Balding Patches On Tails

Guest Amber

Guest Amber

Both my senior greys, one boy aged 13 one girl aged 11-I just noticed today have small balding patches about one third of the way down their tails on the upperside of the tail. They have a good diet (mix of Nature Diet and raw, OK some treats with additives in but not too many). My girl also has bald thigh, but these patches on their tails are new. They both seem OK in themselves, but odd that they both should have it in the same place!

Anyone got any idea why they would get these bald/thinning patches?

Dogs have a scent gland (precaudal gland) in their tails. Some dogs will bald where it is and some don't.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest sorenkkg

We had that last year, both my boy and girl. It went away. There is a gland about in that location, and the spot is called "stud tail". I did ask my vet about it as well. She said not to worry (I mention this b/c the links say to get all sorts of blood tests...)

here's a couple of links for info-- they both say to wash it a bit with a medicated soap, but honestly, I didn't do anything and ours went away. I'm sure an extra bath won't hurt though smile.gif

http://www.practical...005090609583186

scroll down on this one http://animalpetdoct...terialskin.html

Edited by sorenkkg

Guest Amber

Thanks for the speedy reply! I just wondered because sometimes you also see this in neglected dogs who are underweight/poor diet (whereas mine are spoilt rotten)! I had the vet come for Oscar's acupuncture today and mentioned it to her but she seemed stumped and thought it might be mechanical damage, but I don't see how. I wonder if skin/coat supplements would help? With Petra's bald thigh, it did start to grow back on a raw diet, but then with supply problems and her going picky and not eating I had to abandon being 100% raw and she's looking pretty bare on her bottom now.

Guest sorenkkg

I wouldn't even worry about it... do whatever you are doing, and it will probably go away by itself. If they are otherwise fine... mention it to your vet next time you see him/her, but this is across all breeds and is super common, and I don't think it's anything to really even think about. It would be nice to have some furry tush on your Petra I'm sure, but this isn't related.

Ours got it last year for the first time, and I had Haka since 2004 and Aleeya since 2006. Funny thing is, I noticed the other day it was gone, and we literally didn't do a single thing for it.

Don't stress... there's so many other, better things to be worried about tongue.gif

Talk about good timing! I just recently noticed a "bald patch" on Otis' tail - it didn't seem to bother him and I wasn't too concerned but I figured I'd mention it the next time we see the vet. Thanks for posting, OP, and thanks for sharing your knowledge, everyone else! :)

Edited by greylyn

Guest NeroAmber

Hmmm... I think I need to change my vet :angry: - I asked about the bald patch on Nero's tail and she checked for fleas and looked confused and told me to come back if it got worse. Mind you, the biggest clue that she was a bit clueless was when she said she'd never seen a greyhound lying down like a sphynx, then got all excited and asked for a picture... :blink:

Guest sorenkkg

Hmmm... I think I need to change my vet mad.gif - I asked about the bald patch on Nero's tail and she checked for fleas and looked confused and told me to come back if it got worse. Mind you, the biggest clue that she was a bit clueless was when she said she'd never seen a greyhound lying down like a sphynx, then got all excited and asked for a picture... blink.gif

Um, ya. tongue.gif there's a list of greyhound savvy vets pinned at the top of the health and medical forum I believe-- or post a question and let people know your area.

My vet was recommended by someone on this forum who live(s/d?) in my area and has greys and an iggy, and now I find that even though there are different vets who treat my 2 pups, they are all really good. I do inform them of some greyhound only stuff now and then, but generally, they inspire confidence in me.

Great Danes and lots of other dogs sphinx... I guess seeing a greyhound in person in some areas is still sort of a treat, but geez, they should get their act together in front of you!

sorry-- threadjack over cool.gif

My Nevada had Cushings disease & that was one of the first signs I noticed-balding patches on her tail. Are they drinking excessively?

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Stud tail. Although I thought it was called stud tail b/c only male dogs have the gland, but I honestly don't remember and appear to be wrong. I will say, Zuri, my male, gets it only when his coat is poor, which is only if we're adapting to a diet issue (he's fed raw). When we're on track wtih his diet, he doesn't have it. My female doesn't get it.

ETA: My bad, apparently called stud tail b/c it's more common in unneutered males.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

We had that last year, both my boy and girl. It went away. There is a gland about in that location, and the spot is called "stud tail". I did ask my vet about it as well. She said not to worry (I mention this b/c the links say to get all sorts of blood tests...)

here's a couple of links for info-- they both say to wash it a bit with a medicated soap, but honestly, I didn't do anything and ours went away. I'm sure an extra bath won't hurt though smile.gif

http://www.practical...005090609583186

scroll down on this one http://animalpetdoct...terialskin.html

Yup, stud tail.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****