Sick Or Just Normal 9-Year-Old?

Guest djenkins99

Guest djenkins99

I would greatly appreciate advice about my 9-year-old greyhound Allison. For the past several weeks she has been very lethargic, only wants to go outside to relieve herself and then come back in. Her appetite is also off, and she's had several accidents in the house, very unusual.

I took her to the vet, temperature normal, but she's gained 6-7 pounds since October (now at 69 lbs). Suspecting a spleen tumor, they took an x-ray of her abdomen. The vet thought that the intestines looked pushed into her lower abdomen, also suggesting a tumor. Several days later they did an ultrasound of all abdominal organs, and everything checked out normal, with the exception of a slightly enlarged spleen, which the vet attributed to the effect of the anesthesia they administered. Blood tests also came back normal, as is stool. The vet also found a little gum disease; she still has all her teeth. She doesn't appear to be in any discomfort, sleeps normally, and once every few days or so is even playful. Toward the end of winter she was limping on her left front side, with no outward manifestation of injury or foot problem, but eventually that got better. I'm used to walking her 1 mile or more at least once a day, so the lethargy and unwillingness to walk is very abnormal.

At this point it's difficult for me to know whether she's sick or just getting old. What is the normal activity profile of a 9-year-old greyhound? I realize I'm asking for a generalization, but would still appreciate opinions. She's my first dog since childhood, so I have no basis for comparison. She's also a really great dog, never leaves my side.

Guest SusanP

It does not sound normal to me. Did they check her thyroid and send the results to a lab for a full panel? I would keep pushing til you get an answer. :grouphug

Guest PhillyPups

:bighug

Sharing my home with an 11 and 12 year old, it does not sound normal to me. They do nap more, but their bursts of energy are amazing. Just get a treat and watch em wake up.

If there is teeth/gum infection that should be dealt with, as it can cause a lot of other problems .

Please keep us posted.

I don't feel this is normal for a healthy nine year old dog and plenty of greyhounds are healthy and active at age nine. The lethargy, change in appetite, and the accidents in the house suggest a problem/problems the tests and exams have yet to uncover in my opinion. What is your vet saying at this point? Since you're still concerned, have you considered taking her records to another vet to get a second opinion? Is there a vet in your area that specializes in older dogs?

Please keep us posted. Sending good thoughts. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Not normal. Both my 12 yr olds were very active just weeks before they passed. My 14.5 yr old, while she does sleep a lot more, has a very good appetite and still goes outside and trots the perimeter and tosses stuffies and looks forward to her walks with enthusiasm.

Guest djenkins99

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'll call the vet tomorrow and see what he suggests to try next. For sure we need to get the gum problem solved. And there's another vet I know who specializes in older dogs.

I agree not normal. My almost 11 year old is just as active as the 3 year old. Hope she is OK.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Nine is not old, really. Staggerlee, almost 10, has slowed down a bit, but not really lethargic. ALL bloodwork normal for him.

I, too, would start with the thyroid, and go from there. Maybe the gums are worse than you think, and she hurts??

Hard to say, but, no ... nine is not that old. Sending you lots of love, hugs and many prayers!

Guest djenkins99

I had to go out of town for a few days, my wife & daughter are taking care of her. We'll definitely have her thyroid checked. One of us will call the vet tomorrow.