Zuki Is Beginning To Be Aggressive

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Zuki (about 6 and a half months old now) has been getting more and more aggressive over the past 2 weeks and I am not sure what to do about it. ' It started with Zuki going after Zali in the car over a bully stick (They both had one but Zuki wanted them both). I know now - bad idea but they both seemed so mellow before this incident. Poor Zali had to crawl into the front passenger seat which was stacked with dog food.

Zuki's barking in her crate has gone from a "hey what about me, let me out" puppy bark to a more adult serious aggressive sounding bark. She is only in the crate when eating or waiting for her meals while I get everything ready and pass out the food. Sunny eats next to Zuki and if his food bowl slides in front of Zuki's crate she will aggressive bark, growl and lunge at him - not sure what would happen if she wasn't in the crate. Sunny will usually just leave his food and walk away. She is also eating like she is starving if I get anywhere near her dish - like I am going to take it away form her, which I have never done. I have tried hand feeding her for several days and putting slices of turkey hot dogs in her dish while eating so she associates my hand with good things but still tonight she growled at me.

She is also showing aggression around the house as well. Zuki was on the little couch and Luna tried to climb up with her - Zuki growled and snarled.

I really don't know what to do when Zuki does these things. I do make her sit and wait before I feed her or before she gets treats, she always gets her last out of the dogs. I am trying the NILIF approach but not sure if I am doing it right. She seems to be getting worse and has taken a noticeable turn over the past week or two.

And photos of the little stinker:

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

Guest Lovey_Hounds

Been there dont that with Chili,she even chewed me up a few times but we have thinks worked out now.... i will PM you.

Guest lynne893

good luck. she's a beautiful gal.

if you can afford it, yes, i would take her to training and have a behaviorist/trainer do some one-on-one.

you can do this! you can take control of the situation!

Guest Ashleigh

How could that sweet little face be so bad? I agree with the training classes too. I'm putting Hank into agility soon to burn him out a little and for us to be more of a team. Good luck! It seems like you're doing the right thing...

Guest Swifthounds

I would look for a trainer that uses positive training methods, not just because IME dogs learn faster this way, but because with a dog already asserting herself in all the wrong ways, other methods can make the problem worse. Just a few thoughts in the mean time.

Zuki (about 6 and a half months old now) has been getting more and more aggressive over the past 2 weeks and I am not sure what to do about it. ' It started with Zuki going after Zali in the car over a bully stick (They both had one but Zuki wanted them both). I know now - bad idea but they both seemed so mellow before this incident. Poor Zali had to crawl into the front passenger seat which was stacked with dog food.

If they're in the car together and not crated, plastic kennel muzzles are a must-have, even with placid hounds. Too easy for someone to catch a tooth is they shift around, and too easy for a small skermish to sound like WWIII in your back seat. You won't have time to pull over quickly enough, esecially if it breaks out while all is quiet or while you're stuck in traffic.

Also, no treats, toys, or chews unless in the crate or when you're right there to supervise (and not watching TV or doing something else). Supervised chew time, each dog with their own chew is a good thing because it gives you small segments of time to work on the proper etiquette for such activities. They get what you give and only that. No stealing. No hoarding. No growling and carrying on. Any of those undesired effects triggers loss of the valued object. The message you send is that you give, and in exchange they behave - that's the deal.

Zuki's barking in her crate has gone from a "hey what about me, let me out" puppy bark to a more adult serious aggressive sounding bark. She is only in the crate when eating or waiting for her meals while I get everything ready and pass out the food. Sunny eats next to Zuki and if his food bowl slides in front of Zuki's crate she will aggressive bark, growl and lunge at him - not sure what would happen if she wasn't in the crate. Sunny will usually just leave his food and walk away.

She barks more insistently and more loudly because she thinks it will get her what she wants and she hasn't learned that undesired behavior won't get what she wants. Whether she's in the crate because you've been out or because you're prepping dinner, she may not exit the crate until she is quiet and laying there calmly. Anything else send the message "If I behave like a crazed maniac, I get what I want." It takes patience, but when barking ceases to get her what she wants, she will stop.

