Started Garry On Prozac

This poor guy has been like this since the day he walked into our house (and hearts). He is terrified of any noise, movement..etc. He really likes people, but is too fearful to enjoy life. After much behavioral intervention with no luck he was put on elavil. With no real improvement. Took him off and he actually seemed better...but then it all started again. Even afraid to come down and eat (only for dinner, not breakfast)..won't take afternoon or evening walk, but morning is fine. My heart was breaking for him. I think it is has to do with his memories of summer and fireworks, kids outside etc..as soon as the windows are open he starts to shake. After discussing his behavior with my vet, she consulted behaviorist at U Penn who suggested prozac since it is on ongoing thing. If it was intermittant, she would lean towards zanex..for quick relief. So, today he started on 20 mgs twice a day. I guess she is starting on full dose and not going up gradually. Before we started it, i was giving him benedryl and Midnite (melatonin with lavender,etc.) he seemed to rebound and actually walked in the evening with my husband!

Question: looking for experiences on prozac for noise phobic dogs. also, i am assuming it is ok to give the melatonin along with it for now...since it is a natural supplement? My vet is off today, but I can e-mail her.

I really hope this helps this poor guy!

Guest ss556

Donna, sorry, I don't have any guidance here for you, but am sorry to hear that Garry is so scared. I hope the prozac works for him. I hope you are doing well.

Guest arlosmom

I have two dogs on prosac. One will lick himself until he bleeds and it has helped him tremendously! He is on 20mg twice daily and has had no ill effects. It may make him a little more laid back and Arlo was already about as laid back as he could be so he doesn't really run and play but he is a happy dog. My other is afraid of thunder and also had a callous on his foot that he tended to worry so he is on 10 mg twice a day. However he is thunder phobic and it hasn't really helped that but he is only on 10mg. Tonight my neighbor started up with a chain saw and he is shivering and pacing around. Good luck with it I think it will help an it does not bother my dogs at all. :)

Two things to remember:

1) It may take a week or two to see the full effect of the drug. Make sure you give it enough time to work before evaluating its effectiveness.

2) Not every anxiety drug works for every dog. Prozac may or may not be the drug for your boy. If there's no significant improvement after 3-4 weeks, you should discuss a drug that works on different hormones and/or part of the brain.

I hope this helps for you.

For your second dog, you might consider using the xanax along with the prozac on an as-needed basis for severe sudden attacks.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mcsheltie

I have a dog on Zoloft. Which has really helped her. If that hadn't worked Prozac was next in line. Zoloft took about two weeks before I saw a change. Will be waiting for updates!

Two things to remember:

1) It may take a week or two to see the full effect of the drug. Make sure you give it enough time to work before evaluating its effectiveness.

2) Not every anxiety drug works for every dog. Prozac may or may not be the drug for your boy. If there's no significant improvement after 3-4 weeks, you should discuss a drug that works on different hormones and/or part of the brain.

I hope this helps for you.

This is exactly what the vet said..to give it time...and we would go from there. She said there are other things we can try. We gave the Elavil a long time...maybe too long...since it really didn't do anything...like a year! I am hoping this helps him.

It will probably take more like 4-6 weeks before any of these meds will reach their peak effect. You might ask your vet about giving him Xanax (even on a regular basis) to use in the interim. I've had a lot of luck with melatonin, and you can certainly use that even with him on Prozac.

It sounds as if his anxiety disorder is quite severe. I hope this brings both of you much relief. The vet behaviorist would probably suggest continuing behavioral desensitization even while on the prozac. Are you far from U Penn, in case you'd like to bring Garry in for an evaluation?

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

It will probably take more like 4-6 weeks before any of these meds will reach their peak effect. You might ask your vet about giving him Xanax (even on a regular basis) to use in the interim. I've had a lot of luck with melatonin, and you can certainly use that even with him on Prozac.

It sounds as if his anxiety disorder is quite severe. I hope this brings both of you much relief. The vet behaviorist would probably suggest continuing behavioral desensitization even while on the prozac. Are you far from U Penn, in case you'd like to bring Garry in for an evaluation?

I am giving him the melaton when I get home from work..around three thirty. I am giving him Midnite: http://www.midnitesleep.com/...I have not seen any help from plain melatonin...but I do think I see a slight change in him with this...

I live in NY..too far from U Penn..my vet is a grad of U Penn..and has colleagues there. I am keeping my fingers crossed and being patient...this morning he cam down for his treat before I left..my female always comes down..but he stands at the top of the stairs and looks down..never comes down. today he did..I am hoping this is a step in the right direction for him!

I am giving him the melaton when I get home from work..around three thirty. I am giving him Midnite: http://www.midnitesleep.com/...I have not seen any help from plain melatonin...but I do think I see a slight change in him with this...

I live in NY..too far from U Penn..my vet is a grad of U Penn..and has colleagues there. I am keeping my fingers crossed and being patient...this morning he cam down for his treat before I left..my female always comes down..but he stands at the top of the stairs and looks down..never comes down. today he did..I am hoping this is a step in the right direction for him!

Prozac has been a life saver for my beagle mix. It took 2-4 weeks for it to reach full effectiveness. You'll be amazed at the difference once it kicks in.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Guest maelynnie

Hi, I just filled a prescription for prozac 10 mg. for my Pepper because she is thunder phobic and any loud noise now. I give her valium when I hear the thunder but by the time the med kicks in the storms over. Its so sad to see her standing and shaking, the floor even shakes. I will start her on her prozac tomorrow. I hate giving dogs drugs but she is getting worse. She already is on thyroid meds. Lynn