog comfortably when i was not able to supervise. as a young creepy-crawly children are supervised as they wander thru the house and play. mine was with in sight- near me, playing w/ pots and pans and grapefruits in the kitchen, yarns and fabric in the studio, riding the vacuum cleaner when i cleaned, dusting w/ me, playing in her room- interacting with me, together at the park or out on long walks w/ the dog, sleeping- they take lots of naps, eating and lots of time in the bath.my faithful azim was watching all the action and looking for "fallout"food- remember kids spend hours eating and dropping food.(i remember he was starting to turn into a tub when she was first trying to feed herself and missed most of the time. he stayed under the high chair). so, organizing space for both baby and dog is a no-brainer. i wore out a stroller walking both my kid and dog so much- and rain, snow, sleet or high winds didn't stop the 3 of us. remember this baby will be brought up with a dog, it's not like teaching a visiting toddler how to interact with a pup.

i hate to get on my soap box about some basic obedience training, but i think it will help both of you feel more comfortable and secure in the way you interact and do apply all the helpful tips that we have developed dealing with the varying degrees of sleep agression.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I have had dogs my whole life and i know that kids can live peacfully with dogs, even dogs with sleep issues you as a parent have to get to know your dog the best you can and also keep a good close eye on very small kids. I dont care how good your dog is it should never be left alone with a pet, accidents happen and kids/dogs can get carried away when playing.

I have a sleep agressive hound who is not all that small and i also have a 7 year old daughter, they live together peacefully because we have boundaries for both of them. my daughter knows to stay away from them when eating unless she is placing the puppys food bowl down and then she leaves, she never bothers any pet while sleeping and knows to walk around their beds when they are asleep. she has been raised around pets since birth and when she was small she was taught to stay away from them at specific times. when she was small did i expect her to know the difference? no i was always around when she was with the pets or the pets were separated.

Kids and dogs can live together but you have to make sure you are willing to put in the extra work to make sure everyone is happy and safe.

Getting rid of a dog because of an issues that CAN be worked with or worked around is the easy way out. If i got rid of my pets because of issues they came with i would have a very empty house. ( i have 2 cats with brain damage, 1 with a physical disability, 1 sleep agressive dog, 1 food bowl/treat/bone agressive dog and 1 dog with food intolerences, other breed agression,and anxiety issues)

If we all gave up our dogs due to issues most of wouldn't have the hounds we do have.

Give your boy a chance and see how it goes he may just surprise you! Good luck to you and DH.

Edited by Lovey_Hounds

Guest SusanP

3 out of our 5 hounds have had sleep aggression issues, and in all cases, the issues improved or disappeared after a year or two, when the dog had really learned to feel safe and secure in our home. However, that doesn't mean I'd be comfortable having a toddler with them full-time without the use of baby gates. A baby gate would not only protect the child, but give the dog some much-needed peace as well while still allowing him to see and communicate with you so you can attend to his needs. When we visit my parents and my brother's toddlers were there, I'd muzzle the dogs or sit right there with them every second.

To those who say you teach the child, yes, of course. But a baby is not a super rational being until s/he reaches a certain age, and yet up to that time, s/he is very mobile and curious. When ds was a baby, we had a house rabbit. We were able to teach DS gentle behavior with the bunny, but I wouldn't have trusted him unsupervised. The bunny had a cage, and I set up a playpen, and each spent some time in his respective enclosures when I couldn't be right on top of them. You pretty much need to be supervising a baby of that age every minute anyway, because the things they get into are unbelievable!

DD was 6 when we began adopting greyhounds, and we did have a couple of biting incidents with her, even at that age,even though I was right there supervising. Our old broodie Simon was nervous at first in our home and bit even when DD *was* keeping distance between them--Simon was lying down but upright, not sleeping, and I was petting her. DD approached and sat about a yard away, talking to Simon in a gentle voice, and Simon lunged at her with a bark. It was a small bite on DD's forehead. Simon learned to trust DD pretty quickly and simmered down, but we all knew better than to bother her when she was on her bed resting or sleeping. Another time, DD was petting Zippy with me and somehow leaned on Zippy's cut/bandaged leg before I realized it. Zippy nipped her on the forehead, too. Both bites were very controlled and minor, but scary nonetheless.

We all survived, though, and DD had a close bond with both dogs. Just thought it might help to hear about our experiences.

Edited by SusanP

Guest TeddysMom

Hope your husband is healing up and feeling better. It would be nice to be able to say that it probably won't happen again but I can't. If you love you gh and want to keep him, I would just be very cautious, maybe put an xpen around his bed and take care when approaching him while he is resting.

Guest brit1

Sorry but have to disagree. While obviously one should not scare a dog out of a deep sleep the dog is not the one in charge, the humans are. I have had dogs for over 60years (non greys) and have never, ever had any of them (from poodles to germans shepherds) turn on me because I accidentally woke them up or asked them to move. This is one reason I have hesitated to adopt a greyhound, keep reading about this happening but glad to hear people now being more honest about it.

I feel sorry for the dog. There is nothing the wrong with him, he's doing everything right, and then gets a bum wrap like this. Is it that hard to just let the poor dog sleep without bothering him? How would you respond if you had slept by yourself all of your life and then all of a sudden, in a new enviroment no less, people thought they should be able to just poke at you etc. while you were sleeping? He couldn't help it- he was scared. As far as he knew the devil was trying to get him. And then of all things... what he wants to do most in the world is please you and you reprimand him and scold him, for what he don't even know. All he knows is that he displeased you and it upset him so bad like you said he even threw up. Sorry but I just feel sorry for the dog. I can't understand why it is so difficult to arrange things so he can be alone when he is sleeping. I just can't understand why folks think they and their kids have to "accoust" dogs while they are sleeping. They themselves wouldn't accept it if people did it to them while they were trying to sleep/rest.