She is also eating like she is starving if I get anywhere near her dish - like I am going to take it away form her, which I have never done. I have tried hand feeding her for several days and putting slices of turkey hot dogs in her dish while eating so she associates my hand with good things but still tonight she growled at me.

What were you doing when she growled? Just asking because it wasn't clear to me, and it makes a difference.

She is also showing aggression around the house as well. Zuki was on the little couch and Luna tried to climb up with her - Zuki growled and snarled.

NILF means life's privileges are earned. What good behavior has she demonstrated to warrant a couch? Physically superior positions (standing while another dog lays, laying on a couch while another animal is on the floor) are positions of authority. That's not the message you want to send a dog that is acting out and inappropriately asserting herself. No couch. No human bed.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest brandi007

As the owner of a 'bag-face' myself I don't know if I'm the best person to respond in this dilemma. Hannah growls at Sophie, growls at me, growls at guests (sometimes) and doesn't stop growling when we have foster dogs in the house - she's just a snarly face.

This being said however I've learned to understand her growling and when to let her be and when to correct her. She does the same thing as your Zuki where she gets her own bone but still goes over and takes Sophie's and then growls at Sophie for wanting it back. I step in, do the big "Hannah NO!" give the bone back to Sophie and if she continues she loses her bone too. I've also learn't that the growling isn't the worst thing that can happen - growling is a warning, when your dog stops growling and just flat out attacks you have a major issue.

Hannah's an insecure dog that's constantly trying to be the leader of the pack which is never going to work out for her or anyone else in my household. She actually absolutely adores having a clearly defined 'no guff' alpha dog in the house and turns into a normal dog when this happens. It's the only time she'll allow another dog into her house.

Sounds to me like you've got a rambunctious teenager who's trying to assert herself as top dog. I agree with everything that Swifthounds says and also think that you need to put your foot down. She's a teenager and I'm sure any parent that has had a rebellious teenager will tell you that you have to assert yourself and not let her walk all over you! I don't think you have a very defined alpha in your pack just based off of all your wonderful posts about your babies so I think you need to step in and be that leader. I'm not talking about Alpha rolling or any of that macho junk but you should be firm and confident in what you expect from Zuki and everybody else.

Don't be scared of her if she growls at you - if she's on the couch and growls, kick her way-too-cute tushy off! If she's being a bag about treats, take them away until she's better - and please please please don't respond to her at all if she's barking at you from inside or outside the crate. Talon did this to me (when she was 6 months old...haha) and all I did was ignore her. This is the worst thing you can do to a puppy who's trying to get attention and they learn quickly that you won't even look at them until they stop being bad. Giving her attention while she's barking (even if you're yelling QUIET!) is what she wants.

Most of all I'd recommend getter her little mocha-butt into puppy school or getting a trainer. This worked wonders for me and Hannah and while we haven't exactly 'fixed' all her issues it's put me and her on the right path. I went from crying every night wondering what I was doing with this dog to absolutely falling head over heals in love with her. I wouldn't trade Hannah-ble Lector for the world!

She just needs to know her place in the grand scheme of things and you need to let her know what her place is! I do wish you all the luck and am always here to chat but I do think you need to get her into school. It'll help you learn to communicate with her and teach her the proper way to communicate with you.

Guest Ashleigh

As the owner of a 'bag-face' myself I don't know if I'm the best person to respond in this dilemma. Hannah growls at Sophie, growls at me, growls at guests (sometimes) and doesn't stop growling when we have foster dogs in the house - she's just a snarly face.

This being said however I've learned to understand her growling and when to let her be and when to correct her. She does the same thing as your Zuki where she gets her own bone but still goes over and takes Sophie's and then growls at Sophie for wanting it back. I step in, do the big "Hannah NO!" give the bone back to Sophie and if she continues she loses her bone too. I've also learn't that the growling isn't the worst thing that can happen - growling is a warning, when your dog stops growling and just flat out attacks you have a major issue.

