If You Have A Hound On Prozac/fluoxetine

Rose just started Prozac @ 10mg daily. I'm just wondering, if you have a hound on Prozac, what dosage does he/she take, in mg/day?

Thanks!

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

You will start on 10 and build up after recommended time frames. We started John E at 10 and he was supposed to go up to 30 mgs, but he seemed fine at 20 mgs so that we the dosage we kept him at. For what it's worth, this is a $4 drug at Walmart.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I used to get it from his veterinarian at the U of Penn and I paid $14.95 with shipping. Did you get one month's supply? Of course, I am talking 3 years ago, but, still.

Yes, one month supply. She's taken six doses so far, and if anything, she's worse. He said it'd take two weeks at the VERY least to see a response, and probably more like a month...is that about what you experienced?

Laurie

Sunshine takes 20 mg a day with her supper and it's done wonders! The clomicalm did nothing for her. :rolleyes: We pay $7-8 for 50 pills at costco. It was $6.99 at Wally World, but the aggravation of dealing with that pharmacy wasn't worth it anymore. I will gladly pay an extra $1! She's just starting to be ok with the world on it (been on for a little over 2 months) and the vet said we would keep her on it for at least 6 more months then try to wean her off slowly and see what happens.

You can also ask your vet for some Xanax that works instantly until the prozac kicks in if she's really bad. Plus make sure you get that T4 checked since a low T4 can cause bizarre spookiness

------

Jessica

The difference was very subtle. John E was an anxious dog with leash aggression. It took about two weeks, he didn't get dopey, and really only people who knew him well could see a change. It was as if he wasn't on-guard all the time. I was pleased with the result and saw no reason to wean him off. If he could deal with the world while he was on drugs, then we let him deal. 10 mgs might not be enough for her; just give it time. Good luck.

My beagle/foxhound mix is on 20mg. It's been a life saver for her. In addition to walmart you can also get it for four dollars at target.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Rita was on 25 mg twice a day for generalized anxiety for quite a while. We took her off it b/c it seems to have caused major sub cutaneous bleeding on her at the spot where the blood was drawn and where an IV had been placed during her dental. Her last blood draw after being weaned of it stopped her bleeding problems. Be aware that this can happen to some dogs. It's a shame because it worked well for her.

And yes, it was 4 bucks at Walmart. No aggravation getting it there either. B) It did take a few weeks before we noticed she was calmer and braver.

Thx to everyone who responded and shared results. It helps!

For jensnaz, I can't speak for anyone else, but for my Rose, she is on it because she has no tolerance for being around people, including me. She spends nearly all her time in the corner of my bedroom, afraid of the world. She is even too afraid to go on walks. She will not even sleep in the same room with me anymore. I've spent the last two years working with her, but nothing worked, not even a little bit. I'm really hoping the medication will bring her some relief.

Laurie

When we first got Sunshine she had what I would describe as a mental breakdown. Scared of trees, wind, birds, leaves, cars, car doors, dishwasher, doors, fridge, creek, fear peed/pooped whenever she saw a stranger (we live in an apt) we wont even talk about the elevator! Lol good thing shes cute. We started her on clomicalm, which didnt help. Then found a vet who would let us try a high dose of Soloxin.after 24 hrs on this she met me at the front door and knocked me off my feet!!! So we continued with that for a few months and the winter snow caused another breakdown. We were dragging the 57lb dog out side while she shook like a leaf and would 'forget' to potty. Of couse remembering inside. I called the vet pleading for drugs and she called a script in for us.

Along with us doing tons of socialization and positive training. Its not like we are just throwing drugs at her. Also we couldnt have gotten by w/o our animal communicator, jackie weaver, she somehow get instant results which couples well with the long term prozac. Others will poopoo the AC but I seriously belive that without jackie's help Sunshine would have been bounced.

------

Jessica

My Rocky was on 25mg and it made him the dog he was born to be. It was a life saver for him. He started out on a small dose and we increased gradually. It takes several weeks to see the full benefit or even longer.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

My bridge angel Malone was on Fluoxentine for his canine dementia. And it worked wonders for him He was on a 10 mg dose once a day.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Lucy takes 30 mg for separation anxiety. We started at 10 and built up to 30. When her SA was really bad, the medication was the difference between her being able to be crated and not (without, she was hurting herself trying to get out of the crate). We're just about ready to start weaning her off it, since her SA is now in check and she can be left loose in the house.

We were using Reconcile at first - which was $75/month, from the vet - until I did some research and found out it's just fluoxetine in a beef flavored chew :angry:

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.