I am very sorry your DH got hurt. I hope he is healing well both physcially and emotionally.

I was bit by my "love bug" Teddy about 3 years ago. It was over my eye and I required 8 stitches. 6 over my eye, 2 on my cheek and the other side of my face needed dermabond. This was from one lunge from him. It was my fault 110%. I stuck my face where it didn't belong when he was lying down, attempting to sleep.

The lesson I learned was never to bother him when he sleeps. I too was so afraid of the Teddy with my soon to be granddaughter (who is now 2.5).

No, she is not here 24/7 like your baby will be but she is here a lot. She already knows NO touching any of the dogs when they are in their beds. And regardless of what breed dog I had, I would never for a momemet leave any baby in a room with a dog unattended.

Sorry but have to disagree. While obviously one should not scare a dog out of a deep sleep the dog is not the one in charge, the humans are. I have had dogs for over 60years (non greys) and have never, ever had any of them (from poodles to germans shepherds) turn on me because I accidentally woke them up or asked them to move. This is one reason I have hesitated to adopt a greyhound, keep reading about this happening but glad to hear people now being more honest about it.

I had a Lhasa who would try and take your leg off if you accidently brushed against him when he was in the bed.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Greyhounds are a little bit different. They weren't raised to be pets, they were raised in a kennel and were never, ever disturbed while sleeping until they were adopted - American greyhounds sleep singly to a crate. We don't see so much 'sleep startle' here in the UK, because our greyhounds are kept two to a kennel and share a bed.

This is very hard behaviour to change - we're talking about adult dogs who have a habit of a lifetime, and not just a habit, but an instinctive behaviour. Read the Kathleen Gilley article to get a good insight into why it can happen - you'll find it in 'Greyt Information' called 'No Fear, No Pain training'. I don't have time to get the link for you right now.

I worry a little when I hear people say 'the humans are in charge' when it comes to an ingrained, dog-instinct behaviour, because it's so easy to come unstuck. I suspect the dogs you've had were all 'pet quality' and were adopted - by someone, if not by you - as pups into a home situation.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest burgerandfrey

You've been very lucky. The terriers I grew up were all sleep aggressive. The fact that many retired racing greyhounds once had the security of a crate to sleep in does not make all of them sleep aggressive. Out of the three greyhounds we have owned only one has a sleep aggression issue... and it's minor compared to the terriers we had growing up (those little dogs always snapped, while our grey usually just barks when you startle him)... and very minor compared to the toy poodle my parents had for awhile. That poodle bit my brother's lip and eventually moved in with my grandparents. The phrase "Let sleeping dogs lie" applies to dogs in general and not just to greyhounds. I'm not sure why you felt that greyhound owners were not being honest about issues like this before, but I think one reason you read about sleep aggression on sites like this is because people are more likely to ask for help when there is a behavioral issue that concerns them. When people ask me about owning a greyhound I always tell them why they make wonderful pets, but I also tell them why they aren't for everyone. I've never felt that sleep aggression was something I needed to list as a negative specific to greyhounds. In my experience that's a possible negative with any breed. Humans too! I've known people who would take a swing at you if you touched them while they were sleeping!

How do most people wake up their spouses? Do you push them out of bed? Surprise them by touching them? Yell at them? Or do you whisper their names softly until they open their eyes? I use the latter approach with both my wife and our dogs. Not because I'm worried about them lashing out at me. It just seems like the polite thing to do. And even if a dog doesn't snap when you push them off the sofa or your bed, it's much easier and less stressful to use a simple voice command in my opinion.

Edited by burgerandfrey

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Brit1,

Maybe the greyhound breed just isn't for you. Maybe a nice, sweet, quiet, non-reactive, non-aggressive Chihuahua would be more your speed (I AM being facetious).

Maybe a nice, sweet, quiet, non-reactive, non-aggressive Chihuahua would be more your speed (I AM being facetious).

I believe I have bolded the contradictory term in this sentence. I've seen more aggressive little ankle biters than I care to mention, and chihuahuas are not known for their easygoing nature!

Maybe a nice non-aggressive stuffed toy dog from the local toy store is a better bet.

I've got a JRT that you can do anything to while she's sleeping. She's never snapped or even barked when her sleep is disturbed.

I also have two greyhounds that have space issues and sleep aggression. They both sleep in crates and if someone bumps their crates will jump up with a growl snap. I honestly think it's individual dogs and their personalities and the fact that they have had their own space from 12 months of age on.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest gecko_foot

Brit1,

Maybe the greyhound breed just isn't for you. Maybe a nice, sweet, quiet, non-reactive, non-aggressive Chihuahua would be more your speed (I AM being facetious).

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

You had me dying over that comment!

To silverfish (I can't get the multiquote thing to work), thank you for your comment about the "humans are in charge" philosophy. I couldn't have said it better. I completely agree with you that some people misinterpret this philosophy as "my dog should do everything he/she is told regardless of the circumstances" and forget that they have to build a solid, trusting relationship with the dog first. :thumbs-up

Guest Swifthounds

For me, the behavior problems like sleep startle/aggression and MOST canine behavioral problems have their direct origin in humans failing to take the time to teach their dog the ropes. If you want a dog, a kid, or a person to live by certain rules and behave a certain way, you have to make that known. Being a dog (puppy, ex-racer, shelter pet, etc.) in most new homes often is the equivalent of me telling you to go to X location and do the job that company does without making mistakes, even though you've not done that job before and have no training for it. Wing it and hope you get lucky!

and then we're surprised when they fail....