Hannah's an insecure dog that's constantly trying to be the leader of the pack which is never going to work out for her or anyone else in my household. She actually absolutely adores having a clearly defined 'no guff' alpha dog in the house and turns into a normal dog when this happens. It's the only time she'll allow another dog into her house.

Sounds to me like you've got a rambunctious teenager who's trying to assert herself as top dog. I agree with everything that Swifthounds says and also think that you need to put your foot down. She's a teenager and I'm sure any parent that has had a rebellious teenager will tell you that you have to assert yourself and not let her walk all over you! I don't think you have a very defined alpha in your pack just based off of all your wonderful posts about your babies so I think you need to step in and be that leader. I'm not talking about Alpha rolling or any of that macho junk but you should be firm and confident in what you expect from Zuki and everybody else.

Don't be scared of her if she growls at you - if she's on the couch and growls, kick her way-too-cute tushy off! If she's being a bag about treats, take them away until she's better - and please please please don't respond to her at all if she's barking at you from inside or outside the crate. Talon did this to me (when she was 6 months old...haha) and all I did was ignore her. This is the worst thing you can do to a puppy who's trying to get attention and they learn quickly that you won't even look at them until they stop being bad. Giving her attention while she's barking (even if you're yelling QUIET!) is what she wants.

Most of all I'd recommend getter her little mocha-butt into puppy school or getting a trainer. This worked wonders for me and Hannah and while we haven't exactly 'fixed' all her issues it's put me and her on the right path. I went from crying every night wondering what I was doing with this dog to absolutely falling head over heals in love with her. I wouldn't trade Hannah-ble Lector for the world!

She just needs to know her place in the grand scheme of things and you need to let her know what her place is! I do wish you all the luck and am always here to chat but I do think you need to get her into school. It'll help you learn to communicate with her and teach her the proper way to communicate with you.

Hi Brandi! I love reading your posts! You're so hilarious....and very smart! :)

Guest zoolaine

I guess because I have never had an aggressive dog and I feel so bad about this whole situation. I have had an occasional dog growl - Jupiter will sometimes growl when another dog tries to get on the couch or bed but a simple reprimand and kicking off works wonder. Briley does get a little snarly at times but my dogs are all pretty mellow and laid back.

This morning Zuki was in her crate and was barking - which I was ignoring - it was more of the "hey let me out of here" bark but when another dog would walk by she would go into the "I'm going to kill you" bark, growl, snarl. It is actually a little scary. I haven't seen her like this when she is out of the crate (she is only in the crate at meal time and right before, whenever I am gone everyone but Sunny has to wear muzzles).

I have gone back to hand feeding her every piece of kibble and will do this for awhile I guess. When she growled I had set her bowl down and when she was snarfing it down, like she hadn't eaten in a week, kibble went all over so I was trying to put it back in her dish.

I was going to take her to private obedience lessons from someone in Seattle who owns and trains greys, but Zuki tested positive for giardia so that was placed on hold. Hopefully on Sunny's next chemo treatment in Seattle I can take Zuki to obedience class. Yakima is about 2 and a half hours form Seattle and the trainers here aren't great. I took Zali at 6 months to a place that everyone raves about and it sucked - they wanted her to wear a choke collar, kneed her in the chest and was just overall terrible, we only went once and refused to go back.

I guess because Zali has always been soooo sweet I was expecting the same from Zuki. Even with Zali's naughtiness she has never been the least bit mean at all.

Ok here are some more photos of Zuki, she is sweet most of the time!

ZUKIHANA-1.jpg

ZukiLuna.jpg

Guest brandi007

Ok here are some more photos of Zuki, she is sweet most of the time!

Frick is she ever cute!!!!

I think what you said above is really important. I know with Hannah what really changed everything for us (plus school) was treasuring all the amazing things she does.

For every time she'd growl at me on my bed at night, I'd think about all the times she'd wake up in the middle of the night and give me little Hannah kisses. For every time she'd growl at Sophie (and she does this A LOT) I'd think about all the times she cleans Sophie's ears and how upset she gets when Sophie leaves. You've really gotta love all the good things about her in order not to be overwhelmed by the 'issues'.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

It may be hard right now and seem like she isnt changing but she will change and figure out her place in life.... trust me chili was evil somedays but she is pretty good now but it took work lots of it.

