Pink Bump On Eye

Jeffy has a pink bump on his eye, looks sty-like. Doesn't seem to be hurting him but perhaps a bit itchy. Any ideas. I'll be callng the vet in the a.m. but just looking for ideas????

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Jeffy has a pink bump on his eye, looks sty-like. Doesn't seem to be hurting him but perhaps a bit itchy. Any ideas. I'll be callng the vet in the a.m. but just looking for ideas????

I took my galgo, Cruz, in to see my vet a few months ago because he has one between his bottom eyelid and his eyeball. It's pinkish and a little bigger than a BB. Vet said it's a chalazion which is basically clogged meibomian gland (gland that produces the oily lubricant component of tears). Cruz will let me massage his and put a warm compress on it and it will drain and go away for a while, but it continues to plug back up periodically.

The "cure", according to my vet is surgical -- cutting a little slice out of the lid to remove it. I don't want to go that route at this point since it doesn't seem to be causing him any real discomfort or irritation to the eye and it's responding well to warmth and massage. I'd never heard of any of this before and when I first saw it was worried it was a tumor. I would let your vet look at it to rule out anything serious, but according to my vet this condition isn't uncommon, but some sometimes they can get big and very irritating to the eye.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What bendadryl dosage is appropriate for greys? It is a pink bump and the eye is bloodshot around it and it appeared suddenly so maybe a bug bite, or he was playing with my inlaws rowdy pup yesterday who kept jumping on him, if a nail caught him in the eye could it leave a pink bump looking thing?

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Definitely a Vet visit and probably a doggie Eye Vet visit.

Dylan had a chalazion removed from his lower lid and had no problems with it. We didn't notice it at all because his was the same color as the skin around his eye. But of course, one weekend it started bothering him and he was rubbing his eye and irritating it. We had it removed the next week with no problems. We did use benedryl to keep him from rubbing it for the weekend until the Vet could slice it out. :)

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Hope its nothing serious carolyn!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest tinams8

My dog has a small cyst similar to what others are describing but I forget what the vet called it. Normally it doesn't bother her. Once it got inflamed and swelled up. It looked like a stye. It was itchy and she was rubbing it with her paws. The vet said to put a warm compress on it 4x a day and put otc antibiotic ointment on it 3x a day. Also benedryl for the itching. The dosage is 1-2mg/lb. It looked 90% better after 24 hours and was completely resolved in about 3 days. If it was a constant problem I would remove it, but so far it is not bothering her.

Does it seem itchy? Antibiotic ointment is an easy (and cheap) treatment to try if you think that sounds like it.

Yes, it is definitely annoying him as he is pawing at it. I have an appt for him for 930 tomorrow morning to get it looked at and be sure. It seemed to appear overnight and doesn't really look like the chalzion pics that I googled but who knows.

I took my galgo, Cruz, in to see my vet a few months ago because he has one between his bottom eyelid and his eyeball. It's pinkish and a little bigger than a BB. Vet said it's a chalazion which is basically clogged meibomian gland (gland that produces the oily lubricant component of tears). Cruz will let me massage his and put a warm compress on it and it will drain and go away for a while, but it continues to plug back up periodically.

The "cure", according to my vet is surgical -- cutting a little slice out of the lid to remove it. I don't want to go that route at this point since it doesn't seem to be causing him any real discomfort or irritation to the eye and it's responding well to warmth and massage. I'd never heard of any of this before and when I first saw it was worried it was a tumor. I would let your vet look at it to rule out anything serious, but according to my vet this condition isn't uncommon, but some sometimes they can get big and very irritating to the eye.

I don't like to be an alarmist, but my vet thought the same thing about the growth's on John E''s eyelid. They were removed and both were malignant. If you remove the growth on your dog's eyelid before it gets larger, and should it be malignant, you will be able to get clean margins. The eyelid being what it is, if the growth gets larger, you will have a problem.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Upon closer inspection I *think* the bump, which is no longer a bump, was where the rowdy pup caught him in the eyelid with a toenail. It now looks more like a small scratch/cut but I think originally it had swollen. Either way he is here at the office with me and going to meet his vet in about 20 minutes. I'll feel better after having it looked at and he needs to get some Revolution anyway. This is his first time coming to work with me, so far he is pacing and standing staring at my boss in front of his desk :lol (boss is on the phone and trying not to laugh as Jeff tilts his head back and forth and stares at him)

Does your boss resemble a small, fast, furry animal?

:lol :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

No he's a big tall bald guy actually :lol

we're back, with some antibiotic ointment and a 6 pack of revolution. Scratch with slight infection. The bump was the initial scratch puffing up. Darn puppy scratching my boy!! Vet was thoroughly smitten with Jeffy.

Awww, who wouldn't be smitten with "our" Jeffy? :wub: Glad the eye issue is minor. :)

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.