Guest Swifthounds

Probably the hardest thing about a greyhound puppy is that they seem to go through their cutest stages as their going through their emotional tough spots. It does make things easier if you have a strong alpha and if you're assertive yourself.

I can still remember Vixen as a pup. I didn't think she was any worse than other breeds, though she did everything faster. Hard to believe my baby girl is in the double digits.

I don't know the whole pack situation of the OP, but it doesn't sound like Zuki is trying to be alpha. It sounds more like she's a bratty teenager who doesn't know her place in the pack order. Where that isn't clear to a dog, they will continue to test boundaries (like a human teenager, except you never have to pay for their college while they complain about how much of an embarrassment you are).

While you're waiting on a trainer, maybe try doing some of your own training session with her. Just a few minutes on the basics. Being asked to do something, achieving it, and getting a reward will boost her confidence and help her to be more comfortable in her place - at least regarding you. Feel free to PM me if you want/need any pointers.

I would not call what you describe "aggression." She's growing up and starting to test the boundaries!

Six months is right about the age where a puppy starts to do that. The cute little pup who followed you around starts to run off. The puppy who loved to rough house and just took it all in now starts to rough you right back. All very normal!

Time to start training in earnest!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest KennelMom

Have the other pack members ever (even when she was younger) tried to correct her? (growling, snapping etc?) If so, what happened/happens when they did/do?

Edited by KennelMom

"I would not call what you describe "aggression." She's growing up and starting to test the boundaries!

Six months is right about the age where a puppy starts to do that. The cute little pup who followed you around starts to run off. The puppy who loved to rough house and just took it all in now starts to rough you right back. All very normal!

Time to start training in earnest!"

well said, georgeisone

i went thru craziness w/ felix when he was that age(i got him at 7 weeks). sleep agression, he started biting my hand and arm when we trained and totally obnoxious behavior which i did not tolerate. we did obedience training starting at 12 weeks for ever. now we take breaks inbetween classes(currently doing agility) since i am broke. but i put in a good 67 weeks of non-stop training. well worth every penny.(puppy, basic 1,2,3, rally-o, review of basic 3- he got really bad and unstructered after rally intro-, a different rally class and a different basic 3 on the same night, 3 agility classes)

felix's littermate was returned since he turned into an uncontrolable 70lb dog really quickly. they are full of ENERGY and need to be run, run, run and be played with and learn to focus on YOU. the structured obedience training will work, also teaching your pup to go after tennis balls, frisbees and soccer balls will also help helps burn off some of that energy. at that age we played in the morning, walked- taught felix to hold something while we walked(to this day he always walks w/ a stick in his mouth), he ate again, pottied, slept, when i returned from work- more structured play, another walk after feeding, and practice for classes. it's lots of work bringing up a puppy, especially a puppy w/ super powers....strenght, speed and intensity....that's a greyhound pup for you!

feel free to pm me if you wish.

they are full of ENERGY and need to be run, run, run and be played with and learn to focus on YOU. the structured obedience training will work, also teaching your pup to go after tennis balls, frisbees and soccer balls will also help helps burn off some of that energy. at that age we played in the morning, walked- taught felix to hold something while we walked(to this day he always walks w/ a stick in his mouth), he ate again, pottied, slept, when i returned from work- more structured play, another walk after feeding, and practice for classes.

Excellent outline to follow.

If the other dogs won't/can't correct her, then you'll have to. The thing is, puppies are pretty rough and tumble, so ordinary scolding is just a game to them, and things like removing them from the situation don't address the energy problem. Exercise (more is better!) and redirection (endless supply of tennis balls, squeakies, etc.) are your friends.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zoolaine

Thanks for all the advice and tips. Right now Zuki is having an excellent time playing with her border collie friend Cooper - who can match her energy level then some :lol I probably need to spend more one on one time with Zuki and start working on some obedience until we can take lessons. I know part is just puppy antics but she really is a snarling monster in her crate at times.